1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

californians (well anyone really) hunting plans?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by aficianado, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jul 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    this year is odd. i have three archery deer hunting options. THREE! all three appear to have the same opening day, and 23 day durations. bummer for me.

i'm married, so i cant simply disappear. my most promising hunt in terms of fun and deer success will be a D-zone. 1 week backpack in hunt. get there 1-2 days before the august 17 opener..suss it out. hopefully kill one..eat some and carry the load back out. the meat hauling seems very unattractive to me.

i have a decent B zone hunt. seen some HUGE deer, reachable by brutal day hikes. i get to hunt, camped next to my truck. easy..

my friends property. my shortest hunt..because i cant crash on their couch too long. not alot of deer, but i get a bed and a real kitchen. deer populations are rebounding. parents are cool..

november..AZ squirrel hunting with my bow, pellet rifle and vintage 22!
    late november..abilene texas for cattle roundup and monster mulie and whitetail hunt. no treestands allowed on property..all spot and stalk.

my wife is gonna get annoyed. but i did cancel this year's elk hunt. brother is getting shoulder surgery. :( i am gonna put some miles on the tacoma!!

2. Jul 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Looks like we're in the same part of CA.

I'm heading to D-5, but like you, family (and work) obligations are not going to allow for long-term disappearance. Plus I'm hunting rifle season, so I'll be heading in later.

With luck, I'll head up the last week of the season. I doubt there will be much left to kick around, except non-legal does. But I like hunting enough that it doesn't really matter as I always have a good time. Just wish I knew D-5 better and where to target. I chew up a lot of boot leather every season and my percentages are terrible. Meanwhile the asshats on the ATV's and spotlights are laying waste to the few deer that can be found. I'd go poke around D-4 and D-3, but time is limited for learning the area well enough to even hunt it.

That's why I've started putting in for out-of-state hunts. I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this time around, but I got my pref. point, so I'll put in again next year.

Squirrels…hunting those things is more fun than a person should be allowed. :) The Surprise Valley roundup is always a good time up north.

3. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    GuapOh

GuapOh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 4x4 MT
    Skid Plate, Hood Protector, Wheel Locks, Snugtop XV, Yakima Rack, Weathertechs, Sick Speed Shifter, Avid Bumper, Avid Sliders, Bilstien 5100's, TSB Spring packs
    Take the D hunt. B has fewer options for success.

Products Discussed in

To Top