1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which camp knife to buy?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Lil'Taco, Aug 19, 2013.

?

Which Camp Knife Would You Get?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2013.
  1. ESEE 6

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Ontario RAT-7

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. TOPS Steel Eagle

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. KA-BAR BK9 Combat Bowie

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. TOPS Condor Alert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ESEE Junglas

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Kershaw Camp 10

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  8. Other

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Aug 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    Lil'Taco

Lil'Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Sport DCSB
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel, Coil Bucket Gussets, Spindle Gussets, LCA Cam Gussets, Glassworks 4" fenders, B.A.M.F. rock sliders with fill plates, Decked Drawer system, aFe CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, Blitzpro 21S LED light bar w/ B.A.M.F. behind the grill light bar mount, Red Label Off-road tube bumper, Redline hood struts, Grillcraft grill, Weather Tech floor mats, HID headlights and fog lights... It has more stuff done to it now.
    As some of you might know the quest for the perfect knife never ends. I am currently in the market for a solid camp knife that I will be able to baton wood, split kindling, start a camp fire with a ferro rod, and the occasional bush whacking. Just an all around good survival knife.

I have come up with the following 7 knives starting at 6.5" up to 10". I don't want to go any bigger then 10" or else it would start to become cumbersome to carry around on a small pack or B.O.B.

So starting from smallest to largest:
    ESEE 6
    [​IMG]

Ontario RAT-7
    [​IMG]

TOPS Steel Eagle 107E
    [​IMG]

Ka-Bar BK9 Combat Bowie
    [​IMG]

TOPS Condor Alert
    [​IMG]

ESEE Junglas

[​IMG]

Kershaw Camp 10
    [​IMG]

Other suggestions are welcome but please give specifics as to why you recommend it, as in you own and use it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel, Coil Bucket Gussets, Spindle Gussets, LCA Cam Gussets, Glassworks 4" fenders, B.A.M.F. rock sliders with fill plates, Decked Drawer system, aFe CAI, Borla Cat-back exhaust, Blitzpro 21S LED light bar w/ B.A.M.F. behind the grill light bar mount, Red Label Off-road tube bumper, Redline hood struts, Grillcraft grill, Weather Tech floor mats, HID headlights and fog lights... It has more stuff done to it now.
  3. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    I take very good care of all my knives.

4. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    06indigoink

06indigoink Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    why not get a smaller parang for all these chores, along with a better knife. i get having one that can do it all but if you ever start hunting while your outdoors a big knife that can do all of that is gonna be hell skinning animals/cutting meat. imo

this is what i always carry outdoors anyways. strap the parang in the sheath to the outside of my pack with the knife on the belt.

6. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    I'm used to taking care of a 1095 Carbon Steel Air Force Survival Knife like nobodies business. I used one A LOT before and always thought it could be just a little longer and a much better build (the handle would start to bend when we would baton wood for kindling)

7. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    Thats just about what I'm used to doing but also having a Leatherman for skinning. Then I would like to have the option of this camp knife and/or a forest axe.

8. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I'm looking for a new knife too. A survival type knife to carry in my bug out bag. Not too big of course. I agree, anything over a 6" blade is difficult if you're not really good with a knife.

9. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'm used to carring a 20ish inch forest axe, a bolt knife and a leatherman. The idea was to replace the bolt knife with something just a little longer (longer the 5") but no longer than 10" (and I've even been considering going away from 10" and no longer than8-9")

10. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    Goflight2

Goflight2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2011 4x4 LB
    TRD Supercharger Snug top SL Window Tint 5% rear, 35% front, 40% windshield Avid Off Road bolt on sliders Andres Toyota Horns Hard-wired Garmin Nav Weather Techs 5100's in front Rear TSB Bed Extender OEM Roofrack TRD Exhaust Ultra gauge 18" Monster XD's on Nitto Terra Grapplers
    My personal favorite is my Chris Reeve Green Beret.

11. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    That one doesn't look to bad, but I'm also staying away from any serration

12. Aug 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM
    Goflight2

Goflight2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Southern Cal
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2011 4x4 LB
    TRD Supercharger Snug top SL Window Tint 5% rear, 35% front, 40% windshield Avid Off Road bolt on sliders Andres Toyota Horns Hard-wired Garmin Nav Weather Techs 5100's in front Rear TSB Bed Extender OEM Roofrack TRD Exhaust Ultra gauge 18" Monster XD's on Nitto Terra Grapplers
    My Green Beret
    naryqene_fec6368f46426816ed09879ba701dfa7a1efcbbb.jpg
    umubu3eh_76f658c2af2ec1daa34d25c19b0330d2cd9aaa62.jpg

13. Aug 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    ESEE-5.

1/4" thick with a square spine, solid for batonning.
    Scales also have a "divot" to use as an upper bearing for a bow drill.

I've got both the -5 and the -6... the -5 is much more solid.

14. Aug 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    I'm actually already starting to count the Junglas and Camp 10 out for this particular knife due to the lack of heel on the blade, I hate when I can't take the stone all the way to the edge of it like on all the rest.

I've just about came to the same conclusion only for the fact that they it is 1/4" thick compared to the 3/16" of the ESSE 6 and the fact that this is for the -5 and not the -6:
    http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/Sheath-For-The-ESEE-5-Survival-Knife-p/h-aw.htm

If I had my way the -6 would be 1/4" and Hedgehog leather works would make one for it

15. Aug 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I got the -6 as a part of their Survival kit.
    Got both the kit and the -5 on a group buy on Calguns... the entire survival kit and -6, IIRC, were only a few bucks more than the -5.

Was a bit of a letdown when I got the kit and saw how "wimpy" the -6 was compared to the -5... thought maybe they had a special "cheap" version to pack in the survival kits until I looked up the specs and saw it was correct for the -6.
    http://www.eseeknives.com/comprehensive-kit.htm
    List $217, I think the group buy price was $189.

The -5 is freaking solid. Even if you blast the edge, you could still club an attacker to death with it.
    The glass breaker pommel is a nice touch.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  16. Aug 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    Morning Bump

17. Aug 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    RattleSnake44

RattleSnake44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB PreRunner TRD Offroad
    OME 3" Lift, Dakar Leaf Packs, ARB Front Bumper, Warn M8000 winch
    I second the ESEE Rat-5. I've carried this thing for a few years now. It's beefy and dependable, it's good steel but easily sharpened in the field. The only con is the steel, it requires care. Regular cleaning and oiling. Scrap the crappy nylon sheath that comes with it. Find someone to make you a good kydex sheath instead.

Another solid choice would be the DPx Gear Hest. It's a solid survival/Camp knife as well.

18. Aug 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    TailDrag

TailDrag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Becker for truck and camp.

19. Aug 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    ScudRunner

ScudRunner Three Tacomas Deep

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Twin Cities, MN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4
    IMRYO mirror mount, color keyed front and rear, SCS wheels, 5100 on corners, ALCAN leaf packs, ECGS bushing
    True knife converts laugh at me all the time, but I'll profess:

I spent $25 on a Glock Field Knife.

It's hell to get it sharp (Spring Steel), but holds it's edge great after all the effort.
    It rusts if you don't keep her oiled.
    The sheath leaves something to be desired.

But, dangit, I can not stop making it my go-to camp knife. I just can't fault the thing no matter how much I want to try. For the price, it's a steal.

Looking at your pedigree, you've selected better options, but I just had to throw my 2 bits in. I love to hate the Glock Field Knife.

20. Aug 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    Lil'Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Scotty
    Wilsonville
    Vehicle:
    do you mean the ESEE 5 or the Ontario rat-5?

Products Discussed in

To Top