1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going hunting for a week- what to do for food?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Sido, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Sep 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    Sido

Sido [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anchorage
    Vehicle:
    None
    I haven't been hunting since I was a kid, and I decided to get back into it. I got lucky and drew a deer tag and will be hunting for a week. What do you normally do for food when you are out in a remote area away from civilization?

I was thinking of getting two propane tanks, two coolers with ice, a stove, and a few cast iron pans. For those of you who camp out while hunting, what is your normal routine for breakfast/lunch/dinner? Any tips or special foods to consider?

2. Sep 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    Canned food and a can opener. I remember we had to eat corn and beans for 4 days after a mishap with our food, no joke............we didnt have to but it always makes for a good story.

3. Sep 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Take a fishing pole and catch some Rainbow.
    Dak canned bacon rocks.
    Jerkey, cheese, and crackers don't require refrigeration except for the cheese, don't require cooking, and they can keep you going for a couple of days as long as you drink enough to offset the salt.

4. Sep 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM
    Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRDOR
    Black Sand Pearl factory paint - flattened "au natural" by tree branches.
    Eat what you shoot! :D

Actually, I've taken on a travel lite philosophy so I live off of mostly dehydrated meals. I make quite a bit at home with a food dehydrator, it's easy to make pasta meals. They work the same as the expensive mountain house meals. They're a pretty easy way to eliminate a lot of fuckery around camp. You just boil 500ml of water, dump it in the bag, wait a few mins, eat, throw the bag in the trash and rinse off the fork. Hunting again in minutes. You'll want to take lots of non perishable snack foods too like others have mentioned. It's also imperative to throw the odd grouse/trout into the pan when you come across it too.

I used to do some backpacking so all of that compact feather weight gear gets used everywhere I go in my truck. So with a small backpacking stove and a 500ml pot, a bunch of freeze dried meals and a jug of water, and I can stay out there for a week with the box of my truck completely empty.

I do take a small cooler though, because I like to put ice in my drinks :D

5. Sep 12, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA

Beat me to it, you must not be expecting any success... :D

J/K, If I had to rely on my hunting skills for food, I would go from 25 overweight to dead in a span of a couple weeks.

6. Sep 12, 2013 at 5:58 AM
    JohnnyWayne

JohnnyWayne The Past Through Tomorrow

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Lantana, FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Look out for snakes in the grass guerrilla marketing.
    6 beers and a pack of raw bacon, man style.

7. Sep 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I guess food depends on how good a hunter you are!

8. Sep 12, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Week long trip and you're only bringing 6 beers??? Real manly of you :rolleyes:

OP, I've never been on a week long hunt but have been as long camping in the middle of nowhere. The first few days are easy because whatever you can pack in a cooler will stay good for that long. After that, cheese and crackers, granola bars, gummi fruit snacks, jerky, canned goods (soups and Chef Boyardi canned stuff), etc. I usually bring lots of water and Gatorade also.

9. Sep 12, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    Tacoma VT

Tacoma VT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R. Kessler
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD sport
    OME 884s, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Icon 3 leaf progressive AAL (with overload in), Rear leaf TSB, ImMrYo mirror relocater, ARE Z series cap, Hi Lift jack W/ DIY mount, trimmed Mud Flaps, Devil Horns by Andres, EGR In-Channel rain guards, LED bed lights, Weather Techs
    ^^ This. I make a Gorp for in between meals, and cliff bars. Bring way more beer, and whiskey for bed time. I look for cans with pop tops.

10. Sep 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    truck camping? yeehaw!! it is easy.

trust me when i say to bring fiber. i bring carrots and celery stick to munch on. i also make all my food ahead of time and freeze it. pasta sauces, stew..even marinated meats..i freeze it all. then just pull something out that morning and put it in the drinks cooler to thaw.

i bring ONE big propane tank and run the campstove off it it. i had to buy a $13 hose/adapter to run the 20lb tank on a stove that usually uses those green 1lb bottles. i hate those!! litter.
    i bring one cast iron pan. one kettle, and a pot. my brother packs a turkey fryer burner and a big wok. it is a game changer.

breakfast..oatmeal. lunch sandwiches..dinner my pre-done food. i try not to eat junk and processed food. i get enough of that on my backpack trips.

11. Sep 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Do you have a means of cooking?
    If so, look up a bunch of one-pot meals. Easy stuff like rice & mushrooms or chili. Mix all the dry ingredients together (spices included) and put them into a ziplock and label. Then put that into ANOTHER ziplock (just trust me on this one).
    Bring a good stainless steel pot (NOT aluminum. Even though it's light, it's a bitch to clean in the woods if you're unfortunate enough to burn something onto it) or well-seasoned dutch oven and whatever you need for fresh ingredients. Then when you get back into camp, toss it all in the pot and let it simmer while you do whatever evening chores (splitting firewood, cleaning guns, drinking beer...IN THAT ORDER!) until you're ready to eat.
    Or, if you come in for lunch, put it all into the dutch oven and set it in the coals. Then it'll be ready for you when you come in for the evening.
    Easy peasy.

12. Sep 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Done that.

In college, drove out to Salton Sea to meet my buddy and his folks.
    Got to the campsite and it was empty. Dark, had no clue where they were, so I parked the Chevelle and slept in the back seat.

Got up in the morning and surveyed the contents of my trunk:
    M1-Garand and a 3lb coffee can full of ammo
    Case of Bud.
    2lbs of bacon.
    2 dozen eggs.

Not seeing anything I could (legally) shoot and eat, I opted for a beer, 4 strips of bacon, and 2 eggs.

Used my pocketknife to pop a hole in one end of the egg, stuck the blade inside to break the yolk up, put my finger over the hole, popped a hole in the other end, and sucked the guts out.
    Chewed the bacon down (it wasn't that much different from what was sold as "pastrami" at school).
    Washed it all down with a cold Bud.

Hit the road and cruised through a couple of campgrounds... found them halfway through the 3rd one.

Apparently, the peninsula where they normally stayed was always private property, and after years of people camping there, the owner decided he didn't want it anymore, so the Sheriff was rolling through and running people off. They apparently were programmed to ignore anything as small as a '67 Chevelle.

13. Sep 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Since you said your hunting skills may be lacking, I suggest Spam & military MRI's. :thumbsup: MRI's are all you really need, the Spam is for variety.:rolleyes:

14. Sep 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    MRE... also known as "shit on a shingle" :D

15. Sep 13, 2013 at 3:25 AM
    JohnnyWayne

JohnnyWayne The Past Through Tomorrow

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Lantana, FL
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB TRD Sport
    Look out for snakes in the grass guerrilla marketing.
    The beer and bacon is for the lure, pour 5 of the beers into a small bowl and set it next to the bacon then when the prey comes in for the bacon and beer you whip the last one (bottles can work but I have had most success with cans) at it to stun it for a second then you jump out of your hiding spot and rip it's face apart with your bare hands.

Like I said, Man Style. ;)

16. Sep 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM
    The109

The109 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Access Cab
    Bring a few packs of Mountain House freeze dried food. Just boil some water, pour it in the pack and wait for a bit. After eating trail mix and sandwiches for days it will taste like a 5 star meal. I recommend the breakfast skillet also teriyaki chicken and rice.

17. Sep 13, 2013 at 4:03 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Freeze bottles of water and line the bottom of the coolers with them, hold ice for a long time that way. Get some plastic totes to pack your stuff in, matches, pans, salt, pepper, paper plates, silverware ect. One to put dry goods in, granola bars, bread, jerky, trail mix ect. We get pre made frozen sausage patties in a box and put in gal freezer bag, plastic egg containers, lunch meat, cheese, summer sausage ect, bratwurst, hot links. Stuff easily cooked on grill and camp stove.

18. Sep 13, 2013 at 4:08 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    This is a pretty easy question that has lots of answers. I guess it depends on what you want to carry and if you bring the truck.

A few years ago, I went on a camping/hunting trip for 30 days with a buddy of mine. I carried two rifles (.22 and .308). So I didn't want to carry additional heavy stuff like canned goods. So I packed up clif bars and learned to make dried meals.

But when I go for a week of just hunting (usually twice a year), I bring the truck and whatever I feel like BBQ-ing. If I don't bring the truck, I take canned stuff, tuna packages, those sqeeze yogurts, etc. I stay away from jerky for more than a couple days. Not enough calories.

19. Sep 13, 2013 at 4:11 AM
    bmka87

bmka87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    If you have means of a fire (which I hope you do), we did most of our cooking as a kid on a flat rock instead of bringing a frying pan. Cooked steaks, eggs, bacon, you name it. Just need a spray can of Pam and some steel wool or a greenie to scrub down the rock. Eliminates bringing pans, but will probably only work for the first few days if ice is your only refridgeration, since all these things are perishable.

Oh and to this day, still the best steak I've ever had!

20. Sep 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Make up some foil pack meals, freeze em, then thaw and throw on the coals......chicken, fish, steak, hamburger/sausage, veggies..

To make the bread, build a foil pouch, put some bisquick in, add water till like a paste. Fold up pouch and throw on the coals.

Easy clean up, eat out of the pouch.

Products Discussed in

To Top