1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New to Hunting - Advice or good books you'd recommend?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by neverstuck, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Sep 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    As the title says, I'm new to hunting and aside from learning hands-on from an experienced hunter, I'm looking for good advice, literature, websites, etc for beginners. Specifically good instructional books.

I'm looking for the SAS Survival Handbook equivalent for hunting.

I am in BC, so advice specific to the North or Northwest would be best. Mountains, Coastal, colder climates)

I have a nice Savage 99 in a .284 and will be going after deer, elk, moose.

Thanks.

2. Sep 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    DavidR

DavidR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    I am a whitetail hunter here in the northern tier of NY. I haven't read many hunting books, but I can recommend "Hunting Whitetails by the Moon" by Charles Alsheimer.

3. Sep 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Just found it on Amazon for $185 bucks..... I'll keep an eye out at bookstores.

Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Sep 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I would look for any books specifically related to trajectories. All the other stuff comes best with experience and learning the fun/hard way but learning about bullet drop and compensation at specific ranges as well as angle of attack if you will. Thats tough because you cant actually see where or how you missed when you miss. Don't worry about the fine points too much, if at all actually. There are 100s of ways to do everything and no one thing works all the time. and prey are always learning so doing something new might actually work pretty well. One example, in my area tree stands are commonly used and deer learned to look up into the trees. So I built a little hut out of leaves and branches in the middle of a briar patch. Deer looked up at the tree stand, saw it clear, and took an arrow through the side at 25 yards.

5. Sep 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    Pearcem87

Pearcem87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Some of the best reads for getting started are the local sportsman magazines (most of the US states have them for each specific state). They have everything from gear reviews and interviews to forecasts for public lands, places to hunt, access points, etc. At the end of the day, having someone to show you the ropes or a hunting club to join is by far the most valuable thing to do, but one read that might be helpful depending on what/ how you are hunting is the SAS guide to tracking. If you are a fan of the SAS survival book, it is written and illustrated the same way, and has a lot of good knowledge on general tracking, which would help for scouting, stalking, and of course finding any game to recover it.

6. Sep 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    The meat eater by Steven Rinella. Part educational, part humor. When hunting it is important to remember to laugh and have fun. Great book.

7. Feb 5, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    Pdugan6

Pdugan6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Sunnyvale California
    Vehicle:
    3 link solid axle 2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Advice is get out there and scout the off season. Practice your tracking skills and spot and stalk.

Products Discussed in

To Top