Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Guns & Hunting (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/guns-hunting/)
-   -   Carrying a piece (not a female you sexist) in your truck (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/guns-hunting/7069-carrying-piece-not-female-you-sexist-your-truck.html)

Flycatcher 03-24-2008 10:19 AM

Carrying a piece (not a female you sexist) in your truck

In another thread I saw that a lot of people are carrying in their truck. I am wondering what people are carrying and what they are carrying in? I thought I saw someone mention a safe that fits in the center console. I wouldn't mind having a "friend" in the truck but I don't want to just stuff it under the seat. Anyone have any creative ideas for secure AND fairly quick access? I have a carry permit for MN but half the places I frequent "Ban Guns on these Premises", so I would need to leave it in the truck.

lsocoee 03-24-2008 10:22 AM

danusa has a gun rack mounted over his head.

06tacoma 03-24-2008 10:22 AM

good thread i was thinking the same thing

Flycatcher 03-24-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsocoee (Post 70761)
danusa has a gun rack mounted over his head.

Unless I am mistaken he also has one of those special badges that allow him to carry his guns wherever he pleases. If only my military ID allowed me to carry my M4... I felt naked after getting back from the sandbox.

Coreyjon 03-24-2008 11:20 AM

Amen to that.

buyobuyo 03-24-2008 04:39 PM

Here, in NM, you car is an considered an extension of your home, so you don't need any sort of permit to carry on your car.

While I'm driving, I put my Glock 17 in the pocket below the A/C controls. When parked, I either put it in the driverside door pocket or the center console.

argm31i 03-24-2008 07:32 PM

In SC, you can carry a loaded weapon in a latched compartment in your vehicle without any type of permit. You can carry it on your person if you have a CWP. I do have a CWP, but I also keep a Ruger SP101 5 shot .357 mag. in the center console in a holster at all times in addition to anything I'm actually carrying.

TacoMon 03-24-2008 07:52 PM

This is the way to go. I remember seeing these a while ago on Toyotanation.com. Last I heard, the price was around $250 with a combination cam lock.

http://www.consolevault.com/auto_vault.html

SharkMan 03-24-2008 07:57 PM

I keep a loaded Springfield XD40 in my glove box. Somebody tried to rob me in a alley in downtown Charleston. Let's just say he brought a knife to a gunfight.

argm31i 03-25-2008 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TacoMon (Post 71035)
This is the way to go. I remember seeing these a while ago on Toyotanation.com. Last I heard, the price was around $250 with a combination cam lock.

http://www.consolevault.com/auto_vault.html

The only problem you might have with this is that if you lock it up, it might take too long to access it when you really need it. I mean, I completely agree that you need to secure anything you leave in a vehicle (especially overnight); however, the purpose (at least for me) is to be able to get to it as quickly as possible while still abiding the law. Also, I've found that "out of sight, out of mind" works fairly well in a vehicle. If no-one knows it's there, there's much less incentive to break into your truck in the first place.

07tacoark 03-25-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buyobuyo (Post 70912)
Here, in NM, you car is an considered an extension of your home, so you don't need any sort of permit to carry on your car.

same goes for here in LA. i keep my 9mm in my console and an excessive amount of bullets on hand as well "just in case" :D

nd 03-25-2008 12:46 PM

i have a couple 40's that i'd love to keep in the truck but none of the compartments freakin lock and i dont wanna lose a gun from a smash and grab. i need to get me one of them fancy safe's to go in my console

Flycatcher 03-25-2008 01:18 PM

Just found a much more economical solution for $40 but not sure how strong the cable would be against cutting. Probably not very... Very compact though.

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com...ges/icsafe.jpg

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=564

TacoMon 03-25-2008 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argm31i (Post 71107)
The only problem you might have with this is that if you lock it up, it might take too long to access it when you really need it. I mean, I completely agree that you need to secure anything you leave in a vehicle (especially overnight); however, the purpose (at least for me) is to be able to get to it as quickly as possible while still abiding the law. Also, I've found that "out of sight, out of mind" works fairly well in a vehicle. If no-one knows it's there, there's much less incentive to break into your truck in the first place.

These locks use a 3 digit combo, like briefcases use. Set two of the numbers and leave the third one one digit away. Quick and safe.:)

tigerfan00 04-14-2008 09:38 PM

I carry a Glock 22 .40 and a spare mag pretty much at all times...it NEVER gets left alone in the truck...the few places i go that i cant carry it (bars) it doesnt even get put into the truck in the first place...it stays at home in the safe

Evil Monkey 04-15-2008 11:37 AM

In California, it has to be in a locked container that is not the glove box or a utility box (which I would guess the center counsole would be considered). They also don't recognize any other state's concealed carry permit.

I'm curious if that safe would make it legal though. That's pretty cool.

RedruM29 04-15-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robrjohnson (Post 80495)
In California, it has to be in a locked container that is not the glove box or a utility box (which I would guess the center counsole would be considered). They also don't recognize any other state's concealed carry permit.

I'm curious if that safe would make it legal though. That's pretty cool.

this is probably the eleventeenth time i've said this but i hate California laws.:(

nd 04-15-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedruM29 (Post 80512)
this is probably the eleventeenth time i've said this but i hate California laws.:(

yeah, the only thing good to ever come out of California is TW :)

RedruM29 04-15-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndcouch (Post 80520)
yeah, the only thing good to ever come out of California is TW :)

Ha

Evil Monkey 04-15-2008 10:48 PM

According to the guys at Calguns.net, the safe above would be a legal way to carry a gun in California.

I started looking at other weapons laws. Interestingly enough, California has relatively lax knife laws. For example, it's legal to carry a folding knife concealed on your person regardless of the blade length as long as it's not in the open and locked position. It has to be a folding knife that is manually opened (not flickable or an automatic knife like a switchblade) and is biased toward closing when the blade is near the handle (springs into the handle). I had always thought there was a blade length limit of 2".