Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Guns & Hunting (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/guns-hunting/)
-   -   Favorite Weapon Systems (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/guns-hunting/7886-favorite-weapon-systems.html)

sonic 04-16-2008 01:14 AM

Favorite Weapon Systems
 
Well, as seeing I have posted a few topics about my truck, I only think the next step is to make a post about my other love, Weapons!

Just in case for all you civilians, I am not talking about weapons like Nuclear war heads, I am talking about guns, but in the Army it is policy not to use the word "gun"

So if you are a gun control nut then just turn away. This is not a topic for your ears.

Other than that feel free to discuss your favorite weapons, favorite type of weapons, and weapons you own.

I shall start the discussion off with my all time favorite weapon that I have ever fired.

It is a MK-19(Pronounced Mark nineteen)
It is a Fully Automatic 40mm Grenade launcher. Usually vehicle mounted.
It has 3 rates of fire. Cyclic, Rapid, and Sustained.
In Cyclic it can fire up to 350 rounds per minute. Image that. 350 rounds of 40mm grenades exploding down range. It is one bad ass mother fucking weapon. Not to mention it has like 5 different types of rounds it can fire, ranging from dual-purpose high explosive rounds, to training rounds.

Also, another all time favorite is the M-240B machine gun. It is heavyer than the SAW(M-249) that is popular in video games, but if you have ever been in combat that you can appreciate the larger caliber 7.62 rounds that in fires instead of the smaller 5.56mm rounds that the SAW fires. Also, in my experience the M-240B is also more reliable than the SAW. It is also a 100x easier to clean. One of the bad things is it requires more barrel replacements than the SAW, and as always since it is heavier it is not used for the lite infantry very much. It is usually vehicle, or perimeter mounted.

Others that I enjoy very much are the .50 cal machine gun which every soldier loves to shoot, but hates to carry pieces of cause it is heavy as shit. Also the AT4 lite anit-tank weapon. It is made by SAAB, yes the car company, and it one shot. So after you use it theoretically you just throw the shell away, but in Iraq we were not allowed to do this cause then those sneaky Arabic bastards would use them to make IEDs. It is pretty bad ass.

Also, the old M-16A4 is a good weapon. I used a M-4 in Iraq though. Only difference is the barrel length and collapsible stock, I think. It is also much easier to use the M203 grenade launcher with the M-4 because of the shorter stock. It doesnt hurt your arm pits as much.

Any of you other gun enthusiasts wanna yell at me for not mentioning the shitty AK-47? Bring it on. The mother fucker sucks.

Roland 04-16-2008 05:01 AM

The Mk-19 reminds me of nothing else more than a FAT M-2. It was the last weapon system I learned enough to train anyone on. At first we had a lot of jams with the things because they were absolutely brand new. (I fired the first rounds out the tube on two of them.) Fortunately as they broke in they became very reliable. I'll be honest in saying I wasn't thrilled to have to catch the live HE rounds dropping out of the bottom of the gun when we had to clear a jam. :eek: It's the only weapon I've trained where everyone within 200 meters of the firing line was required to wear flack vests...

We had an AT4 unit for our FATS which we used to train the local SF guys. It's amazing how good that thing is against (simulated) tanks. I was hitting better than 95% of the time. Under combat conditions your mileage may vary :D

I liked the SAW's rate of fire but missed the horsepower of the M-60 I guess the M-240B addressed that problem.

I'm a big fan of precision over volume so my favorite weapons (other than the M-2) were the M-21 and the M-24 sniper rifles. 1" shot groups at 200 yards FTW!

Zebra 04-18-2008 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic (Post 80862)

Any of you other gun enthusiasts wanna yell at me for not mentioning the shitty AK-47? Bring it on. The mother fucker sucks.

in what regard does it suck? i personally love all of the variants of the ak that i own.

as you have probably figured out, i'm an AK kinda guy. if i had a choice on picking one rifle for survival and there was a choice between an AK or AR; i'm going to pick the ak any day

right now i'm a huge fan of the robinson armament XCR. its just something about the .300/221 that turns me on.

ZonKs 04-18-2008 07:31 PM

heavier round, loose tolerances = extreme reliability, virtually unlimited and ubiquitous parts and ammunition, tough as a sledge hammer...so remind me again how the AK-47 is "shitty"?

My favorite weapons platform == by far == is the M14 and all of its iterations: standard infantry rifle, M25, DMR, etc.

joedirt 04-18-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonKs (Post 82130)
heavier round, loose tolerances = extreme reliability, virtually unlimited and ubiquitous parts and ammunition, tough as a sledge hammer...so remind me again how the AK-47 is "shitty"?

My favorite weapons platform == by far == is the M14 and all of its iterations: standard infantry rifle, M25, DMR, etc.

Even the Israelis saw how good the ak was when they designed the galil.

joedirt 04-18-2008 08:05 PM

I personally prefer older weapons, mainly the M1 garand and the '03. It's quite a feat to go into combat armed with a limited round mag or a bolt action. While the destructiveness of modern weapons is truly astounding, there's something to be said about having to charge an enemy line knowing you may only get one or two rounds off.

ZonKs 04-18-2008 09:02 PM

I have an IHC Garand myself. Masterpiece.

ZonKs 04-18-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedirt (Post 82147)
there's something to be said about having to charge an enemy line knowing you may only get one or two rounds off.

Youve obviously never heard about the brits "mad minute" with their Enfields;)

sonic 04-19-2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonKs (Post 82130)
heavier round, loose tolerances = extreme reliability, virtually unlimited and ubiquitous parts and ammunition, tough as a sledge hammer...so remind me again how the AK-47 is "shitty"?

My favorite weapons platform == by far == is the M14 and all of its iterations: standard infantry rifle, M25, DMR, etc.

I have seen haji drop their AKs and pick up a fallen soldiers M4.
Tell me why they would do that?
LOL
My opinion does come from an Infantrymans viewpoint. Granted the 762 round is much bigger than the 556 but, I have seen haji unload an entire magazine at less than 50yards and still not hit a target. Takes me three shots. One to the head, two to the chest.

My survival is proof of the unreliability of the AK when it comes to combat usefulness.

The AK makes its only debut on the usefulness scale with its price. It is cheap to make, and ship. Thats why you don't see wealthy countries using the AK.

Fully auto as a standard issue is not all it is cut out to be. Why do you think the Army went to 3 round burst?

joedirt 04-19-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic (Post 82212)
My opinion does come from an Infantrymans viewpoint. Granted the 762 round is much bigger than the 556 but, I have seen haji unload an entire magazine at less than 50yards and still not hit a target. Takes me three shots. One to the head, two to the chest.

Doesn't that have to do with the training an infantryman receives?

sonic 04-19-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedirt (Post 82244)
Doesn't that have to do with the training an infantryman receives?

Sure it does.
But that also means, that there is a good chance a haji could pick up an m4 and if he is even slightly familiar with the weapon he could nail me as well.

TACOROCK 04-19-2008 01:50 PM

full of shit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic (Post 82212)
I have seen haji drop their AKs and pick up a fallen soldiers M4.
Tell me why they would do that?
LOL
My opinion does come from an Infantrymans viewpoint. Granted the 762 round is much bigger than the 556 but, I have seen haji unload an entire magazine at less than 50yards and still not hit a target. Takes me three shots. One to the head, two to the chest.

My survival is proof of the unreliability of the AK when it comes to combat usefulness.

The AK makes its only debut on the usefulness scale with its price. It is cheap to make, and ship. Thats why you don't see wealthy countries using the AK.

Fully auto as a standard issue is not all it is cut out to be. Why do you think the Army went to 3 round burst?

Hey bud first off let me say something... I THINK YOUR FULL OF SHIT!! IF YOU ARE SUCH A BAD ASS... YOU WOULDN'T TALK... MY GUESS IS YOUR A POG! TRYING TO FRONT.. MAYBE EVEN A NASTY GIRL OR RESERVES.. WHO KNOWS... AND IF YOUR BIG ARMY BEING IN AZ YOU ARE EITHER A RECRUITER OR AT HALO AS AN INSTRUCTOR.... EITHER WAY IT GOES DOWN.. YOUR A DOUCHE BAG!! THANX FOR THE OPPRITUNITY TO SHARE MY OPINION!:) !

kilo 04-19-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACOROCK (Post 82290)
Hey bud first off let me say something... I THINK YOUR FULL OF SHIT!! IF YOU ARE SUCH A BAD ASS... YOU WOULDN'T TALK... MY GUESS IS YOUR A POG! TRYING TO FRONT.. MAYBE EVEN A NASTY GIRL OR RESERVES.. WHO KNOWS... AND IF YOUR BIG ARMY BEING IN AZ YOU ARE EITHER A RECRUITER OR AT HALO AS AN INSTRUCTOR.... EITHER WAY IT GOES DOWN.. YOUR A DOUCHE BAG!! THANX FOR THE OPPRITUNITY TO SHARE MY OPINION!:) !

I'm with TACOROCK. If in fact you did see the enemy pick up one of our weapons or you "HEARD" someone say that, it could mean alot of things. Maybe more ammo for him or none left or more value for him? Who knows? The AK is a good weapon, no ifs about it, just depends on what your favorite weapon is. In combat, you run out of ammo, you have an Ak on the ground with a full mag, would you pick it up and defend your self? Just my 2 cents pencil pusher.

joedirt 04-19-2008 03:09 PM

I will agree that the ak is not as refined as the m16. The ak's we fired at Quantico after Grenada were of poor quality, possibly southeast asian or middle eastern origin, it was hard to tell, but they shot fine for battle rifles.

Although it is not an ak, I have a russian made sks from 1953. I have compared it to other sks's, typically the chinese made versions and there is no doubt in my mind the russian sks is far superior to the chinese one. Whereas the chinese sks utilizes many stamped parts, my russian sks has only milled parts.

joedirt 04-19-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonKs (Post 82171)
I have an IHC Garand myself. Masterpiece.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mine is the Winchester version.

The next item on my wish list is the Johnson rifle, closely followed by the M1917 Enfield chambered for the .303.

ChrisDeSoup 04-19-2008 03:58 PM

My Fav. weapon would have to be my penis, yes my penis.... It's cheap, easy to use, and is a less than lethal way to keep my wife from wanting to talk. :D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D :D:D:D :D:D :D

Giggity, Giggity, Gooooooo

joedirt 04-19-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZonKs (Post 82175)
Youve obviously never heard about the brits "mad minute" with their Enfields;)

Yes, but after the shooting......

you've still got to get to them.

sonic 04-19-2008 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACOROCK (Post 82290)
Hey bud first off let me say something... I THINK YOUR FULL OF SHIT!! IF YOU ARE SUCH A BAD ASS... YOU WOULDN'T TALK... MY GUESS IS YOUR A POG! TRYING TO FRONT.. MAYBE EVEN A NASTY GIRL OR RESERVES.. WHO KNOWS... AND IF YOUR BIG ARMY BEING IN AZ YOU ARE EITHER A RECRUITER OR AT HALO AS AN INSTRUCTOR.... EITHER WAY IT GOES DOWN.. YOUR A DOUCHE BAG!! THANX FOR THE OPPRITUNITY TO SHARE MY OPINION!:) !

Ok Mr. Taco.
I returned from Iraq in early January after finishing a deployment with the 3ID. ROCK OF THE MARNE!!!!!!

All this bullshit you are talking about halo school and whatnot, I have no idea were it comes from.

I am in AZ right now because my mother was in a near fatal motorcycle accident and has completely lost use of her left leg. She continues to battle infection and at this point could still die. My chain of command has given me Emergency leave that will soon result in a Dependency Discharge.

The fact that your overly zealous ignorance to a situation is left untested is almost disgusting. I challenge you Sir, say what you want, but please provide fact because to be honest, I may be an 11B but the old guard is not as stupid as they seem.

I can think of no reason why you would doubt my deployments besides perhaps jealousy? If that is the case, there are recruiters all around, go find one and enlist. Other than that learn to spell, and perhaps learn to not be such an ignorant "online shit talker"

sonic 04-19-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilo (Post 82298)
I'm with TACOROCK. If in fact you did see the enemy pick up one of our weapons or you "HEARD" someone say that, it could mean alot of things. Maybe more ammo for him

Wow, if you really are a Marine, thats even more "ammo" for me when I get back to Benning.

Why would he need more ammo. What weapon would the enemy have that fires a 5.56

dustin19d 04-19-2008 07:19 PM

Im with Kilo and TACOROCK on this one.

Anyhow:
Good thread topic though, I love weapons. And to answer your question I'd have to say The MA Deuce by far the best single weapon. I do Love the M-14 series and I have a love afair with the Garand (Pure perfection!)
I flirt with the H&K P7 on the side.
But I do have a problem with guys getting on the internet and saying anything about anything they did or saw in OIF/OEF. Just save it dude and maybe the History channel will want to interview you in 40 years. We don't want to hear it.

OIF 04-05
OIF 06-08

PS: If you saw an enemy soldier pick up a fallen american soldiers weapon? Where was your front sight post? Weapon follows the eyes! Pencil pushing Deuch!!!!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 PM.