Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Going to Hawaii!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Menametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud ofMenametony has much to be proud of

Navy: ET1(SW/AW), Recruiter @ NRS TriBeCa (NYC)
Menametony's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Menametony
Going to Hawaii!

well.. like the title says.. im going to hawaii... =) first time there.. not sure of what to do.. gonna be there for halloween.. oahu to be exact.. any tips for and outsider? im definitely going to a Luau i think thats how you spell it.. and maybe snorkeling.. what do you locals prefer to do? surfing isnt for me... lol not a strong enough swimmer for that... i love to eat so what do you guys recommend? thanks

Tony
Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
beanZnMyTaCo! is on a distinguished road

Name: beanZ!
beanZnMyTaCo!'s Tacoma Gallery
ooooH! sounds like a plan! will be visiting within the next year! Hawaii's probably the only place i'd love to learn to surf. (i dont mean to thread JACK) but what island would be best to visit with fiance and 1yr old daughter?) we love the beaches out here in cali and know they look and seem 100X better out there! btw! you lucky guy you! were still planning!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
Beanz, Maui is the place to go. Pm me with any questions.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
Beanz, Maui is the place to go. Pm me with any questions.
nah oahu's where its at! haha nah nah

but to the OP if your gonna be here for Halloween make sure to walk the waikiki strip...it's fkn REDICULOUS. one giant party/traffic jam...it's insanity...but pretty fun.

& places to eat.

hit up helena's in kalihi for some good authentic hawaiian food
if your up early mitsuken is pretty close by to helena's...super good
closer to waikiki there's rainbows...classic plate lunches.
lenoard's malasadas for sure
shave ice places...matsumoto's is the tourist trap..hella long lines but pretty good...in town there's wailana's...pretty hard to find but super good and way less crowded than matsumoto's.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
sthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsthrnprd116 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
sthrnprd116's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't been to that island but should be fun! Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
KCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud ofKCin HBCA has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Retired
Name: Keith
KCin HBCA's Tacoma Gallery
Do the show at the Polynesian Cultural Center, it's a little pricey but worth the money. Here is the link...

http://polynesianculturalcenter.com/...FQgEbAoda2r3Cw

Jimmy Buffet's Surfrider restaurant is a great place too! We loved to sit along the streetside (you're on the 2nd floor) and watch the crowds. It's right next to the International Market in Waikiki.

Lot's of beaches to explore, if you are going to be mobile (rental car). Pearl Harbor... Dole Plantation... tons of stuff to keep you busy.

Have fun! and thanks for serving!
Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
NUB
Tacovette is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired
Name: Eddie
Tacovette's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacovette
Yeah what they said...lol Also try calling the ITT office at the NEX Mall. You can get discounts on the touristy stuff.http://www.greatlifehawaii.com/index...ial&Itemid=155

Hanauma Bay is nice for snorkeling and it's free to military. FYI you have to watch a 20min video on park rules. http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html

If here for Halloween bring a costume it is pretty crazy here.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I agree Maui is the island to see! But if you are going to Oahu go to the Arizona Memorial and pay your respects and take a tour of Big Mo!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
since youll be on oahu...hit up rainbow drive thru..every time i go back home to visit family thats one place i hit up. like hedlesbrmstkbass said..matsumotos is good. ya long lines, but once you go youve been dont have to do it again, and its got a cool little vibe going on.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #14
toytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant future
Name: Jason
toytacoma22's Tacoma Gallery
Lei Lei's bar and grill is pretty good it's in the Turtle Bay resort area. Germaines family luau was pretty good we went there because it was the luau a local reccomended to us. Matsumotos is also a good place to get some shave ice. If you want to do some snorkeling I would reccomend Hanauma Bay. Also be sure to check out the dole plantation and get some pineapple ice cream. If you are looking for a place to stay still I would reccomend getting a condo check vrbo.com for that. We stayed at this condo http://www.vrbo.com/110643 it was really a great experience. Both me and wife want to move to HI now just not sure which island yet; we still need to visit the Big Island and Maui.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
10trdgirl is on a distinguished road

Name: Becky
10trdgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the International Market Place in Waikiki. Hanuma Bay for snorkeling, Waimea Falls,and North Shore for surfing. You have to go to Pearl Harbor. I highly recommend the Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium for gifts. Such a beautiful place to visit. Mahalo and aloha.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #16
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10trdgirl View Post
North Shore for surfing.
i dont recommend this for tourists and for learning. waikiki would be the best place IMO for learning and for tourists... hate to say it but you'll most likely get shit from the locals at NS.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
X2 shit from the locals or beat to shit from the waves, it happens every year on maui
Old 10-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #18
808trdsport has a spectacular aura about808trdsport has a spectacular aura about

808trdsport's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on hitting up Waikiki on Halloween. It's nuts. x2 on Arizona memorial, you can pick up some flowers and drop it into the water (i think you can anyway, i seen it done on the tv). If you like hiking there is tons of trails, just make sure you stay away from the real treacherous ones. Food wise http://www.cheapplacestoeatinoahuhawaii.com/foodblog/
check this out.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #19
07navajoTACO will become famous soon enough

Navy: BM3-USS MISSOURI/ USS MT. VERNON
Name: Mike
07navajoTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Like some of the guys said, check out the strip along the beach in Waikiki. I recommend snorkeling in Hanauma Bay. It is killer. The fish will come to and all. Are you in the service. You have to stay at the Hale Koa hotel right next to the Hilton. That place is nice. The resturants and bars are awesome. Check out the Arizona and the Missouri Memorial. I was stationed on the Missouri and served on that ship for 3 and a half and years. I was on there during Desert Storm and decommissioning. You're gonna have a great time there. Oahu was like our second home port. We were there at least 5-6 times a year.