Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Kauai or Big Island?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Kauai or Big Island?

The family wants to do another vacation within the islands. We did Maui 2 years ago when the Super Ferry was here. Went camping with the truck at Haleakala and Sacred Pools. Kinda wish the Super Ferry was still around.

But anyways, we need to make a choice between the Big Island or Kauai for our next trip. We are moving back to California soon and will not be able to hit up any other island.

My wife and I are in our early thirty's with a 5 year old and a near 1 old boy. What would be better for us?

I have been to the Big Island for training (Pohakuloa Training Area) so I have a sense of what is there but would love to see more.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Maksimus54 is on a distinguished road
Maksimus54's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't been to the big island, but my impression is it would be more enjoyable for the kids. When my family went to kaui it was very green and rainy with little usable beach. We got almost no snorkeling in and while it was a nice time, I've always preferred Maui for the accessibility of the beaches.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
JoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired MSgt
Name: Whip
JoePa Fan's Tacoma Gallery
My personal preference would be Kauai, however, with the young children, you may be better off on the Big Island.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
My manager has been going to Hawaii for years, but he recently went to Costa Rica for his honey moon and he says he'll never go back to Hawaii again...just a thought
Old 11-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I say big island, check out the green sand beachs, and go hiking or what not up the volcano. I went last march and had a blast. I liked it because there werent alot of tourists its got a lil more countryside to it.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
im from the islands and i can tell you that theres not too much to do on the big island. but like i said im from there, so it could be different for somebody from the outside coming in
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
My manager has been going to Hawaii for years, but he recently went to Costa Rica for his honey moon and he says he'll never go back to Hawaii again...just a thought
how is this any help?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
big island
Old 11-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Big Island for sure! lol I'm a little biased but IMHO if you want to sightsee there's a lot of sightseeing opportunities here with so many different landscapes (desert, wetland, forest, coastal, mountains, valleys, and countryside)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Thats right I forgot about the forest that was awesome.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
Jays2010Taco is on a distinguished road

Navy: DCC
Name: Jay
Jays2010Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
The family wants to do another vacation within the islands. We did Maui 2 years ago when the Super Ferry was here. Went camping with the truck at Haleakala and Sacred Pools. Kinda wish the Super Ferry was still around.

But anyways, we need to make a choice between the Big Island or Kauai for our next trip. We are moving back to California soon and will not be able to hit up any other island.

My wife and I are in our early thirty's with a 5 year old and a near 1 old boy. What would be better for us?

I have been to the Big Island for training (Pohakuloa Training Area) so I have a sense of what is there but would love to see more.
Dean,
go with the big island. Go to the KMC website you can get nice cabins at the army rec place there for cheap and they are great right next to the crater. Also when I went we did parker ranch it is awsome. the KMC base has an MWR that will set you up with military discounts for all that stuff. PM me if you want the links and more info. Never been to Kauai so not to sure bout that one.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #12
jw72 is a jewel in the roughjw72 is a jewel in the roughjw72 is a jewel in the roughjw72 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jeff
jw72's Tacoma Gallery
Been to the Big Island and Kauai, Both were boring for me after 3 days (no bars kicking past 9 pm). I found Poipu beach in Kauai great for my family. The big island had some fun resorts. I never camped, but if I did with a family it would be South part of Kauai near Poipu. North part of Kauai was full of full time campers (dread locks and chicks who have not shaved in months.). Hope this helps, Have fun!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
i think you would find kauai a little boring for the young one, not many good beaches to just hang out at cause the water is to rough,
never been to the big island.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up in Hawaii, and have been to both islands. I would definitely say that the Big Island would be the best place for you and your family to visit. Beaches are better there and there are more "tourist" type of activities to see and do. Just my 2 cents! Whichever island you do decide to you will all have a great time.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:16 PM   #15
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i just got back from kauai and it was amazing!!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I was there from the 20-24. What did you get to see?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
saw the whole island by land, air and by sea i was there from the 22nd to the 29th.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
Mall Crawler

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to see it by air and sea but I have two boys that are not big enough for that yet.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
Banned
the helicopter ride was pretty intense when we went from the land over to the ocean there was quite the up draft then a sudden down draft it was a very great ride tho. then the sailboat was pretty cool saw dolphins whales then snorkling was very great