LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Oahu 4x use..

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
raycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud of

Name: Neil
raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Oahu 4x use..

Just trying to get a good gauge..

Eyeing up a 4x4, but only real use woul be for when the boy grows up ( now 22 months), and taking him camping up peacock flats or somthing.

Other camping spots are fine with my pre.

So seriously, for Oahu 4x4 owners only.. How often you actually switch into 4 hi/lo?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Taco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant futureTaco4Fish has a brilliant future
Name: j
Taco4Fish's Tacoma Gallery
I have it, hardly use it. I go kaena often to fish, you'll need it if your gonna through sand and mud. Be careful now there on the look out for 4wheelers tearing up the land esp the sand dunes with the native plants!!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
There's only 1 purely legal place to go on oahu, the 4x4 park on sand island.

If you really just want to get off road and tear up the scenery, yea east side you'll need 4x4. Leeward not really. Some of peacock flats, but if you're taking an IFS truck up that, you'll probably be avoiding the tough stuff anyway. Ride in a friend's jeep, it'll be more fun.

I have 4x4 for "just in case" and I'm a bit of a "survivalist" type thing and am moving to mainland soon-ish. Comes down to, why not get the 4x4. But can you use it on oahu? Not really. Can you even come up with occasion to use it? Not unless you work construction/farming have a lot of land on windward side or have like family access to pig hunting trails.

I did get my 2wd truck stuck on my property up on the north shore once. But was a VERY particular circumstance that would never happen again.

You shouldn't be driving on the beach on oahu, so sand is out too.

So yea. Why not buy the 4x4 just in case. But if you're already stretching the budget. No.

Its not much of an "off roader" anyway unless you SAS the truck. IFS has like.. 6 inches of travel in the front. Rear isn't great either .

Mokuleia will beat the crap out of that suspension. No fun at all and its not designed for it. Get a dirt bike and head out to kahuku or down to sand island to get "tearing shit up" out of you.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
raycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud of

Name: Neil
raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Took my 1st gen pre out to kaena back in the day. That locking diff was engaged only a handful of times in the 9 years that I had it. I burried it in some sand cause I needed to know what it could handle.

Want a 4x one day, but I think it would be more for the "just in case"..

Wife thinks the pre is really all I need.. Like she knows anything anyway...lol..
Old 03-01-2011, 01:36 AM   #5
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Don't go getting all wrapped up in "NEED" now. You can ride the bus if you "NEED" to get somewhere.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
Me l've got brains.

Oh yea.. and last time I was out at the kaena bird sanctuary... a dodge neon was just turning around and heading back. 4x4 is usually just for VERY hairy situations and people that don't have skill or time to drive the path correctly.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
Jays2010Taco is on a distinguished road

Navy: DCC
Name: Jay
Jays2010Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Um ok, not sure where you guys go at peacocks but if you wanna really explore up there you will need 4X4. go to the camp grounds than no. If you like to go keana during flash flood conditions and go off the path for a different expierence than you will need it. and when did the 4X4 place finally open out at sand island? can you ride quads out there now?