Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

You store gas?

Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
You store gas?

After last night/this mornings events, wife said" maybe we should have a 5gal gas tank filled just in case..

I have a 2gal tank for the lawnmower, but almost never always filled.

Anyone store some fuel for the "just in case"? If so, plastic or off-road metal? Where do you keep? Just on the side of the house?
Old 03-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
I keep a couple of five gallons cans around...up the hill from the barn, under a tarp, on a pallet. I use it for various pieces of power equipment and it never goes bad, it gets used and replaced first.

If it does go bad, it gets reused to burn bush piles.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I wouldn't say store but I have a 5 gallon jug full from my quad. I use Stabil in it so it doesn't go bad.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, just read something that should use stabil, and should use/rotate within 3 months.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
Banned
pilotj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
pilotj's Tacoma Gallery
Ya know, sometimes you put your foot in your mouth and sometimes its both and you swallow.

Sorry about that folks.....
Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #7

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotj View Post
Even at $5.00 a gallon, it will be cheaper than your hospital bills and rebuilding your life...
You don't have the safety know how to store any amount of gasoline over a couple of gallons.
Ummm.. did you read the initial thread and possibly the forum in which this was posted, or did you just read the title and respond?

The thread was posted in the Hawaii forum, and stated that:
"After last night/this mornings events, wife said" maybe we should have a 5 gal gas tank filled just in case"

First, I am not wanting to store gas because of the rising fuel prices, so price has nothing to do with it.
Second, I am not wanting to store gallons and gallons in case of the world economy meltdown, just a 5 gallon container, in the case of a natural disaster to fill up a vehicle/generator.

Not sure if you are aware, but Hawaii was under a tsunami warning, and subsequently got hit with a small tsunami. When any "natural disaster" is on it's way (i.e hurricane/tsunami/weather generated power outage), everyone runs to the gas stations to fill up. Lines can be hours long, and doesn't help the situation by adding into the already congested streets and possible public panic.

If you don't think I have enough knowledge to store 5 gallons, the I guess I shouldn't even store 2 gallons for my lawn mower.. Then again, I would have to assume you don't think I have enough know how to own a gas powered lawn mower..

Appology accepted if in fact you didn't read the questions asked.... If not, please explain your rationale for your reply, cause not sure what substance your reply has to my thread.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Ummm.. did you read the initial thread and possibly the forum in which this was posted, or did you just read the title and respond?

The thread was posted in the Hawaii forum, and stated that:
"After last night/this mornings events, wife said" maybe we should have a 5 gal gas tank filled just in case"

First, I am not wanting to store gas because of the rising fuel prices, so price has nothing to do with it.
Second, I am not wanting to store gallons and gallons in case of the world economy meltdown, just a 5 gallon container, in the case of a natural disaster to fill up a vehicle/generator.

Not sure if you are aware, but Hawaii was under a tsunami warning, and subsequently got hit with a small tsunami. When any "natural disaster" is on it's way (i.e hurricane/tsunami/weather generated power outage), everyone runs to the gas stations to fill up. Lines can be hours long, and doesn't help the situation by adding into the already congested streets and possible public panic.

If you don't think I have enough knowledge to store 5 gallons, the I guess I shouldn't even store 2 gallons for my lawn mower.. Then again, I would have to assume you don't think I have enough know how to own a gas powered lawn mower..

Appology accepted if in fact you didn't read the questions asked.... If not, please explain your rationale for your reply, cause not sure what substance your reply has to my thread.
owned...

and sounds like a good idea OP, just put stabilizer in it or use and replace it every month or so.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Nope too much work for a 'what if' and too little return on all that work even if I did ever need it. 5-gal is simply to little to do much. Especially when I can steal gas from parked cars if it comes down to it. Ohh btw they sell containers of gas that is sealed in a container for long term storage.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
Gas goes bad after a while.
Not really..not for a long time if stored in a carb canister.

Store it in something that evaporates and yea, it'll evaporate into varnish. Like in a carburetor. Keeps getting fed, keeps evaporating, pretty soon you have tons of crap. I try to cycle mine out every once in a while, but not for a year or more, never a problem. Stored in air tight plastic cans, and full.

I keep about 15 gallons around. What good would my generators be without. Of course, you get a cheapy site generator you need 50-100 gallons. My hondas do about 10-15 hours straight on a gallon. same in a site generator would be about 10-30 gallons watt for watt.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #11

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post

I keep about 15 gallons around. What good would my generators be without. Of course, you get a cheapy site generator you need 50-100 gallons. My hondas do about 10-15 hours straight on a gallon. same in a site generator would be about 10-30 gallons watt for watt.
yea, I figure my small Honda can run for 12 hours on one gallon.. That could at least keep the fridge going ir a couple of days.

Long term storage container different that the "regular" gas cans they have at HD?

I would probably use stabil and rotate every 2-3 months. Stabil hv any negativ affect on your car engine?
Old 03-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
stabil is only needed in engines. Keeps stuff from falling out of the gas or replaces those things that do. I store gas in my generator, I just shut off the fuel feed and drain the carb. No problem. I tried stabil in the hondas once, after 30 days both were clogged, pain in the ass to clean carbs that small.

In a gas can, don't think stabil will do anything, unless it's vented, which would be an old gas can, not legal anymore.