Moving to Oahu

Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
SoCal Taco
EODTACO is on a distinguished road
Marines: Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Name: Bryan
EODTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to Oahu

Just got orders to K Bay this summer and was wondering about island life. Where would be a good place to look to rent a home? Good places to wheel? Good mechanics if I end up needing one at some point. And any other good info about the island would be awesome!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODTACO View Post
Just got orders to K Bay this summer and was wondering about island life. Where would be a good place to look to rent a home? Good places to wheel? Good mechanics if I end up needing one at some point. And any other good info about the island would be awesome!
- Lots of Marines I know stay on that side of the island.. (Kaneohe/Kailua) But it's Oahu, so almost anywhere is close to everywhere else?

- Most go out to Kaena Pt. or to Peacock Flats. There are pics in this forum.. Just respect the land and you will get respect..

- I guess depends what needs fixing.

- At the risk of sounding (whatever), we have had many good friends who were in the military, some of our best friends.. Lots of different opinions and feelings. The positive comments have definitely come from those whom take the mindset that:
1. You need to get into the culture. Make some friends with some locals and your whole experience can be a different one.
2. Remember to respect the locals. Even though you will be calling this your home for the next 3 years (or more), this IS the home to many people who have been here since birth (I am one- born and raised). Respect the culture, respect the people, respect the land. Don't drive like you are on the mainland (I for one don't give a crap if I'm in the left lane.. If I'm already speeding, you don't need me to move over so you can pass.. you go around)
3. (at least for me).. the term haole is no always derogatory. It can be as in (f-ing Haole), but very loving as my wife is often referred to as my Haole-girl.

P.S.. Thanks for serving our country...
P.P.S.. When is your truck and furniture leaving, I wanna throw a new OME leaf pack into your container!!.. lol..
P.P.P.S.. Buy your truck parts now and ship it over. Shipping to Hawaii sucks...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Just make sure you respect everyone and everything- things like littering and waste are really frowned upon... I don't really know as much about Oahu but in Hawaii in general everyone knows everyone, so if you make a few friends they'll quickly multiply-but theres always those people that try to make trouble..Just ignore them and you'll be fine.

Get ready for food! I have a bunch of Marine/Army friends over there that find it hard to keep their PT standards with all this Hawaiian food around...I've never met a Soldier or Marine that didn't like some Kalua pork or lau lau. Not many states in the US have a completely different culture to combine foods with.

Keeping with what Raycie said, you're also gonna be introduced to a different kind of language... Broken english with tons of words from different languages thrown in. The faster you learn the language, the easier it is to figure out what some of the "really local" guys are saying. Get ready for Hawaiian words with too many vowels to count.
(I live in kealakekua, my favorite places to camp are called Makalawena/Kiholo...stuff like that)
Just my .02.
Mahalo for your service, and be prepared for ridiculous shipping rates!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Build it before you ship it! As for the "respect the land stuff" Just don't come out here and act like a douche... For some reason the military comes out here and thinks this place owes them something. That attitude doesn't get people very far...
Old 04-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
njbran82 will become famous soon enoughnjbran82 will become famous soon enough

Marines: 0317
Name: Nate
njbran82's Tacoma Gallery
Pm sent
Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
SoCal Taco
EODTACO is on a distinguished road
Marines: Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Name: Bryan
EODTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Guys

I appreciate all the info guys. I was going to hold off on my second round of mods but I am sure I will safe a ton on money if I do them on the mainland.

I don't have any dates yet, I still have a few weeks left in Afghanistan before I get back stateside to get my orders. If you really want something from the mainland let me know and I will see what I can do, I SHOULD be moving at the end of summer.

I have passed though the island for a few days here and there and have enjoyed the culture from what I have seen. And the food is awesome, I am going to have to watch myself when it comes to that!

Thanks again guys and I will hit you up on the forum once I get out there!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO
CCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 19 EMS AERO REPAIR/CRASH RECOVERY
Name: Shawn
CCFBERG's Tacoma Gallery
I WANT ORDERS TO HAWAII NOW!!!!!!! I think thats all Ive ever wanted out of the USAF! But no....I keep getting cold ass grey sky! BOOooooo! All of you in Hawaii, enjoy what you have and respect where you are cuz there are a lot of us that will never be lucky enough to get those orders! You could be stuck in Germany
I Love Oahu! Always have and cant wait to get back there sometime!

Ohh ya and good looking out to you who offered up the Island info! If Im lucky to get orders there out of Germany I will def read and heed and maybe hit you up for info myself if I can...wish me luck and maybe we meet someday!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
^^lol. I would love to get stationed in germany.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO
CCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCCFBERG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 19 EMS AERO REPAIR/CRASH RECOVERY
Name: Shawn
CCFBERG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
^^lol. I would love to get stationed in germany.
Well Ill trade you for Vegas then! Got friends there and love it there also! Germany is good to vissit but not to live in. Its a gigantic pain in the ASS! Cant even wash my truck or bike at my house without wondering if the German guy accross the street is going to call the Polizie on me when he is done washing his car for the fith time today LOL! thats how they are! All up in your junk! Trust me the pain goes deeper than just that and its grey here alllllllll the time! I need Water, beach, sun, and fun! I know, theres no water in Vegas but,,,,still! I did 10 years at Fairchild before this......Im a Cali kid, I require SUN!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
FREEDOMRIDING.COM
freedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant futurefreedomriding has a brilliant future

Navy: Deep Sea Diver
Name: Freedom Riding Co.
freedomriding's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Build it before you ship it! As for the "respect the land stuff" Just don't come out here and act like a douche... For some reason the military comes out here and thinks this place owes them something. That attitude doesn't get people very far...
Agreed... and show plenty aloha
Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
bigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of lightbigwalton15 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Jared
bigwalton15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomriding View Post
Agreed... and show plenty aloha
Freedomriding, were you parked in town yesterday. I swore I saw your rig parked maybe on Ward mid day, cant remember.