1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

There is no way this is that easy...

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by myname150, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    myname150

myname150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    PT Barnum said something.... I'm trying to remember what it was.... this really famous quote.... Something like: "There's a trucker mourned every minute." I dunno....

3. Jul 5, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    BUZZCUT

BUZZCUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    You could get 20 hp easier with a "type R" sticker.

4. Jul 5, 2011 at 11:24 PM
    Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport 4x4 SR5 V6
    Garage Fabbed +2 LT, FOA 2.5 RR w/ Comp Adj, 35 XMTs on Level 8s, 50T Spring Under w/ 13" Shackles, Elite Front Bumper, AP Rear, Retrofitted, Wicked Flow, Custom Roof Rack, Custom Sliders, Custom Scratches, 12" JL and an Audiopipe amp.
    If you have one on the front and one on the back it gives you a total of 50hp more.

5. Jul 5, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thomas, The little truck that could
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.

it is that easy on most cars or truck to replace stock and upgrade to aftermarket intake.

and he's right it wil make a lil difference, mostly sound tho, but if u pair it with an exshust system it will be alot better.

hence most stock air intake crate restriction, upgrading to aftermarket take take away some restriction, so if u pair with exhust to get the air out faster, bcuz ur aftermarket intake lets more in, it will pair nicer than just an intake.

6. Jul 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Painted badges. Bedlined grille, wheels and lower valence. Billies 5100 @.85 up front. Dodger Jack Ball Mod. Custom trail damaged rear bumper (for the time being). Lil LED light bar on grill. Hard-wired Radar Det. Custom Projector fog lights, Anytime Fog Mod, HIDS, White LED accent lighting on a Single post double toggle swicht, so they light up wit my door/dome light, or always on, or never on. LED map and dome lights.
    but most car companys tune engines to run the best with stock componets, so sometimes u lose bottom end (torque) and gain top end (hp).

7. Jul 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    Its a given lol. This is were everything goes then ends up in the FL section :rofl:

8. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    myname150

Member:
    Yeah if it's not worth the time and effort then I might not even bother doing it to my truck.

I do have an Aftermarket Muffler the Aero Turbine one, who know's if it'd still make a difference then.

9. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:

yea if u hav one already, just get an intake to go with it, or just get an aftermarket drop in, like k&n or afe and such, i would go with a dry one so u dont have to hassle with oil every time u clean it, a drop in would be enough since our intakes already kinda draw cold air from the fender or whatever, u just mainly need to add the hi-flow filter out of an intake system, unless u would want to run a Ram air set up :cool:, which is where u always see the most numbers for intakes

how was your muffler after install, did it feel more powerful or more faster or neither?, lol

10. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:47 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    moose your a technical guy i have a question for you here. in the passenger side wheel well of the 4 banger tacos like ours there is a giant baffle or restrictor of some type connected to the air intake.

what is its purpose when we installed the snorkel on my truck it had to be removed as it conformed to the entire passenger side fender its very large and quite strange. any idea what its purpose is?

its size is not done justice by photos it literally conformed to the inside of the fender and started right behind the headlight and went all the way back to the antenna mast!

IMAG0426.jpg
    IMAG0424.jpg

11. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    40 + 10 + 4 = $45? :confused:

12. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    i would think this would with its little secondary pass through kill the air intakes ability to get any useful amount of air to the engine. we took it out because it would have been impossible to mount the snorkel with its 5 studs protruding though.

i have an exhaust on my truck muffler back and i'm running 2.5 inch diameter pipe and a flowmaster 40 series muffler. since it was installed when ever i rolled off the throttle it would pop and back fire lol. since i have had the snorkel on i would say 95% of that is gone and it seems to perform better now.

what service should i be looking at doing to further improve the performance and get rid of the last little bit of popping out of my pipes? a reflash of the ecu or just engine tuning? thanks in advance any suggestions would be a big help.

13. Jul 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I haven't taken the fender or air intake off. So if I told you I knew, I'd be lying. But - not knowing has never prevented me from making a guess. As long as you and I both know that what I'm doing is guessing. :p

The photo doesn't show - but I'm guessing it's open at both ends and it's the air intake itself? In which case the only question is: why is it such a funny shape for the job at hand.

The answer *might* be so that the plastic wheel well liner has some structure to butt up against.

The other possibility would be that increasing the volume of the chamber makes the intake quieter. Manufacturers are always trying to make cars quieter. Aftermarket air intakes, on the other hand, often deliberately wants to make engine noise louder, since consumers often equate "louder" with "more powerful."

14. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    myname150

Member:
    Yeah Next Air Filter I'm doing is probably a drop in one. I mean yeah what good is having a performance muffler if the air cant even come in fast enough? lol, and I give toyota big kudos for essentially making our intake a "cold-air" intake from the factory. I've always thought the main purpose of a Cold-Air intake is to take in denser air (colder air), and well when conventional intakes are done, most just have the intake sitting right above the engine drawing in warm/hot air from the Engine bay (i see this all the time in Honda Civics), but our Intake on the other hand draws "cooler" air in from the passenger side wheel well.

Anyways, It's still the stock piping i think 2.5", just cut out the stock muffler and welded in the new one. And I can tell you this:

I noticed that driving around the city is A LOT better (which is where I do most of my driving). Before I'd push the pedal down the same amount to get up to speed (2,000PRM~). Now after the new Muffler I noticed I don't have to accelerate as hard (1,500RPM), so my guess is there is some more torque in the lower RPMs that wasn't there before, and my guess is this is what led to my better MPGs around the city. Also, I'd have to accelerate even harder when I had a full truck, but now I don't (all 5 seats were filled, mostly college folks, we're not that fat :D). Even when I had the bed filled with bags of mulch, it felt like I had more torque/power in the lower RPMs that I never had before. So yeah, I'd highly recommend the AT2525 Muffler for those with the V6 tacoma.

15. Jul 6, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    thats pretty much what i did with my moms honda

cept i found those sceptre air filters at autozone for $25

16. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well the reason "cold air" is better for engines, bcuz the cold air makes the combustion inside ur enigine bigger, thats why your truck or car or bike always feels faster or powerful in the morning or night than it does in the middle of the day.

also engines run different in altitude, if u run a car on a 1/4 mile on the beach, you would get different numbers then if u run the same car at like a track at like 4,000 ft above sea level.

but all that is more for like drag/track cars, daily drivers dont really have to go deep into getting the best top notch ratios becuase u dont really need it as much, i guess.

that muffler u have is legit too, ive been looking around a lil for performance parts for our trucks, i want one with little to no extra noise, i rather be stealthy :cool:, my old car had glasspacks and im kinda over any kind of drone, mine was loud as fuk tho, no joke, i used to be able to drive through the parking structre at the mall and atleast one car alarm would go off everytime, friends use to say they could here me coming way before they even saw me lol

17. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    Grande

Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:

yea i seen those same ones there too, and they hav assorted colors ahahaaha :D

18. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Fixed.

19. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Subbed for continued thread moving.

20. Jul 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Why would I do that? Isnt it a Hawaii thing?

Products Discussed in

To Top