Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

There is no way this is that easy...

Old 07-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
There is no way this is that easy...

I was just watching this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggREWEs3Z6M?version=3

Well...if it's so darn easy hell I might do this with my truck
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
PT Barnum said something.... I'm trying to remember what it was.... this really famous quote.... Something like: "There's a trucker mourned every minute." I dunno....
Old 07-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
You could get 20 hp easier with a "type R" sticker.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
Carson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to beholdCarson is a splendid one to behold

Name: Carson
Carson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
You could get 20 hp easier with a "type R" sticker.
If you have one on the front and one on the back it gives you a total of 50hp more.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Name: John
Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname150 View Post
I was just watching this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggREWEs3Z6M?version=3

Well...if it's so darn easy hell I might do this with my truck

it is that easy on most cars or truck to replace stock and upgrade to aftermarket intake.

and he's right it wil make a lil difference, mostly sound tho, but if u pair it with an exshust system it will be alot better.

hence most stock air intake crate restriction, upgrading to aftermarket take take away some restriction, so if u pair with exhust to get the air out faster, bcuz ur aftermarket intake lets more in, it will pair nicer than just an intake.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Why is this in 2nd gen?
Its a given lol. This is were everything goes then ends up in the FL section
Old 07-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #8
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post
it is that easy on most cars or truck to replace stock and upgrade to aftermarket intake.

and he's right it wil make a lil difference, mostly sound tho, but if u pair it with an exshust system it will be alot better.

hence most stock air intake crate restriction, upgrading to aftermarket take take away some restriction, so if u pair with exhust to get the air out faster, bcuz ur aftermarket intake lets more in, it will pair nicer than just an intake.
Yeah if it's not worth the time and effort then I might not even bother doing it to my truck.

I do have an Aftermarket Muffler the Aero Turbine one, who know's if it'd still make a difference then.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Grande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really niceGrande is just really nice

Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by myname150 View Post
Yeah if it's not worth the time and effort then I might not even bother doing it to my truck.

I do have an Aftermarket Muffler the Aero Turbine one, who know's if it'd still make a difference then.

yea if u hav one already, just get an intake to go with it, or just get an aftermarket drop in, like k&n or afe and such, i would go with a dry one so u dont have to hassle with oil every time u clean it, a drop in would be enough since our intakes already kinda draw cold air from the fender or whatever, u just mainly need to add the hi-flow filter out of an intake system, unless u would want to run a Ram air set up , which is where u always see the most numbers for intakes

how was your muffler after install, did it feel more powerful or more faster or neither?, lol
Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
PT Barnum said something.... I'm trying to remember what it was.... this really famous quote.... Something like: "There's a trucker mourned every minute." I dunno....
moose your a technical guy i have a question for you here. in the passenger side wheel well of the 4 banger tacos like ours there is a giant baffle or restrictor of some type connected to the air intake.

what is its purpose when we installed the snorkel on my truck it had to be removed as it conformed to the entire passenger side fender its very large and quite strange. any idea what its purpose is?

its size is not done justice by photos it literally conformed to the inside of the fender and started right behind the headlight and went all the way back to the antenna mast!
Attached Thumbnails
There is no way this is that easy...-imag0426.jpg   There is no way this is that easy...-imag0424.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i would think this would with its little secondary pass through kill the air intakes ability to get any useful amount of air to the engine. we took it out because it would have been impossible to mount the snorkel with its 5 studs protruding though.

i have an exhaust on my truck muffler back and i'm running 2.5 inch diameter pipe and a flowmaster 40 series muffler. since it was installed when ever i rolled off the throttle it would pop and back fire lol. since i have had the snorkel on i would say 95% of that is gone and it seems to perform better now.

what service should i be looking at doing to further improve the performance and get rid of the last little bit of popping out of my pipes? a reflash of the ecu or just engine tuning? thanks in advance any suggestions would be a big help.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
In the passenger side wheel well of the 4 banger tacos like ours there is a giant baffle or restrictor of some type connected to the air intake.

what is its purpose?
I haven't taken the fender or air intake off. So if I told you I knew, I'd be lying. But - not knowing has never prevented me from making a guess. As long as you and I both know that what I'm doing is guessing.

The photo doesn't show - but I'm guessing it's open at both ends and it's the air intake itself? In which case the only question is: why is it such a funny shape for the job at hand.

The answer *might* be so that the plastic wheel well liner has some structure to butt up against.

The other possibility would be that increasing the volume of the chamber makes the intake quieter. Manufacturers are always trying to make cars quieter. Aftermarket air intakes, on the other hand, often deliberately wants to make engine noise louder, since consumers often equate "louder" with "more powerful."
Old 07-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grande View Post
yea if u hav one already, just get an intake to go with it, or just get an aftermarket drop in, like k&n or afe and such, i would go with a dry one so u dont have to hassle with oil every time u clean it, a drop in would be enough since our intakes already kinda draw cold air from the fender or whatever, u just mainly need to add the hi-flow filter out of an intake system, unless u would want to run a Ram air set up , which is where u always see the most numbers for intakes

how was your muffler after install, did it feel more powerful or more faster or neither?, lol
Yeah Next Air Filter I'm doing is probably a drop in one. I mean yeah what good is having a performance muffler if the air cant even come in fast enough? lol, and I give toyota big kudos for essentially making our intake a "cold-air" intake from the factory. I've always thought the main purpose of a Cold-Air intake is to take in denser air (colder air), and well when conventional intakes are done, most just have the intake sitting right above the engine drawing in warm/hot air from the Engine bay (i see this all the time in Honda Civics), but our Intake on the other hand draws "cooler" air in from the passenger side wheel well.

Anyways, It's still the stock piping i think 2.5", just cut out the stock muffler and welded in the new one. And I can tell you this:

I noticed that driving around the city is A LOT better (which is where I do most of my driving). Before I'd push the pedal down the same amount to get up to speed (2,000PRM~). Now after the new Muffler I noticed I don't have to accelerate as hard (1,500RPM), so my guess is there is some more torque in the lower RPMs that wasn't there before, and my guess is this is what led to my better MPGs around the city. Also, I'd have to accelerate even harder when I had a full truck, but now I don't (all 5 seats were filled, mostly college folks, we're not that fat ). Even when I had the bed filled with bags of mulch, it felt like I had more torque/power in the lower RPMs that I never had before. So yeah, I'd highly recommend the AT2525 Muffler for those with the V6 tacoma.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
thats pretty much what i did with my moms honda

cept i found those sceptre air filters at autozone for $25
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #16

Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Well the reason "cold air" is better for engines, bcuz the cold air makes the combustion inside ur enigine bigger, thats why your truck or car or bike always feels faster or powerful in the morning or night than it does in the middle of the day.

also engines run different in altitude, if u run a car on a 1/4 mile on the beach, you would get different numbers then if u run the same car at like a track at like 4,000 ft above sea level.

but all that is more for like drag/track cars, daily drivers dont really have to go deep into getting the best top notch ratios becuase u dont really need it as much, i guess.

that muffler u have is legit too, ive been looking around a lil for performance parts for our trucks, i want one with little to no extra noise, i rather be stealthy , my old car had glasspacks and im kinda over any kind of drone, mine was loud as fuk tho, no joke, i used to be able to drive through the parking structre at the mall and atleast one car alarm would go off everytime, friends use to say they could here me coming way before they even saw me lol
Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #17

Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanSR5x4 View Post
thats pretty much what i did with my moms honda

cept i found those sceptre air filters at autozone for $25

yea i seen those same ones there too, and they hav assorted colors ahahaaha
Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Why is this in 2nd gen?
Fixed.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #19
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Fixed.
Subbed for continued thread moving.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Subbed for continued thread moving.
Why would I do that? Isnt it a Hawaii thing?