Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Safety Inspection . . . TPMS

Old 01-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Mr. Feeny is on a distinguished road
Mr. Feeny's Tacoma Gallery
Safety Inspection . . . TPMS

I went to get a safety check from Toyota because it was free, but they failed me because I didn't transfer my TPMS sensors to the new wheels. They said it was a federal law. Anyone ever heard of this? Does anyone think a random gas station would pass me? I have recon and Toyota said the recon station should not have passed me with the TPMS sensor warning light on. I figure 3/4 of the cars on the road don't have TPMS. What's the big deal?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm... Do you still have the sensors? If so, put them in a PVC pressure vessel with a shrader valve and keep them behind the seat. The light will stay out for you to get through inspection. Putting them in a wheel barrel tire works also. If you want them to actually work with your new wheels, you can get wheel straps.

It might be that because the truck came with TPMS, you have essentially disabled a 'safety feature'.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I'm almost positive they are wrong- TPMS standards only apply to the OEM tires/rims.

Legally the NHTSA does not require aftermarket tires to function with the OE sensors. They DO require that the light is not disabled. If you want the system - You are welcome to get it updated to your new rims/tires. If you do not-You are required to keep the light functioning as I understand it.

A decent summation of what I understand to be the truth:
http://www.tirereview.com/Article/59...conundrum.aspx
Old 01-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'm almost positive they are wrong- TPMS standards only apply to the OEM tires/rims.

Legally the NHTSA does not require aftermarket tires to function with the OE sensors. They DO require that the light is not disabled. If you want the system - You are welcome to get it updated to your new rims/tires. If you do not-You are required to keep the light functioning as I understand it.

A decent summation of what I understand to be the truth:
http://www.tirereview.com/Article/59...conundrum.aspx
Interesting article
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Mr. Feeny is on a distinguished road
Mr. Feeny's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response. Perhaps Toyota requires the TPMS sensors because I essentially have OEM wheels. I swapped my sports for TRD FJ cruisers. I sold my sensors a few months back. Hopefully, I don't have to purchase new ones.