1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frame Rust Proofing Question

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by DDZPyrite, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    DDZPyrite

DDZPyrite [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I have a 2012 Tacoma with just over 2k miles and I found some frame rust already. Looks like a rock scraped off the paint and now there is surface rust. I want to know what do you guys use to prevent rust on the frame. I realize there are other threads out there, but I'm interested to see what da locals in Hawaii do considering I live here in Kaneohe.

I think a lot of people here use the product POR-15; is this still the case? Anyway let me know

IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg

2. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Man I never really look at the under neigth of our taco, wonder if ours has rust too?! Plus I live on the east side and in a very rainy humid area on the Hilo side:eek:

3. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Brah, mine had choke rust like that too, but on the rear axle and parts of the frame when it was brand new. :mad: I was lucky that I checked the underneath a day after we got it. Dealer fixed it, but not before saying how it was "normal", blah blah.

When we got it, they offered to "electronically" rust proof the truck. Basically, it runs an electrical current through the frame, etc. and they put a sacrificial metal plate somewhere on the truck that will apparently rust instead of the truck. The general consensus on this forum is that it was a waste of money :eek: Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time and we'll see how effective it is in the long run.

As for POR-15 I've heard nothing but good things about the stuff. I actually bought a few small cans last summer and went to work on the undercarriage. Didn't paint the whole undercarriage but had to sand and touchup a lot of small rust spots. Definitely gonna check the undercarriage and touchup this summer again.

4. Mar 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    A pic of the rust just for fun:

P1013799_216c17b77e924e6cd8c606e1edc4c835a9857211.jpg

There was more on the frame rails but didn't get a pic of that though. Can imagine it would be much worse now if I'd just left it like that.

5. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Yeah, mostly I just hit it with a wire brush, or a wire wheel and then use rust stop rattle can paint over the top. Just touch it up, but I'm always under my truck.

6. Mar 9, 2012 at 12:28 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    That's what she said. . .

7. Mar 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    DDZPyrite

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for the comments. It is a shame that our trucks have this common problem. I really wish Toyota would address this issue in the manufacturing stage. I'm planning on tending it this weekend. Gonna do the wire wheel and Rustoleum quick fix and look into POR-15 as a possible long-term fix.

Thanks for the pic 808TRDTaco10, a picture is worth a thousand words. I guess rust prevention on the frame is part of being a Tacoma owner:(

Mahalo

8. Apr 14, 2012 at 11:56 PM
    TacomaHI

TacomaHI Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD upgrade
    Got my 12' Tacoma undercoated @ Car Care Hawaii. Living in the islands; you'll need all the protection you can get. We're surrounded by the ocean,and the salt air will make bare metal rust in no time. My 00' Tacoma was also undercoated by CarCare HI and the only rust I found was above the window were they can't apply undercoating.

9. Apr 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    DDZPyrite

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hi thanks for the reply. Where is this place located? How much can I expect to pay?

10. Apr 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM
    TacomaHI

TacomaHI Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD upgrade
    Contact Glenn @ CarCare HI. It depends on what type of Tacoma you have. They do a good job and gives me a peace of mind that my truck is protected from the harsh elements living here in Hawaii.:)

11. Apr 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    TacomaHI

TacomaHI Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD upgrade
    Sorry you can contact him @ 841-2174. They're located in Kalihi @ 1724 Hoe St. Don't worry they'll take of you.

12. Apr 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    Sorry but it's totaly normal to have rust on frame. Frame is not done from galvanized steel like body panels and don't recieve same quality of paint that body receive.

Use your trucks on gravel road 50 000 miles and in winter here with salty road and the amount of rust you're seeing on your truck is the amount of black paint you will see on mine. Oh and my truck received a corrosion protection every year.

You can't compare with a car, car doesn't have frame and frame are design to last including a security allowance for rust.

13. Apr 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    ShaydenandDiezel

ShaydenandDiezel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    6 inch Pro Comp Suspension Lift. K&N intake. Air Raid throttle body spacer. 20 inch XD Diesel rims. 33x13.50 Irok tires. Single in dual out exhaust with SS tips.
    Sorry dude, but in no way is it "normal" to have rust on your frame. It does recieve a coat on the frame. Some cars do have frames. Not all cars are of a unibody design. I have a 1957 Chevy Bel Air 4 door car with a frame with no rust. The car has not been restored yet. I have had many trucks an all have had some kind of coating on them. Our rust problems in Hawaii are in no way as bad as yours. We live in 2 completely different enviroments.

Products Discussed in

To Top