Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Frame Rust Proofing Question

Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
DDZPyrite will become famous soon enough

DDZPyrite's Tacoma Gallery
Frame Rust Proofing Question

I have a 2012 Tacoma with just over 2k miles and I found some frame rust already. Looks like a rock scraped off the paint and now there is surface rust. I want to know what do you guys use to prevent rust on the frame. I realize there are other threads out there, but I'm interested to see what da locals in Hawaii do considering I live here in Kaneohe.

I think a lot of people here use the product POR-15; is this still the case? Anyway let me know
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Rust Proofing Question-img_0646.jpg   Frame Rust Proofing Question-img_0645.jpg  
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Man I never really look at the under neigth of our taco, wonder if ours has rust too?! Plus I live on the east side and in a very rainy humid area on the Hilo side
Old 03-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Black Sand Mirror
808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of808TRDTaco10 has much to be proud of

Name: Justin
808TRDTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Brah, mine had choke rust like that too, but on the rear axle and parts of the frame when it was brand new. I was lucky that I checked the underneath a day after we got it. Dealer fixed it, but not before saying how it was "normal", blah blah.

When we got it, they offered to "electronically" rust proof the truck. Basically, it runs an electrical current through the frame, etc. and they put a sacrificial metal plate somewhere on the truck that will apparently rust instead of the truck. The general consensus on this forum is that it was a waste of money Oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time and we'll see how effective it is in the long run.

As for POR-15 I've heard nothing but good things about the stuff. I actually bought a few small cans last summer and went to work on the undercarriage. Didn't paint the whole undercarriage but had to sand and touchup a lot of small rust spots. Definitely gonna check the undercarriage and touchup this summer again.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Wire brush it and hit it with some rattle can Rustoleum satin black .
Old 03-09-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, mostly I just hit it with a wire brush, or a wire wheel and then use rust stop rattle can paint over the top. Just touch it up, but I'm always under my truck.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
but I'm always under my truck.
That's what she said. . .
Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #8

Thank you all for the comments. It is a shame that our trucks have this common problem. I really wish Toyota would address this issue in the manufacturing stage. I'm planning on tending it this weekend. Gonna do the wire wheel and Rustoleum quick fix and look into POR-15 as a possible long-term fix.

Thanks for the pic 808TRDTaco10, a picture is worth a thousand words. I guess rust prevention on the frame is part of being a Tacoma owner

Mahalo
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
TacomaHI is on a distinguished road
TacomaHI's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Got my 12' Tacoma undercoated @ Car Care Hawaii. Living in the islands; you'll need all the protection you can get. We're surrounded by the ocean,and the salt air will make bare metal rust in no time. My 00' Tacoma was also undercoated by CarCare HI and the only rust I found was above the window were they can't apply undercoating.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaHI View Post
Got my 12' Tacoma undercoated @ Car Care Hawaii. Living in the islands; you'll need all the protection you can get. We're surrounded by the ocean,and the salt air will make bare metal rust in no time. My 00' Tacoma was also undercoated by CarCare HI and the only rust I found was above the window were they can't apply undercoating.
Hi thanks for the reply. Where is this place located? How much can I expect to pay?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
Contact Glenn @ CarCare HI. It depends on what type of Tacoma you have. They do a good job and gives me a peace of mind that my truck is protected from the harsh elements living here in Hawaii.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Sorry you can contact him @ 841-2174. They're located in Kalihi @ 1724 Hoe St. Don't worry they'll take of you.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Vassily28 is on a distinguished road
Vassily28's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry but it's totaly normal to have rust on frame. Frame is not done from galvanized steel like body panels and don't recieve same quality of paint that body receive.

Use your trucks on gravel road 50 000 miles and in winter here with salty road and the amount of rust you're seeing on your truck is the amount of black paint you will see on mine. Oh and my truck received a corrosion protection every year.

You can't compare with a car, car doesn't have frame and frame are design to last including a security allowance for rust.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
ShaydenandDiezel is on a distinguished road

Army: Mechanic
ShaydenandDiezel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassily28 View Post
Sorry but it's totaly normal to have rust on frame. Frame is not done from galvanized steel like body panels and don't recieve same quality of paint that body receive.

Use your trucks on gravel road 50 000 miles and in winter here with salty road and the amount of rust you're seeing on your truck is the amount of black paint you will see on mine. Oh and my truck received a corrosion protection every year.

You can't compare with a car, car doesn't have frame and frame are design to last including a security allowance for rust.
Sorry dude, but in no way is it "normal" to have rust on your frame. It does recieve a coat on the frame. Some cars do have frames. Not all cars are of a unibody design. I have a 1957 Chevy Bel Air 4 door car with a frame with no rust. The car has not been restored yet. I have had many trucks an all have had some kind of coating on them. Our rust problems in Hawaii are in no way as bad as yours. We live in 2 completely different enviroments.