Notices

Wash and Wax?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ is on a distinguished road
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Wash and Wax?

On Oahu....
Who does the best wash and wax for your Tacoma?

What other services do you suggest or prefer?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd View Post
Check out Midas Touch at Ala Moana shopping center. Really good pricing and great detailing. Wash/wax/interior cleaning.
Thanks! Gonna swing by sometime this week/weekend!
Aloha
Old 03-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
SCRAPER
09638 is on a distinguished road
09638's Tacoma Gallery
I always say if you want a perfectly clean truck do it yourself. If you really cant do it yourself or dont know how to, try and find a really good detailer that only does one or two cars a day. stay away from those who do lots of cars in a day because they tend to rush everything. I have personally had my vehicle detailed at midas auto touch at ala moana because a friend recomended them, all I can is I will never go back, I asked if they clay bar and they said yes, but when I got it back I could clearly see tons of waterspots, which I later got off myself with my own clay-bar. there was still bug residue on my front bumper which I'd say is pathetic for a detailing shop.

i'll try and get the number for a professional detailer/ paint restorer I met who went to school for it, ill post his number IF I can find his card. he mostly works for the dealers but also does private.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
2020 Detailing over by the airport. It's EXPENSIVE but they have done really good work on all the cars I've seen or they have immediately corrected any issue. They are usually fairly busy and they do a lot of work for the dealers down there but have always seemed to have no problem getting a vehicle in pretty quick. They also usually have specials on their services so be sure to ask about that.

http://www.2020autodetailing.com/
Old 03-24-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
holokai is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
holokai's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
2020 Detailing over by the airport. It's EXPENSIVE but they have done really good work on all the cars I've seen or they have immediately corrected any issue immediately. They are usually fairly busy and they do a lot of work for the dealers down there but have always seemed to have no problem getting a vehicle in pretty quick. They also usually have specials on their services so be sure to ask about that.

http://www.2020autodetailing.com/
I think those guys have deals on Groupon/PlayHawaii/Living Social/etc. every once in a while.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #9
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Thanks you guys.
Sorry to report Midas Auto Touch didn't do as good of a job as I was hoping.
I could probably do it better.

What process do you guys use if you detail it yourself?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
I usually wash each section of the truck then dry it followed by clay bar on anywhere that feels rough (or is visible on the white truck) and then wax. Usually a good half day project.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Update:
I went to Windward Auto Spa, and those guys kick butt.
Highly reccommend those studs there.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #12
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
What are your thoughts on putting RainX on the front wind shield?

Is waffle microfiber cloths the best to use too?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #14
holokai is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
holokai's Tacoma Gallery
RainX works but you'll need to reapply often. I've waxed my windshield before (old car) but heard that some types of wax can mess up your wiper blades.

Waffle cloths work pretty well; I'm just too cheap to buy them. Just make sure whatever you use won't scratch the clear coat. I use The Absorber or the Water Sprite since I've had them since before I can remember. You can find either of them at Napa/WalMart/etc. Also use that California Water Blade to remove the majority of the water before final wiping. Need to make sure it's clean so you don't leave streaks/scratches everywhere.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #15
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

COMAtose HI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
What are your thoughts on putting RainX on the front wind shield?

Is waffle microfiber cloths the best to use too?
i use wax/polish on my windows, and usually follow up with some kind of window cleaner to get rid of the cloudiness. the wax/polish is good to get the water spots out too.

as for cloths, the 36 pack yellow ones from costco work good for me.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #16
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMAtose HI View Post
i use wax/polish on my windows, and usually follow up with some kind of window cleaner to get rid of the cloudiness. the wax/polish is good to get the water spots out too.

as for cloths, the 36 pack yellow ones from costco work good for me.
THANKS!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
SCRAPER
09638 is on a distinguished road
09638's Tacoma Gallery
heres my detail:
1. pressure wash entire underbody and bed of truck including wheel wells and engine bay/ floor mats, keeps it all looking brand new
2. waterspot removal on windows using "diamond magic" from citymill works better than anything else iv'e tried
3. wash one section of truck at a time then claybar the same section right after
4. once you've washed/clayed entire truck give it another quick wash to get all the clay residues off. dont forget to wash the door jams and inside the gas tank cover, most people forget these spots
5. wash rims (I have no chrome on my truck so I won't offer advice on that)
6. dry truck completely with cali car blade/microfibers and garden leaf blower to get water out of cracks
7. apply wax to small sections at a time and DO NOT LET IT GET ON ANYTHING PLASTIC like the tailgate handle,etc.. buff off with clean microfibers the key is to use a lot of cloth's, don't cheap out.
8. rain-x all windows. helps to keep the waterspot's from forming again. I reapply it every month and half or so. its a lot easier than waxing it.
9. I don't use any tire shine cuz it just makes the dirt stick after two days.
10. wipe down entire interior with warm water and nothing else, armor all and similar products actually make your dash crack after years of use, it says it's protecting it but actually its magnifying the sun just like sun tan oil

takes me about 6 hours and I do this every 2 months. In between details I give it a quick wash every week.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09638 View Post
heres my detail:
1. pressure wash entire underbody and bed of truck including wheel wells and engine bay/ floor mats, keeps it all looking brand new
2. waterspot removal on windows using "diamond magic" from citymill works better than anything else iv'e tried
3. wash one section of truck at a time then claybar the same section right after
4. once you've washed/clayed entire truck give it another quick wash to get all the clay residues off. dont forget to wash the door jams and inside the gas tank cover, most people forget these spots
5. wash rims (I have no chrome on my truck so I won't offer advice on that)
6. dry truck completely with cali car blade/microfibers and garden leaf blower to get water out of cracks
7. apply wax to small sections at a time and DO NOT LET IT GET ON ANYTHING PLASTIC like the tailgate handle,etc.. buff off with clean microfibers the key is to use a lot of cloth's, don't cheap out.
8. rain-x all windows. helps to keep the waterspot's from forming again. I reapply it every month and half or so. its a lot easier than waxing it.
9. I don't use any tire shine cuz it just makes the dirt stick after two days.
10. wipe down entire interior with warm water and nothing else, armor all and similar products actually make your dash crack after years of use, it says it's protecting it but actually its magnifying the sun just like sun tan oil

takes me about 6 hours and I do this every 2 months. In between details I give it a quick wash every week.

SO HELPFUL. THANK YOU!
Good idea with the leaf blower.
I'm clueless on the clay-bar. Care to elaborate?

Once again, Thank you!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #19

Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnJ View Post
SO HELPFUL. THANK YOU!
Good idea with the leaf blower.
I'm clueless on the clay-bar. Care to elaborate?

Once again, Thank you!
For me it's more of a feel with the right amount of lube for the bar to slide and still grab all the crap that's settled on the paint, hard to describe. This is a pretty good demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI They sell the full kits at most autoparts stores or if you want to get fancy a couple store around the island sell clay magic, pricey but it does a good job. There's also a ton of info in the detailing section on it.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
For me it's more of a feel with the right amount of lube for the bar to slide and still grab all the crap that's settled on the paint, hard to describe. This is a pretty good demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI They sell the full kits at most autoparts stores or if you want to get fancy a couple store around the island sell clay magic, pricey but it does a good job. There's also a ton of info in the detailing section on it.
GREAT VIDEO!
So basically I have to use my hand to feel around my Taco to see if I even need to clay bar it?
Anything rough, or not "glassy" feeling will need to be clay barred, BEFORE I even do waxing?
Sounds like a lot of work. A good work out huh?
Do most detailing shops do this for you if you ask, then pay for it?
How often should you clay bar? Before every time you want to wax?
Thanks for the video. I'm new to this whole detailing thing! Ha ha ha!
Aloha!