Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

What company sells the best sliding and locking tonneaus on Oahu?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
HawayanTacoma is on a distinguished road
HawayanTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What company sells the best sliding and locking tonneaus on Oahu?

Looking to buy one this weekend. Any good advice? I'm looking to spend not more than $1500. LMK. Aloooooooha, Marv.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
hemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kurt
hemitruk's Tacoma Gallery
Try truck concepts in waipio
Old 03-22-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
holokai is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
holokai's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a Roll-N-Lock because I didn't want to pick up Pop-N-Lock for the tailgate as it messes with the factory camera location and the build quality apparently isn't the best.

Installed it myself; took a couple hours taking my time and making sure everything was lined up. Good investment as I can go fishing/diving and lock my gear in the bed after if we end up stopping at a store/restaurant/bar.

I think the cheapest I heard installed was $1349 from Aloha Toppers behind Cutter Ford (includes free lifetime adjustment). You can save about $100 if you buy online but you'll have to install yourself. Might be able to pick one up from Servco/Motor Imports on South Street. I think they sell them for $1200ish but no installation is included.

Seen a couple people with the Retrax cover. Looks super cherry/sleek but IIRC you need a separate tailgate lock.

Don't wanna hijack this thread so you can PM me if you have any more questions about the Roll-N-Lock.

Shoots.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Thanks for the advice. Aloha.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ is on a distinguished road
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by holokai View Post
I just picked up a Roll-N-Lock because I didn't want to pick up Pop-N-Lock for the tailgate as it messes with the factory camera location and the build quality apparently isn't the best.

Installed it myself; took a couple hours taking my time and making sure everything was lined up. Good investment as I can go fishing/diving and lock my gear in the bed after if we end up stopping at a store/restaurant/bar.

I think the cheapest I heard installed was $1349 from Aloha Toppers behind Cutter Ford (includes free lifetime adjustment). You can save about $100 if you buy online but you'll have to install yourself. Might be able to pick one up from Servco/Motor Imports on South Street. I think they sell them for $1200ish but no installation is included.

Seen a couple people with the Retrax cover. Looks super cherry/sleek but IIRC you need a separate tailgate lock.

Don't wanna hijack this thread so you can PM me if you have any more questions about the Roll-N-Lock.

Shoots.
THANK YOU FOR THIS POST.
Looking into a Tonneau cover ASAP.
What do you suggest? Def want the retractable one. Not the lift one.
My Taco is 2012 Pre-Runner 4 cyl.
Thanks.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
I have decided to get a slide and lock. $1142 + $6 shipping from Amazon. I am going to install it myself. I think I'm going to get a Popnlock, too. Shootz.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #7
Oh yah, the Popnlock is like $58. It includes the camera hook-up. Sounds good! Aloooooooooooooooooha.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #8

holokai's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawayanTacoma View Post
I have decided to get a slide and lock. $1142 + $6 shipping from Amazon. I am going to install it myself. I think I'm going to get a Popnlock, too. Shootz.
Are you getting a Slide and Lock or Roll-N-Lock? If it's a Roll-N-Lock you don't need the Pop-N-Lock since the cover locks to the tailgate.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
CmonMan is on a distinguished road
CmonMan's Tacoma Gallery
i just ordered a Retrax from Hawaii Truck Concepts. The old guy is pretty knowledgable. He has a bunch of different brands to choose from.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
It is a Roll n loc. If it locks to the tail gate, that is even better! Thanks for the "heads up!"
Alooooooooooooooha.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
Installed the Rollnloc Saturday. It took about 90+ minutes to install. The cover does lock to the T-gate. I luv the looks and the fit. Good product. I just didn't want to drill the holes for the drain tubes. I might do that later. Thanks for the great advice.
Alooooooooooooooooooha.

Quote:
Yup, no need the Pop-N-Lock with the Roll-N-Lock. Congrats!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Senior NEWBIE
Tigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shedTigahshark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Isaac
Tigahshark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Installed the Rollnloc Saturday. It took about 90+ minutes to install. The cover does lock to the T-gate. I luv the looks and the fit. Good product. I just didn't want to drill the holes for the drain tubes. I might do that later. Thanks for the great advice.
Alooooooooooooooooooha.
Post some pics of that bad boy!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #15

holokai's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alooooooooooooooooooha.
Solid. Retracting good? If it's a little slow you can lubricate the tracks with the vinyl protectant they include. Can use the factory drain holes; just need to enlarge them. Will have to do so from underneath since you have it installed already. The bed material can irritate your skin when you enlarge the holes (maybe fiberglass in it?) so don't lie directly under or wear a long sleeve shirt when drilling. Shoots.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
I LOVE MY TACOMA!
AnJ is on a distinguished road
AnJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Solid. Retracting good? If it's a little slow you can lubricate the tracks with the vinyl protectant they include. Can use the factory drain holes; just need to enlarge them. Will have to do so from underneath since you have it installed already. The bed material can irritate your skin when you enlarge the holes (maybe fiberglass in it?) so don't lie directly under or wear a long sleeve shirt when drilling. Shoots.
This thread is so helpful. Thanks you guys!
Always lookin' out for the next Tacoma owner!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
A silicone based spray should be a better alternative, than the vinyl spray. It is because, after a while, if you keep putting the vinyl spray, it will become gooey once it dries up in the track. Just my opinion.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #18

holokai's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A silicone based spray should be a better alternative, than the vinyl spray. It is because, after a while, if you keep putting the vinyl spray, it will become gooey once it dries up in the track. Just my opinion.
Will the vinyl spray become gooey? If so, Roll-N-Lock should make the change Care and Maintenance Section on their website: http://www.rollnlock.com/TechSupport...S/Default.aspx

"Periodically treat the track runners with a light application of the Raggtopp Protectant provided. NEVER use any type of grease, graphite, WD-40 or other petroleum derivative."

or their Troubleshooting section as well:
http://www.rollnlock.com/TechSupport...S/Default.aspx

"10) The cover is hard to pull.
A. The tracks are too far inboard and squeezing the cover.
B. The tracks are not level; they are tilted up or down.
C. The tracks have been lubricated with lithium grease or similar. Clean the tracks and then lubricate with the Ragg Topp™ protectant provided."

I think I'll read up a little more though, I got a bottle of 303 Protectant in my RnL box instead of the Ragg Topp mentioned on their site.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark View Post
Post some pics of that bad boy!
[IMG][/IMG]

Pic of my TRD Trailer hitch cover. Got it from Amazon.com. see my review on this product. I also got a lock for it so that I could lock it and not get it stolen. Got the lock from Checker O'Riley's for $30.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Thanks again, for the advice. I never thought to look on their website. My tailgate did have trouble closing. So I looked at the directions and removed the spacers. They stick it on the clamp. I removed the spacer on the rear bed clamp and the tailgate closes now with no problem.

Quote:
Will the vinyl spray become gooey? If so, Roll-N-Lock should make the change Care and Maintenance Section on their website: http://www.rollnlock.com/TechSupport...S/Default.aspx

"Periodically treat the track runners with a light application of the Raggtopp Protectant provided. NEVER use any type of grease, graphite, WD-40 or other petroleum derivative."

or their Troubleshooting section as well:
http://www.rollnlock.com/TechSupport...S/Default.aspx

"10) The cover is hard to pull.
A. The tracks are too far inboard and squeezing the cover.
B. The tracks are not level; they are tilted up or down.
C. The tracks have been lubricated with lithium grease or similar. Clean the tracks and then lubricate with the Ragg Topp™ protectant provided."

I think I'll read up a little more though, I got a bottle of 303 Protectant in my RnL box instead of the Ragg Topp mentioned on their site.