Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Trip To Hawaii

Old 11-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
rexel is on a distinguished road
rexel's Tacoma Gallery
Trip To Hawaii

I'm looking at planning a trip to Hawaii...never been there. I figured thatI would ask some Tacoma World members for some advice. The trip would have tobe in January or February and would like to include renting a motorcycle...anyrecommendations to where I should go?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
what do you plan on doing?
Scenic style touring is best on kauai and the big island; maui isnt bad as well

oahu has the best shopping/retail kind of stuff, but is a little crowded
Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
rexel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
what do you plan on doing?
Scenic style touring is best on kauai and the big island; maui isnt bad as well

oahu has the best shopping/retail kind of stuff, but is a little crowded
Thanks for the response.

A little of everything, shopping, sight seeing, and motorcycle is a definite.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
myfirst06taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
myfirst06taco's Tacoma Gallery
Big island for sure , east coast is tropical west coast is more of a desert. Me and my wife went there for our honeymoon 4years ago. Stayed in Hilo for a week and kona for the 2nd, I think we both liked Hilo better (closer to the volcano and all the rain forest). Kona had some great snorkeling ( two step and captain cook monument ). Rent a 4wheel drive ( I guess a jeep ) and go to the green sand beach at south point , fun little trip. I don't have any input on the rest of the islands sorry. If you decide to go to the big island I can send you some great books , just pm me
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
the Big Island has the most space to ride (since it's bigger than all the other islands combined)
kauai and the BI have the best scenery IMHO

kauai has places like Hanalei

big island has long scenic drives around the island, through places like waimea
Old 11-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
If you get a chance, so swimming with dolphins. UNBELEIVABLE EXPERIENCE, hard to describe how surreal it is.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Kona, not just because he is Hawaiian (he should know what he is talking about). I love the Big Island personally, but I have a personal tour guide when I go there, so I know what to see and what not to waste my time on.

Would you be staying at a resort style place? Hotel, or somewhere off the beaten path (like Kona's house)?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
rexel's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses!

I don't know yet if we are planning on a resort or hotel...Kona hasn't invited us to stay at his place yet
Old 11-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexel View Post
Thanks for all the responses!

I don't know yet if we are planning on a resort or hotel...Kona hasn't invited us to stay at his place yet
Camping out of the question?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Canes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EAOS 83'
Canes58's Tacoma Gallery
Those months the north shore of Ohau will be kikin. Would be able to see the pipeline if lucky. Look into inter-island travel, the big money is from the mainland, once your there, island to island travel is cheap and you can see more. By all means, the Big Island is the most, well, BIG. See the black beach. See the sunrise and ride a bike down Haleakala on Maui. Sleeping Giant on Kaua'i. But most of all, see the USS Arizona Memorial.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
rexel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
Camping out of the question?
Yeah, camping is out of the question.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
If you want shopping, Maui (places like Lahaina) would offer more of that than Kauai and the BI. And riding a motorcycle up (and down) Haleakela would be pretty fun. The BI probably has less congestion, and I think riding a bike from the northwest, through Kona coast, and and around to the volcano NP would be a heck of a lot of fun, too.

Personally, I like Kauai and the BI the most for the scenery and diversity, and they seem slower paced and less touristy.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
rexel's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses everyone...I think I'm going to try and plan on some time on BI and Maui.