1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trip To Hawaii

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by rexel, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM
    rexel

rexel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm looking at planning a trip to Hawaii...never been there. I figured thatI would ask some Tacoma World members for some advice. The trip would have tobe in January or February and would like to include renting a motorcycle...anyrecommendations to where I should go?

2. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    what do you plan on doing?
    Scenic style touring is best on kauai and the big island; maui isnt bad as well

oahu has the best shopping/retail kind of stuff, but is a little crowded

3. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    rexel

Member:
    Thanks for the response.

A little of everything, shopping, sight seeing, and motorcycle is a definite.

4. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    myfirst06taco

myfirst06taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Clarke county ,VA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4
    5100's eibach coils , Allpro leaf pack , roll up tonneau cover with led bed lights, hids, homertaco grill
    Big island for sure , east coast is tropical west coast is more of a desert. Me and my wife went there for our honeymoon 4years ago. Stayed in Hilo for a week and kona for the 2nd, I think we both liked Hilo better (closer to the volcano and all the rain forest). Kona had some great snorkeling ( two step and captain cook monument ). Rent a 4wheel drive ( I guess a jeep :eek:) and go to the green sand beach at south point , fun little trip. I don't have any input on the rest of the islands sorry. If you decide to go to the big island I can send you some great books , just pm me

5. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    the Big Island has the most space to ride (since it's bigger than all the other islands combined)
    kauai and the BI have the best scenery IMHO

kauai has places like Hanalei
    [​IMG]

big island has long scenic drives around the island, through places like waimea
    [​IMG]

6. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    If you get a chance, so swimming with dolphins. UNBELEIVABLE EXPERIENCE, hard to describe how surreal it is.

7. Nov 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    I agree with Kona, not just because he is Hawaiian (he should know what he is talking about). I love the Big Island personally, but I have a personal tour guide when I go there, so I know what to see and what not to waste my time on.

Would you be staying at a resort style place? Hotel, or somewhere off the beaten path (like Kona's house)?

8. Nov 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    rexel

Member:
    Thanks for all the responses!

I don't know yet if we are planning on a resort or hotel...Kona hasn't invited us to stay at his place yet :eek:

9. Nov 29, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Camping out of the question?

10. Nov 29, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    Canes58

Canes58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola
    Vehicle:
    09 RC 4x 5spd
    magnaflow - k&n - fact alum wheels - back up mirror - intermit wipers - JVC 800 w/focal 165's - oem fogs - 5100's fr & rear.
    Those months the north shore of Ohau will be kikin. Would be able to see the pipeline if lucky. Look into inter-island travel, the big money is from the mainland, once your there, island to island travel is cheap and you can see more. By all means, the Big Island is the most, well, BIG. See the black beach. See the sunrise and ride a bike down Haleakala on Maui. Sleeping Giant on Kaua'i. But most of all, see the USS Arizona Memorial.

11. Nov 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    rexel

Member:
    Yeah, camping is out of the question.

12. Nov 29, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    If you want shopping, Maui (places like Lahaina) would offer more of that than Kauai and the BI. And riding a motorcycle up (and down) Haleakela would be pretty fun. The BI probably has less congestion, and I think riding a bike from the northwest, through Kona coast, and and around to the volcano NP would be a heck of a lot of fun, too.

Personally, I like Kauai and the BI the most for the scenery and diversity, and they seem slower paced and less touristy.

13. Nov 30, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    rexel

Member:
    Thanks for all the responses everyone...I think I'm going to try and plan on some time on BI and Maui.

Products Discussed in

To Top