Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Day Time Running Lights 2011 Tacoma

Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
kh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Miles
kh7nm's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Day Time Running Lights 2011 Tacoma

Just wondering if anybody having problems with there day time running lights. Went the Dealership for my last free oil change and the guy said your day time running light lens is starting to melt and it needs to be replaced. $1,000 to replace both but since it is under warranty it's free. Truck is only 1 years old and all stock lighting in the head lamp. Also the Service guy said it will not pass safety check so gotta change.
Attached Thumbnails
Day Time Running Lights 2011 Tacoma-img_0646-1-.jpg  
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
TacoHI11 is on a distinguished road
TacoHI11's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same thing on my 2011. Dealer replaced lights last week. Free! Can not complain took two hours.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
its a common problem with these trucks...some done experience it and some do
good thing youre still under warranty
Old 12-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
How does it take 2 hours changing head lights? Are they pulling it apart and changing lenses inside the housing or replacing the whole headlight? It should take you 20-30 minutes....geeez.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #7
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh7nm View Post
Just wondering if anybody having problems with there day time running lights. Went the Dealership for my last free oil change and the guy said your day time running light lens is starting to melt and it needs to be replaced. $1,000 to replace both but since it is under warranty it's free. Truck is only 1 years old and all stock lighting in the head lamp. Also the Service guy said it will not pass safety check so gotta change.
May be dumb but Swap out our DTRL relay and sell it to someone who has the non-dtrl relay. Then, do the 'cheap and easy' dtrl mod. They are about 3/4 as bright and don't melt your lenses.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
kh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Miles
kh7nm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx novice View Post
Here's the LED running light. Not as bright but no more melting. also, I put LED fogs.
Attachment 182781
Do you have part numbers for the fog looked on the web site and no cross match number for the fog lights. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
.666 is on a distinguished road
.666's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing LED bulbs for DTRL plug and play?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
lemon177 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
lemon177's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure, I heard things about blowing fuses and needing resistors, depending on the LED. I got a pair fir my dtrl that im still to scared to install.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon177 View Post
Not sure, I heard things about blowing fuses and needing resistors, depending on the LED. I got a pair fir my dtrl that im still to scared to install.
fuses blowing?? never heard that...99% of the people i know that has them have had them for over a year no problems
you add the resistor for the hyperflash not to occur
Old 12-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #14

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...resistors.html

This link shows how to get around the fuse blowing problem. Idk, too much trouble for me to try.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This link shows how to get around the fuse blowing problem. Idk, too much trouble for me to try.
That addresses the hyperflash, there is not a problem with blowing fuses when switching to LED that I'm aware of. LED's have a significantly lower draw than the bulbs they replace. The lower draw is what causes the hyperflash (since the blinkers work off resistance). The same reason is why you won't blow fuses when switching to LED's, they have very low draw so when being used as a direct replacement for an incadescent or halogen, they should never overload the circuit.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #16

2. You need to use SRCK wired 3157 LED bulbs as sold by autolumination, due to the way the bulb socket is wired. The normal ones will be shorted when plugged in and will blow a fuse.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but it says word for word. I know its a minor thing to blow a fuse, but the whole ordeal seems like more of a headache than its worth.

I ended up replacing my headlights through toyota and they told me these new headlights shouldn't have the melting problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Quote:
2. You need to use SRCK wired 3157 LED bulbs as sold by autolumination, due to the way the bulb socket is wired. The normal ones will be shorted when plugged in and will blow a fuse.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but it says word for word. I know its a minor thing to blow a fuse, but the whole ordeal seems like more of a headache than its worth.

I ended up replacing my headlights through toyota and they told me these new headlights shouldn't have the melting problem.
never heard of that place...well the leds that csjumper2003 sells are direct plug and play with the 2nd gen tacomas...
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #18

Im assuming his LEDs have a resistor in them. Im not sure if mines do too, I bought them from a random race shop. The guy even told me they might blow a fuse on the first test, bit if they don't then they'll be fine. Sounded sketchy to me but I bought them thinking it'll stop my headlights from melting further. Since I replaced the burned ones with the new ones, I haven't worried since and now im stuck with these $60 3127 bulbs.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #19
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im assuming his LEDs have a resistor in them. Im not sure if mines do too, I bought them from a random race shop. The guy even told me they might blow a fuse on the first test, bit if they don't then they'll be fine. Sounded sketchy to me but I bought them thinking it'll stop my headlights from melting further. Since I replaced the burned ones with the new ones, I haven't worried since and now im stuck with these $60 3127 bulbs.
his you add an external resistor with a t tap right behind the bulb itself (wiring by the plug)