1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking for help installing OME lift!

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by jamey, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    jamey

jamey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    OME complete 3" lift with dakar leaf pack and AAL's Relentless fab sliders Uniden CB dynomat'd everything Focal 6" speakers 2 Kicker 10" subs JL Audio HD amp Kicker amp HID headlights LED lights in cab, bed of truck, and under hood. raptor lined bed sliders, and skids
    My lift kit just came in today and I'm planing on installing it this weekend. I have zero experience with lift kits and suspension in general. so, I wanted to see if anyone with experience installing lifts would mind helping me out with the install. Free pizza and beer!!! :drunk:

Here's all the pertinent info:

- Truck is an 03 TRD extra cab
    - The lift is the toytec OME 3 lift with the toytec AAL's in the back.
    - I paid the extra to have the front shocks and coils come preassembled so it should make it much simpler.
    - I have a floor jack, jack stands, and a full set of normal hand tools (no specialty tools though) my buddy has an airtank and impact gun if it would be needed.

so if anyone is free and doesn't mind helping out on Saturday I would be very grateful!

2. Jan 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Google is your friend you will find plenty of 'writeups' to help you.
    Here is one of my own writeups - Not the OME lift, but it will give you information on how to take things apart.
    http://www.lieblweb.com/cornbredlift.html

3. Jan 8, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    What time on saturday and general location? Im in town and finish work at 7pm if you're still at it.

For the AAL, id suggest some c-clamps if possible...of different sizes.

4. Jan 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    OME complete 3" lift with dakar leaf pack and AAL's Relentless fab sliders Uniden CB dynomat'd everything Focal 6" speakers 2 Kicker 10" subs JL Audio HD amp Kicker amp HID headlights LED lights in cab, bed of truck, and under hood. raptor lined bed sliders, and skids
    I plan on starting first thing Saturday Morning. If it takes me past dark I'll just pack the tools up and wait till the next morning to hit it again. Don't really have the lighting here to work in the dark, but thanks for the offer.

I have to admit though, the more I read and the headaches everyone writes about almost makes it sound like paying four wheel parts to install would be worth it. For instance, I don't have a press and I fought the rear shocks for 30 mins trying to get the bushings in. 2 down 2 to go.... giving my poor hands a break :D

5. Jan 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    1uzrnr

1uzrnr The NotaRC 4runner :D

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    86 Samurai stockish
    Couple
    Where are you on Oahu? What do you need a press for?

6. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    battleyota

battleyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    OME suspension, All-Pro UCA, rear locker, 4.56 gears front and rear diffs, rear dif locker, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrians KM2, 15x8 Mickey Thompson classic lock, ARB bumper, K&N Air filter. Safari Snorkel.
    If I can put my truck back together on Friday, I can help you out on Saturday. but It has to be after 1 pm.
    PM me for contact info.

7. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    The hard part is putting the coilovers together, which you already have done. The rest is about a couple hours of bolting and unbolting. Btw, where on Oahu are you located? If you're in town I could help before I start work (@1pm). Lmk

8. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM
    HI TACO 66

HI TACO 66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerome
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD OFF ROAD 4x4
    where in oahu you located, should be a simple install if you have then pre-assembled

9. Jan 10, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    PupuleUlua

PupuleUlua Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Where in Oahu are you located? I might have some other tools needed (torque wrench, large sockets, air tools, drop lights, etc...) sorry no C-clamps though. Lemme know if you need help. Also might be a good idea getting your torque specs ready before assembly.

10. Jan 13, 2013 at 12:37 AM
    87twentytwor

87twentytwor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Sport
    none
    how'd it turn out?

11. Jan 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    Hey guys, haven't done install yet. I decided I wanted to go with the OME dakars in the rear instead of the AAL's so just waiting on the leaf packs to come in from wheelers should be here on 24th. (AAL's for sale if interested)

I could use a big vice/press to get the bushings in the shocks. PITA, got both bushings in one but the other is decidedly more difficult for some reason :frusty:

I've been doing tons of research because I just feel like I'm going to start the install, get pretty far into it and there will be something I wont be able to do.

I'll post an update when I actually get rear leafs in to see if anyone want to come by when I'm going to do install. My neighbor will be helping out as well so guidance and "don't do that or you'll f it up" is what i'd love to have more so than wrench power.

Also think I'm going to put the new gopro camera I just got to work and make a video of install to post on youtube for others. Video is much better than a writeup IMO because you can actually see what needs to be done.

Parts I'll be installing:
    OME 881's with nitroshocks
    OME dakar leaf packs with same shocks
    grease-able shackles
    extended brake line
    exhaust bracket relocator
    shock rock protectors
    extended u bolts

Think i have my work cut out for me. only thing I might need in future is UCA's if i can't get a good alignment.

12. Jan 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    how was shipping the dakars from wheelers?

you should be able to do most if not all without air tools.

I might be able to help out as well.

13. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    I didn't get the dakars from wheelers. I got them from 4 wheel parts. I got all the extra needed parts from wheelers. shipping was cheap, they just packed them in a flate rate usps box.

14. Jan 20, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    jamey

Member:
    Mayport, FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD Taco
    After two FULL days the lift is complete! :broccoli: :taco: :locked: :kona: :bananadance: :jellydance: :dancingbacon:

For now any way. I didn't get any calls on the AAL's for sale so i figured why not show different lift options to TW members as well as not wasting the three day weekend which was perfect for the install. So I installed the OME lift kit with AAL's in the rear and when my OME dakar leaf packs come in next week I'll swap the stock leaf packs for the after market ones. Should be easy after everything else has been done.

I plan on doing a full write up on the install and what all was involved; along with all the headaches and trouble spots that occurred (with pics of course). I'll post it on my trucks build page. now sure how to save that to my profile though...

Products Discussed in

To Top