Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

How many of you have radiation detectors ?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
How many of you have radiation detectors ?

I am not trying to stir paranoia, and I don't really have a bug-out bag, but
I have been collecting supplies and this is one item I now have for playing around

if anything nuclear happens west, are you going to be sure of local areas
that may have increasing levels of ionizing radiation ?

As a hobby, (and after Fukushima) I got a little Geiger tube and amplifier
for myself, and it is interesting to check out background radiation and
whatnot...also rocks and materials (thorium, tritium tubes...)

but

If an ill wind blows, can you expect to always be told what areas are
safe ? or do you want to be able to inform yourself if there is an
increase in background radiation that might be worth having officials
take a deeper look ? or allow you to decide..'gee I need to move away
from this area or thing making my Geiger tube scream at me' ?

anyhow, I got one of these and it is a neat device.
http://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/come...idProduct=4542

GQ-GMC-300 (this as well as others allows you to replace the tube with something
more or less advanced, like a mica window for alpha radiation)

this is basic and only counts ionizing radiation, beta or gamma...

[to fully determine health dangers, you need far more expensive detectors and know what
material you are detecting...these will give you a much better actual human hazard estimate]

but this little GMC-300 will detect ionizing radiation (beta and gamma) which
are the harmful types...and it definitely will tell you if background radiation is increasing or decreasing...

uses an M4011 tube, which is extremely sensitive. You can put a different tube in
with a mica window (or use a probe) for alpha detection. the difference in quality
of any detector are the tubes, period. the rest of the device is a simple amplifier
circuit and logic to make counts, clicks, and graphs...but all of them require a good tube
and this one has an awesome one....

----
FYI I am not trying to sell these things, I just use that link above to show you
one type of detector that absolutely works, but doesn't cost much at all...
most cost 400 and up

anyone else have or play with radiation detector of some type ?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting toy.

We have a CST-WMD(Civil Support Team- Weapons of Mass Destruction) unit here so i'm sure they monitor all of the stuff. Most regions/states have a team and they're on call 24/7.

I know there are a bunch of old bunkers and stuff here too, but I doubt it's enough for the population. If something big happened, we'd pretty much be SOL unless the winds and waves take the bulk of it.

Unless I could find a correlation to using that as a tool on my truck, I wouldn't have much intrest in learning more about it.

I think using that in geothermal areas might be fun though, i'm sure it would pick up something from the rocks.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Interesting toy.

We have a CST-WMD(Civil Support Team- Weapons of Mass Destruction) unit here so i'm sure they monitor all of the stuff. Most regions/states have a team and they're on call 24/7.

I know there are a bunch of old bunkers and stuff here too, but I doubt it's enough for the population. If something big happened, we'd pretty much be SOL unless the winds and waves take the bulk of it.

Unless I could find a correlation to using that as a tool on my truck, I wouldn't have much intrest in learning more about it.

I think using that in geothermal areas might be fun though, i'm sure it would pick up something from the rocks.
yeah It may be more meaningful to west coast conus, not a set of islands....
Old 04-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I work with radiation gear all the time with work. You are aware of the ionization effects of background radiation on your meter correct? Also the time required to take a proper reading and that they should be calibrated every year.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hahaha no sooner do I open this thread and "Radioactive" by imagine dragons starts playing
Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
did you post this is the right page?
well, Hi is gonna get hit with radiation first if NK or another
reactor goes TU
Old 04-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
well, Hi is gonna get hit with radiation first if NK or another
reactor goes TU
i think there was reports of radiation found in tuna several hundred miles off the coast. I think there was found in tuna that was fished off the coast of japan but those tuna also migrated here. I dont think ill post anymore info cause it could be marked as political and theres too much crybabies on this site. Its something that we have to watch for but no doubt, but the US government doesnt care.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Saw an interview with Enson Inouye, he was using a meter while helping in Japan after the tsunami. He said that experienced as much radiation on a flight from Hawaii to New York as his stint in Japan. Good thing to have as most people don't know what they're exposed to.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #10

Actually due to the amount of solar radiation bombarding the upper atmospheres. A commercial pilots occupation exposure to radiation is on average higher than a nuclear power plant operators yearly dosage.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
if it ever came down to it, you're screwed anyways if there was ever a need for the meter. it's like all the crazies with their gas masks. it's not doing you any good. what no one realizes is that most canisters are only good for tear gas, especially if they are opened already, and if you do manage to get some that are sealed and you're exposed to mustard gas or something you have a few hours it's going to work before it ends. and any nerve agent that touches your skin will absorb anyways. save your money.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
i work with nuclear quite often, and tbh I am exposed to it alot more than a nuclear worker Ive hit my max dosage rate for the year, sucks but you just have to step back for the rest of the year :P

big thing to remember
S.T.D.

Shielding
Time
Distance
Old 04-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #13

http://www.scosche.com/rdtx-pro-port...pod-and-iphone
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
battleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant futurebattleyota has a brilliant future

Army: 11 Bang Bang Squad leader, 25th ID, with 4 vacations to the exotic lands of the middle east.
Name: David
battleyota's Tacoma Gallery
I've got my MOPP-4 gear easily accessible just in case.