Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Mechanic Wanted Kauai

Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
uppiedog is on a distinguished road
Name: Kelly
uppiedog's Tacoma Gallery
Mechanic Wanted Kauai

So I get new 2013 Prerunner Sport Package coming on Monday. I just wanted to do a few upgrade so I bought some Konig Six Shooters 17" x 8" from FN Wheels. I plan on using the stock tires that come with the truck and just switch out the wheels . I also purchased Bilsteins 5100s Adjustables cuz I heard that was a fairly inexpensive way to level out the truck and would give a better ride than a spacer.
I've seen alot of good comments about the shocks on Tacoma World and it seems like alot of people use them. However, when I started calling local shops (I spoke to 5 of the major shops in Lihue) not one of them knew what I was talking about w/ adjustable shocks or wanted to install them. Only one shop said they would install them , switch out the wheels stems and sensors, and align it for $800! I thought that was a bit high..... # of the shops said "well don't they already come w/ Bilsteins?" A couple told me I would be voiding the warranty, which doesn't sound good
Anyone have any comments or suggestions about someone on Island that knows about this stuff?
Am I making a mistake putting on the shocks??
Mahalos in advance for any suggestions....Kelly
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
The guys at Servco Toyota told me that they don't have problems with people lifting their trucks. If something breaks that is directly related to your lift, then they will not cover it. Unfortunately a lift and bigger tires are related to the most of the major issues like driveline, steering and suspension. If you windshield wiper motor goes, or something, then they should cover it.
There are lots of good walkthroughs for installing lift kits in the suspension section. Its really not that hard.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
5100's arent a really popular lift here, at least outside of oahu- everybody just throws a spacer or goes with coilovers

they're great, 100% better than the stock bilsteins IMHO. I've run them for two years now with no problems. night and day compared to my dad's 2010 TRD OR

the adjustability comes with the placement of the lower coil seat...it's just a snap ring that the coil goes on, not some supah complicated blah blah blah. any competent auto shop should be able to get them on.

as far as voiding the warranty- like bullaculla said, aftermarket parts will not void warranty unless it can be proven that the lift parts caused the failure; on top of that, that can only void the warranty on those parts.

if installers claim otherwise, give corporate a call.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FWIW

the guy that I had install my leaf packs claimed that
they werent designed for tacomas
have 3 overload leafs
will not flex
will not handle well
and make the truck look stupid

but...
it was designed specifically for the tacoma
it has no overload leaves
it has almost a foot of flex built into it
it rides fine

there just isnt enough of a solid offroad scene here for good aftermarket parts to show up enough for local shops to get used to seeing...or seeing at all. don't trust shops that don't have an idea what they're talking about, that's what we're for
Old 04-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Thanks guys! Great info...much appreciated!......Picked up my truck yesterday and I had the Konig wheels put on immediately. Stoked with how they look and the matte bronze is a perfect match to the pyrite mica color! Also thanks to Dustin at FN wheels . Your info on the wheels and sensors was right on.
Bullacolla that is what I found out about Servco as well. Thanks!
Also yesterday I found a shop that had just installed the same shocks for another guy and they knew all about them. Plus he's charging $250 for the install and alignment which is much better. so I'm stoked...K
Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

How'd you get the wheels so quick!?!?!? Priority mail? Mine is being sent via parcel post cause i'm cheap
Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
lemon177 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
lemon177's Tacoma Gallery
got pix of the new wheels? very interested to see them. btw, who did you find to do your install? im sure angel would be able to do it, his shop is in puhi, forget the exact name of it though
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Yeah he sent them priority mail....got them in a few days...........Matthew..the shop almost directly across from Servco. I think Calvin's dad runs it.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
lemon177 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
lemon177's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok right on, they work with alot of toyotas. im interested to see them on the pyrite, sorry i didnt search the 60 pages for it.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Mechanic Wanted Kauai-wheels.jpg heres a pic
Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #12
IKA fabrications

Nice! The bronze matches pretty well! Post it up in the countersteer thread.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
Kauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedKauai Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Cav Troop XO, 1LT
Kauai Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Uppiedog, so who you go to for install?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:45 AM   #14
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
FWIW

the guy that I had install my leaf packs claimed that
they werent designed for tacomas
have 3 overload leafs
will not flex
will not handle well
and make the truck look stupid

but...
it was designed specifically for the tacoma
it has no overload leaves
it has almost a foot of flex built into it
it rides fine

there just isnt enough of a solid offroad scene here for good aftermarket parts to show up enough for local shops to get used to seeing...or seeing at all. don't trust shops that don't have an idea what they're talking about, that's what we're for
Who said that about your leafs?

I went AAL no problems... Plus 1 one warranty part...
Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsenordave View Post
Who said that about your leafs?

I went AAL no problems... Plus 1 one warranty part...
a tech up mauka..that apparently isnt employed anymore, thankfully. haha
Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #16
iRep8OH8 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chaz
iRep8OH8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppiedog View Post
So I get new 2013 Prerunner Sport Package coming on Monday. I just wanted to do a few upgrade so I bought some Konig Six Shooters 17" x 8" from FN Wheels. I plan on using the stock tires that come with the truck and just switch out the wheels . I also purchased Bilsteins 5100s Adjustables cuz I heard that was a fairly inexpensive way to level out the truck and would give a better ride than a spacer.
I've seen alot of good comments about the shocks on Tacoma World and it seems like alot of people use them. However, when I started calling local shops (I spoke to 5 of the major shops in Lihue) not one of them knew what I was talking about w/ adjustable shocks or wanted to install them. Only one shop said they would install them , switch out the wheels stems and sensors, and align it for $800! I thought that was a bit high..... # of the shops said "well don't they already come w/ Bilsteins?" A couple told me I would be voiding the warranty, which doesn't sound good
Anyone have any comments or suggestions about someone on Island that knows about this stuff?
Am I making a mistake putting on the shocks??
Mahalos in advance for any suggestions....Kelly

Have you tried calling Kapaa Tire?? that's my girlfriend's shop!