Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Family vacation in Kauai

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Family vacation in Kauai

Hey Fellas-

My family is heading to Kauai in July to celebrate my uncles life who lived in Kauai since the early 90's until his passing last year. If anyone can recommend some nice places to visit, maybe some quiet semi private beaches, nice snorkling beaches that would be great. We'll be staying in Kapaa and I know the west side doesn't have the nicest beaches compared to the north side but we will have a rental car.

I'd appreciate any information you guys could give me.

Thanks,

Johnnie
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
808 Zombie Outbreak Tactical Response Team K9 Unit
DJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to allDJSPEC is a name known to all

Name: Sean
DJSPEC's Tacoma Gallery
Kauai is a beautiful island! Just be careful of the sharks and riptides on those beaches. They can be killer!

But I'm an Oahu boy, a Kauai local can help you out better! Lol
Old 05-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
lemon177 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matthew
lemon177's Tacoma Gallery
id suggest playing tourist on atleast one of the tours, such as a catamaran to the napali coast, ATV rides, tube rides, ect. you can stop in at any lobby of a hotel and grab a few brochures. snorkeling, id say either the south sides poipu beach or north shores anini beach. both have life gaurds and is fairly calm. since youll have a rental, you could totally waste a day by driving around and basically do a self tour. either way, lots of good food options but everything pretty much shuts down after 8-9pm.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
I stayed in Poipu when I went outrigger managed property. Nice condo set up gave you some privacy. Waimea canyon is epic!! The drive to the Napali coast is cool I liked Princeville.

Enjoy!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
Rt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shedRt1Box92A is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
Rt1Box92A's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.kauaifuntours.com/

Baptiste family are the greatest!
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. we're also staying at Outrigger at Waipouli.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
ldcros is on a distinguished road
Name: Larry
ldcros's Tacoma Gallery
If you really want to experience Kauai I highly recommend you buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-K...auai+guidebook

or even better they also have an iphone app version that is "geo-aware" (a book that knows where it's at) under the name Kauai Revealed in the iTunes store.

I have found everything these guys write about is accurate.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
RiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutRiverBoyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
RiverBoyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I stayed on Barking Sands base. But the boat tour around the island was a blast. I ziplined as well, just be careful of the chickens
Old 05-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
kevinea is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kevinea's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon177 View Post
id suggest playing tourist on atleast one of the tours, such as a catamaran to the napali coast, ATV rides, tube rides, ect. you can stop in at any lobby of a hotel and grab a few brochures. snorkeling, id say either the south sides poipu beach or north shores anini beach. both have life gaurds and is fairly calm. since youll have a rental, you could totally waste a day by driving around and basically do a self tour. either way, lots of good food options but everything pretty much shuts down after 8-9pm.
Lemon177 pretty much explained it all.

Howzit Johnnie!

There are many different things to see on Kauai. Beautiful beaches to start off with and some pretty cool scenery to go along with it.
And great choice of hotel, as the Outrigger at Waipoli is a very nice; I got to stay there a few nights with some family and it was awesome! Theres a small shopping center right across from the hotel and has a 24 hour Safeway. And there is also the Waipoli shopping center as well.

As for places to check out, the South side of Kauai is a must, for awesome beaches and sight seeing (tourist like atmosphere, lots of shopping, but very nice), great snorkeling spots and there are usually life guards everywhere just in case the ocean starts to get a little rough.

Waimea Canyon on the West side of the island.

Koke'e State Park is another place you should visit. Its up in the mountains and has amazing scenery.

The North Shore is nice as well. Hanalei and Princeville are places to visit on that side of the island. Haena (the absolute end of the road) has wet and dry caves which are interesting. Theres a beach right before it that can be some what dangerous to snorkel, but is definitely worth taking a look at.

And like Idcros said, looking up information via books and online readings aren't a bad idea at all! There's a lot of information on the internet so finding information shouldn't be a problem.

Here's some link to start you off.
http://www.gohawaii.com/kauai
http://www.kauai-hawaii.com/
http://www.kauai.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns!

Aloha!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #11

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. I'm going to do some research based on what you provided me. I'm getting excited!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
kevinea is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kevinea's Tacoma Gallery
Hahaha, sounds good Johnnie!
You should be getting excited; small island but many things to do and see.

And like I said, if you have any other questions just ask!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #13

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinea View Post
Hahaha, sounds good Johnnie!
You should be getting excited; small island but many things to do and see.

And like I said, if you have any other questions just ask!
Will do. I'd really like to find small hiking trails that lead to water falls for us to swim in. Since I have two small boys we can't hike very difficult trails.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be in touch with you.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Zipline for sure if you haven't before or even if you have since the Kauai rain forest is a whole new world. Waimea Canyon like was mentioned-awesome.

There's a Mexican restaurant in a little strip mall by Nawiliwili Bay that is really good if you're into that (I know Mexican in Hawaii...but it was amazing after 1.5 years on Oahu).
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #15

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Fellas-

I'm leaving Thursday morning to Kauai. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Products Discussed in this Thread