1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Family vacation in Kauai

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Johnnie, May 1, 2013.

1. May 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    Johnnie

Johnnie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Hey Fellas-

My family is heading to Kauai in July to celebrate my uncles life who lived in Kauai since the early 90's until his passing last year. If anyone can recommend some nice places to visit, maybe some quiet semi private beaches, nice snorkling beaches that would be great. We'll be staying in Kapaa and I know the west side doesn't have the nicest beaches compared to the north side but we will have a rental car.

I'd appreciate any information you guys could give me.

Thanks,

Johnnie

2. May 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM
    DJSPEC

DJSPEC @GuardianAdventures

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean G
    Kaimuki,Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 & 2014 TRD SPORT DCSB & 2016 TRD-OR AC 4x4
    Viper Alarm NorthStar 31 Battery Pelfreybilt Battery Cage OEM roof racks, step sides 35W 6000k HID Fog Lights 35% tint Front windows 5% tint rear windows 2 Sets of Rigid Industries D2 above the valance Duallys on Famous Fabrication's Hood Hinge Brackets Rigid Industries SR2 10" in HoodScoop with C4 Fabrications Hood Scoop Bracket Flowmasters Super 44 series 9942446) Firestone Destination MT/2 295/70R17 Method 702 17” 0 offset Wet Okole Seat Covers OEM Tow Hitch Plastidip Front Valance FoglightMod(Fuel Pump Relay Version) Matt Gecko Truck Bed LED Kit and Sliding Window Security Bar Snugtop Rebel King 2.5 adjustable front and rear Dakar HD Leaf Springs Icon tubular UCA Dirt Kings LCA
    Kauai is a beautiful island! Just be careful of the sharks and riptides on those beaches. They can be killer!

But I'm an Oahu boy, a Kauai local can help you out better! Lol

3. May 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    id suggest playing tourist on atleast one of the tours, such as a catamaran to the napali coast, ATV rides, tube rides, ect. you can stop in at any lobby of a hotel and grab a few brochures. snorkeling, id say either the south sides poipu beach or north shores anini beach. both have life gaurds and is fairly calm. since youll have a rental, you could totally waste a day by driving around and basically do a self tour. either way, lots of good food options but everything pretty much shuts down after 8-9pm.

4. May 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    They have Polo matches on sunday.

5. May 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM
    elsenordave

elsenordave HaoleBilt

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave Smith
    |-| /-\ \/\/ /-\ | |
    Vehicle:
    Blown 2013 NBM DCSB Sport
    AFE CAI TRD Exhaust TRD Supercharger 3" Cornfed Spacer 2" Toytec AAL
    I stayed in Poipu when I went outrigger managed property. Nice condo set up gave you some privacy. Waimea canyon is epic!! The drive to the Napali coast is cool I liked Princeville.

Enjoy!

6. May 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

94607 Guest

7. May 2, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Thanks guys. we're also staying at Outrigger at Waipouli.

8. May 2, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    ldcros

ldcros New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD sport 4x4 dbl cab
    Leer top
  9. May 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    RiverBoyTRD

RiverBoyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR
    2 Hellas, 3 inch, spiders, grill guard, 285's, BHLM etc.
    I stayed on Barking Sands base. But the boat tour around the island was a blast. I ziplined as well, just be careful of the chickens

10. May 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    kevinea

kevinea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Hawaii, Kauai -> Hilo --> Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4x4 (3RZ), 2001 Tacoma 4x4 (5VZ Charged), 2003 Tacoma 4x4 (5VZ n/a)
    Lemon177 pretty much explained it all. :D

Howzit Johnnie!

There are many different things to see on Kauai. Beautiful beaches to start off with and some pretty cool scenery to go along with it.
    And great choice of hotel, as the Outrigger at Waipoli is a very nice; I got to stay there a few nights with some family and it was awesome! Theres a small shopping center right across from the hotel and has a 24 hour Safeway. And there is also the Waipoli shopping center as well.

As for places to check out, the South side of Kauai is a must, for awesome beaches and sight seeing (tourist like atmosphere, lots of shopping, but very nice), great snorkeling spots and there are usually life guards everywhere just in case the ocean starts to get a little rough.

Waimea Canyon on the West side of the island.

Koke'e State Park is another place you should visit. Its up in the mountains and has amazing scenery. :thumbsup:

The North Shore is nice as well. Hanalei and Princeville are places to visit on that side of the island. Haena (the absolute end of the road) has wet and dry caves which are interesting. Theres a beach right before it that can be some what dangerous to snorkel, but is definitely worth taking a look at. :)

And like Idcros said, looking up information via books and online readings aren't a bad idea at all! There's a lot of information on the internet so finding information shouldn't be a problem.

Here's some link to start you off.
    http://www.gohawaii.com/kauai
    http://www.kauai-hawaii.com/
    http://www.kauai.com/

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns!

Aloha!

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  11. May 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Thanks guys. I'm going to do some research based on what you provided me. I'm getting excited!

12. May 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    kevinea

kevinea Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Hawaii, Kauai -> Hilo --> Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4x4 (3RZ), 2001 Tacoma 4x4 (5VZ Charged), 2003 Tacoma 4x4 (5VZ n/a)
    Hahaha, sounds good Johnnie!
    You should be getting excited; small island but many things to do and see.

And like I said, if you have any other questions just ask!

13. May 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Will do. I'd really like to find small hiking trails that lead to water falls for us to swim in. Since I have two small boys we can't hike very difficult trails.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be in touch with you.

14. May 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Zipline for sure if you haven't before or even if you have since the Kauai rain forest is a whole new world. Waimea Canyon like was mentioned-awesome.

There's a Mexican restaurant in a little strip mall by Nawiliwili Bay that is really good if you're into that (I know Mexican in Hawaii...but it was amazing after 1.5 years on Oahu).

15. Jul 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
    Johnnie

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Hey Fellas-

I'm leaving Thursday morning to Kauai. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Products Discussed in

To Top