Notices

Help with headlights + projectors

Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
bllaaaarrggghhhh
blanc is on a distinguished road
Name: Allen
blanc's Tacoma Gallery
Help with headlights + projectors

I've been looking for headlights with bhlm and morimoto projectors with led dtrl. There's not much on google that I can buy but I'm too clumsy to make my own. Anyway to do this with some on-the-fly help? Thanks

I kinda want them to look like (tw member: aaronarf)

The member ambiguous stopped making headlights like these so it's a project for sure.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
geev um!
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanc View Post
I've been looking for headlights with bhlm and morimoto projectors with led dtrl. There's not much on google that I can buy but I'm too clumsy to make my own. Anyway to do this with some on-the-fly help? Thanks

I kinda want them to look like (tw member: aaronarf)

The member ambiguous stopped making headlights like these so it's a project for sure.
Go to the retrofit source.com the Morimoto mini d2s requires little to no modification. The hardest part was learning to remove the headlights and then baking em to get the adhesive soft to get em apart. I just did where I preheated the oven for 300 degrees, took all the bulb and plastic trim off the headlight, turned of the oven, placed the headlight on cardboard so its touching no metal whatsoever, close the oven, wait 7 minutes with oven off. Then try see if you can get the two halves apart. Not the biggest project but still time consuming. Didn't do the blh mod, not really my thing, but that just adds another step. I believe its two torx screws and I read people get good results with Krylon fusion paint, as it is meant for plastic.

Good luck! Oh, and I taped up the headlights as not to scratch them during removal/installation. search 2012 headlight removal to find a vid with hints as to how its done.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
bllaaaarrggghhhh
blanc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Go to the retrofit source.com the Morimoto mini d2s requires little to no modification. The hardest part was learning to remove the headlights and then baking em to get the adhesive soft to get em apart. I just did where I preheated the oven for 300 degrees, took all the bulb and plastic trim off the headlight, turned of the oven, placed the headlight on cardboard so its touching no metal whatsoever, close the oven, wait 7 minutes with oven off. Then try see if you can get the two halves apart. Not the biggest project but still time consuming. Didn't do the blh mod, not really my thing, but that just adds another step. I believe its two torx screws and I read people get good results with Krylon fusion paint, as it is meant for plastic.

Good luck! Oh, and I taped up the headlights as not to scratch them during removal/installation. search 2012 headlight removal to find a vid with hints as to how its done.
dude. I've been researching since before I got my truck! so I found the bi-xenon morimoto mini d2s and the complete d2s hid system. i don't trust myself baking though.. how does yours look?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
bllaaaarrggghhhh
blanc's Tacoma Gallery
wait do I need both the morimoto hid system and the d2s mini projector? or just the projector
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianAnts View Post
I offer retrofit services.
How much is the 2013 set up?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
geev um!
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
dude. I've been researching since before I got my truck! so I found the bi-xenon morimoto mini d2s and the complete d2s hid system. i don't trust myself baking though.. how does yours look?
I just did it so it'll take some getting used to for me. At first I thought it looked goofy. I'll upload a pic later.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #8
geev um!

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wait do I need both the morimoto hid system and the d2s mini projector? or just the projector
The morimoto kit has the projector and hid kit that you select from the drop down menus on retrofit source. So you can pick and choose what you want, shrouds and all. Look under complete kits.

I'd rather just try doing it myself over paying someone else to do it for me, but if you don't have faith in yourself, its up to you. It was my first time doing projector retrofits. I survived, so anyone should be able to do it!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
bllaaaarrggghhhh
blanc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The morimoto kit has the projector and hid kit that you select from the drop down menus on retrofit source. So you can pick and choose what you want, shrouds and all. Look under complete kits.

I'd rather just try doing it myself over paying someone else to do it for me, but if you don't have faith in yourself, its up to you. It was my first time doing projector retrofits. I survived, so anyone should be able to do it!
Man. I'm bout to do this... Where did you mount your ballasts? Did you have to connect it to your battery?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
On 2012+ models you have to cut the notch on the self rotational locking washer to get the cut off line straight. For some reason, the 2012+ Tacomas come stock tilted about 5-10 degrees.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #11
geev um!

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Man. I'm bout to do this... Where did you mount your ballasts? Did you have to connect it to your battery?
Just cleaned a spot and double sided mounting taped it to the panels behind the lights. It lays flat there. And yes you tap one wire to the + battery and two to grounded points on frame or you could run a wire directly to the - terminal of battery. Sorry, thought I could do it from my phone, but later I'll upload pics to the pc and try to post them.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
Quack Addict
monstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonstertaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monstertaco12's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-finished.html
Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
geev um!

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry I took so long to figure this technology stuff out....

Morimoto d2s 5000k Apollo shrouds hide it well.
No halo, black headlight mod. Everyone has their own taste, but I think the truck in the post above looks like an identity crisis. Like they really wanted a BMW, an older accord with blacked out shrouds, and watched fast and furious one too many times.
I wanted the clean cutoff line, so I know how far to stop behind cars as not to blind them. Plus, throwing more light on the ground is always a plus. I think my truck looks weird with the retrofit, reminds me of a fish with beady eyes. I guess it'll take time to get used to it.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #14
bllaaaarrggghhhh
blanc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sorry I took so long to figure this technology stuff out....

Morimoto d2s 5000k Apollo shrouds hide it well.
No halo, black headlight mod. Everyone has their own taste, but I think the truck in the post above looks like an identity crisis. Like they really wanted a BMW, an older accord with blacked out shrouds, and watched fast and furious one too many times.
I wanted the clean cutoff line, so I know how far to stop behind cars as not to blind them. Plus, throwing more light on the ground is always a plus. I think my truck looks weird with the retrofit, reminds me of a fish with beady eyes. I guess it'll take time to get used to it.
haha. if you don't like em, I'll pay for the system and you can have my oem lights. if I do happen to get the system, would you be willing to help me out? and which relay harness did you get?
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
geev um!

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha. if you don't like em, I'll pay for the system and you can have my oem lights. if I do happen to get the system, would you be willing to help me out? and which relay harness did you get?
No, I'll keep em.
Don't think I'll have time to help with the whole install. But it's pretty much straightforward.
I have the morimoto 35 ballast

The d2s 5000k, more pure white, 4300k is more light output, but not as white as the 5000k, it's what oem installs use. 6000k has a slight cool blue tint to it with less output than 5000k, but has a little more color. So 4300k is brightest, go lower kelvin for more yellow, higher for more blue then purple, but all those will put out less light. 5000k is a good compromise.

Relay is for the 9003/h4 bulb that your tacome comes with stock.

You'll need a Dremel to cut out the tab on the insisde of the alignment ring, or you can use a file.

Flat head screwdriver to remove the plastic pop rivets for grill, 10mm socket for under fender, lights, and grill removal. Philips head screwdriver for headlight trim removal and to open headlights up. Also there are two torx screw to remove on headlight.

There are grounding points behind both headlights for the ballasts, depending where you choose to mount them, you may need to extend the wires. I used a small section of 16ga and extended one ground. Somhoummay need a crimp/crimper, depending where/how you mount the ballasts. I just used double sided mounting tape, no brackets.

I'd also use painters tape (blue) to mask off the lights as to not scratch the housings while removing them, also taped the area around the lights as well.

I used channel lock pliers to tighten the rings and position the projector in the housing. To aim the projector after installation you need an 8mm to adjust the factory alignment screws behind the headlight. The top one is the horizontal adjustment, the bottom one is the vertical adjustment. I'd leave the horizontal alone at first, just adjust the vertical.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
bllaaaarrggghhhh
blanc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, I'll keep em.
Don't think I'll have time to help with the whole install. But it's pretty much straightforward.
I have the morimoto 35 ballast

The d2s 5000k, more pure white, 4300k is more light output, but not as white as the 5000k, it's what oem installs use. 6000k has a slight cool blue tint to it with less output than 5000k, but has a little more color. So 4300k is brightest, go lower kelvin for more yellow, higher for more blue then purple, but all those will put out less light. 5000k is a good compromise.

Relay is for the 9003/h4 bulb that your tacome comes with stock.

You'll need a Dremel to cut out the tab on the insisde of the alignment ring, or you can use a file.

Flat head screwdriver to remove the plastic pop rivets for grill, 10mm socket for under fender, lights, and grill removal. Philips head screwdriver for headlight trim removal and to open headlights up. Also there are two torx screw to remove on headlight.

There are grounding points behind both headlights for the ballasts, depending where you choose to mount them, you may need to extend the wires. I used a small section of 16ga and extended one ground. Somhoummay need a crimp/crimper, depending where/how you mount the ballasts. I just used double sided mounting tape, no brackets.

I'd also use painters tape (blue) to mask off the lights as to not scratch the housings while removing them, also taped the area around the lights as well.

I used channel lock pliers to tighten the rings and position the projector in the housing. To aim the projector after installation you need an 8mm to adjust the factory alignment screws behind the headlight. The top one is the horizontal adjustment, the bottom one is the vertical adjustment. I'd leave the horizontal alone at first, just adjust the vertical.
right on Vigo! great explanation. did you get recon for the headlights in order to pass safety check or should I buy another set of 2013 headlights to do this mod. I'm looking up the lights and its like $160 per headlight. I'm wanting to do this because if I do bhlm, I might as well go all the way with retrofit
Old 06-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
geev um!

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
right on Vigo! great explanation. did you get recon for the headlights in order to pass safety check or should I buy another set of 2013 headlights to do this mod. I'm looking up the lights and its like $160 per headlight. I'm wanting to do this because if I do bhlm, I might as well go all the way with retrofit
I already went through the recon process before attempting this, but if you want it in black and white, somewhere in the hawaii laws its states that no modification to the vehicles lighting system is permitted, even if federal law states that something is legal, state law can say otherwise. Also something like no more than 4 forward facing lights, it's a lot to sift through. I looked it up a long time ago. Others may have passed, I really don't know what you can get away with.

Oh, and you'll need needle nose pliers to bend the tabs to remove the factory bulb covers to install the projector. You just bend the prongs straight on the back side and pull out frm the front. And that is the hole I used to run the wires for the high beam actuator, just need a small flathed to remove the prongs from the plug, and once you have everything in, reinstall the prongs in the plug, and make sure they don't pull out when you plug it in. If the high doesn't actuate that's probably the problem.

Light output is good with the 35w system. I've run 55w hids without projectors, reflector style hids, in my old accord and that was overkill. The high beams are impressive. Leaving Brandon's house the other night, this Audi was coming towards me with his high beams on, I was like wth?!? So blasted him right back, and that was the end of that!

I'll pm my info.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
FMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Hospital Corpsman
Name: Topher
FMF's Tacoma Gallery
You could try asking I5runner up for some help. He has help several other folks with their headlight conversions.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
bllaaaarrggghhhh
blanc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I already went through the recon process before attempting this, but if you want it in black and white, somewhere in the hawaii laws its states that no modification to the vehicles lighting system is permitted, even if federal law states that something is legal, state law can say otherwise. Also something like no more than 4 forward facing lights, it's a lot to sift through. I looked it up a long time ago. Others may have passed, I really don't know what you can get away with.

Oh, and you'll need needle nose pliers to bend the tabs to remove the factory bulb covers to install the projector. You just bend the prongs straight on the back side and pull out frm the front. And that is the hole I used to run the wires for the high beam actuator, just need a small flathed to remove the prongs from the plug, and once you have everything in, reinstall the prongs in the plug, and make sure they don't pull out when you plug it in. If the high doesn't actuate that's probably the problem.

Light output is good with the 35w system. I've run 55w hids without projectors, reflector style hids, in my old accord and that was overkill. The high beams are impressive. Leaving Brandon's house the other night, this Audi was coming towards me with his high beams on, I was like wth?!? So blasted him right back, and that was the end of that!

I'll pm my info.
argh. ok. I want to do this so I gotta look for cheap 2012-2013 headlights. I want to keep oem for safety and the hids
Old 07-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #20
Little Member
Ftroop will become famous soon enoughFtroop will become famous soon enough

Army:
Ftroop's Tacoma Gallery
K, I know this is probably a dumb question but..... How da F!@$& do u get the headlights out!! Brah, been trying to wiggle it for like 1 hr... I don't know if I missed a screw or what but I got frustrated and gave up