1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with headlights + projectors

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by blanc, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jun 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    blanc

blanc [OP] bllaaaarrggghhhh

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb limited
    led license plate lights
    I've been looking for headlights with bhlm and morimoto projectors with led dtrl. There's not much on google that I can buy but I'm too clumsy to make my own. Anyway to do this with some on-the-fly help? Thanks

I kinda want them to look like (tw member: aaronarf)

[​IMG]

The member ambiguous stopped making headlights like these so it's a project for sure.

2. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Go to the retrofit source.com the Morimoto mini d2s requires little to no modification. The hardest part was learning to remove the headlights and then baking em to get the adhesive soft to get em apart. I just did where I preheated the oven for 300 degrees, took all the bulb and plastic trim off the headlight, turned of the oven, placed the headlight on cardboard so its touching no metal whatsoever, close the oven, wait 7 minutes with oven off. Then try see if you can get the two halves apart. Not the biggest project but still time consuming. Didn't do the blh mod, not really my thing, but that just adds another step. I believe its two torx screws and I read people get good results with Krylon fusion paint, as it is meant for plastic.

Good luck! Oh, and I taped up the headlights as not to scratch them during removal/installation. search 2012 headlight removal to find a vid with hints as to how its done.

3. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    I offer retrofit services.

4. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    blanc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb limited
    led license plate lights
    dude. I've been researching since before I got my truck! so I found the bi-xenon morimoto mini d2s and the complete d2s hid system. i don't trust myself baking though.. how does yours look?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  5. Jun 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    blanc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb limited
    led license plate lights
    wait do I need both the morimoto hid system and the d2s mini projector? or just the projector

6. Jun 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    elsenordave

elsenordave HaoleBilt

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave Smith
    |-| /-\ \/\/ /-\ | |
    Vehicle:
    Blown 2013 NBM DCSB Sport
    AFE CAI TRD Exhaust TRD Supercharger 3" Cornfed Spacer 2" Toytec AAL
    How much is the 2013 set up?

7. Jun 20, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    I just did it so it'll take some getting used to for me. At first I thought it looked goofy. I'll upload a pic later.

8. Jun 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    The morimoto kit has the projector and hid kit that you select from the drop down menus on retrofit source. So you can pick and choose what you want, shrouds and all. Look under complete kits.

I'd rather just try doing it myself over paying someone else to do it for me, but if you don't have faith in yourself, its up to you. It was my first time doing projector retrofits. I survived, so anyone should be able to do it!

9. Jun 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM
    blanc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb limited
    led license plate lights
    Man. I'm bout to do this... Where did you mount your ballasts? Did you have to connect it to your battery?

10. Jun 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Bsheriff11

Bsheriff11 Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Casual.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Virginia livin', South Carolina raised
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited T4R
    Click My Sig Homie
    On 2012+ models you have to cut the notch on the self rotational locking washer to get the cut off line straight. For some reason, the 2012+ Tacomas come stock tilted about 5-10 degrees.

11. Jun 21, 2013 at 2:03 AM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Just cleaned a spot and double sided mounting taped it to the panels behind the lights. It lays flat there. And yes you tap one wire to the + battery and two to grounded points on frame or you could run a wire directly to the - terminal of battery. Sorry, thought I could do it from my phone, but later I'll upload pics to the pc and try to post them.

12. Jun 21, 2013 at 2:18 AM
    monstertaco12

monstertaco12 Quack Addict

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Off Road
  13. Jun 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Sorry I took so long to figure this technology stuff out....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Morimoto d2s 5000k Apollo shrouds hide it well.
    No halo, black headlight mod. Everyone has their own taste, but I think the truck in the post above looks like an identity crisis. Like they really wanted a BMW, an older accord with blacked out shrouds, and watched fast and furious one too many times.
    I wanted the clean cutoff line, so I know how far to stop behind cars as not to blind them. Plus, throwing more light on the ground is always a plus. I think my truck looks weird with the retrofit, reminds me of a fish with beady eyes. I guess it'll take time to get used to it.

14. Jun 21, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    blanc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb limited
    led license plate lights
    haha. if you don't like em, I'll pay for the system and you can have my oem lights. if I do happen to get the system, would you be willing to help me out? and which relay harness did you get?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  15. Jun 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    No, I'll keep em.
    Don't think I'll have time to help with the whole install. But it's pretty much straightforward.
    I have the morimoto 35 ballast

The d2s 5000k, more pure white, 4300k is more light output, but not as white as the 5000k, it's what oem installs use. 6000k has a slight cool blue tint to it with less output than 5000k, but has a little more color. So 4300k is brightest, go lower kelvin for more yellow, higher for more blue then purple, but all those will put out less light. 5000k is a good compromise.

Relay is for the 9003/h4 bulb that your tacome comes with stock.

You'll need a Dremel to cut out the tab on the insisde of the alignment ring, or you can use a file.

Flat head screwdriver to remove the plastic pop rivets for grill, 10mm socket for under fender, lights, and grill removal. Philips head screwdriver for headlight trim removal and to open headlights up. Also there are two torx screw to remove on headlight.

There are grounding points behind both headlights for the ballasts, depending where you choose to mount them, you may need to extend the wires. I used a small section of 16ga and extended one ground. Somhoummay need a crimp/crimper, depending where/how you mount the ballasts. I just used double sided mounting tape, no brackets.

I'd also use painters tape (blue) to mask off the lights as to not scratch the housings while removing them, also taped the area around the lights as well.

I used channel lock pliers to tighten the rings and position the projector in the housing. To aim the projector after installation you need an 8mm to adjust the factory alignment screws behind the headlight. The top one is the horizontal adjustment, the bottom one is the vertical adjustment. I'd leave the horizontal alone at first, just adjust the vertical.

16. Jun 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM
    blanc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb limited
    led license plate lights
    right on Vigo! great explanation. did you get recon for the headlights in order to pass safety check or should I buy another set of 2013 headlights to do this mod. I'm looking up the lights and its like $160 per headlight. I'm wanting to do this because if I do bhlm, I might as well go all the way with retrofit

17. Jun 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    I already went through the recon process before attempting this, but if you want it in black and white, somewhere in the hawaii laws its states that no modification to the vehicles lighting system is permitted, even if federal law states that something is legal, state law can say otherwise. Also something like no more than 4 forward facing lights, it's a lot to sift through. I looked it up a long time ago. Others may have passed, I really don't know what you can get away with.

Oh, and you'll need needle nose pliers to bend the tabs to remove the factory bulb covers to install the projector. You just bend the prongs straight on the back side and pull out frm the front. And that is the hole I used to run the wires for the high beam actuator, just need a small flathed to remove the prongs from the plug, and once you have everything in, reinstall the prongs in the plug, and make sure they don't pull out when you plug it in. If the high doesn't actuate that's probably the problem.

Light output is good with the 35w system. I've run 55w hids without projectors, reflector style hids, in my old accord and that was overkill. The high beams are impressive. Leaving Brandon's house the other night, this Audi was coming towards me with his high beams on, I was like wth?!? So blasted him right back, and that was the end of that!

I'll pm my info.

18. Jun 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    FMF

FMF Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    Chicago Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    SUSPENSION ARB Old Man Emu BP-51 OME Internal Bypass coil overs and rear shocks Suspension ARB Dakar one ton Rear Hi-Lux Leafs EL091 U Bolt Flip Kit Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Spring Daystar Universal Air Bag Cradle Wheelers Front Super Bump Stops SPC Performance Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms All-Pro 4" Steel Braided Brake Lines EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads WHEELS TIRES TRD 16-in Off-Road Beadlock-Style Alloy Wheels Bronze BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain KM2 255/85R16 with matching full size spare. ARMOR ARB Deluxe Bull Bar with Quadratec Q9500is Winch with Dyneema Synthetic Rope B.A.M.F Kick Out Rock Sliders PERFORMANCE ARB Safari Snorkel TRD Performance Exhaust System INTERIOR Clazzio Leather Seat Covers LIGHTING ARB IPF 900XS Extreme Driving Lights Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights All interior lighting swapped to LED's AUDIO Front Doors: Rokford Fosgate p1694 6x9 Rokford Fosgate Tweeter P1T-s Back Doors: Rokford Fosgate P16 6 ½ OTHER Custom Martin Truck Bodies Aluminum Flatbed Weather Tech Window Rain Deflectors Bird Dawg Tech Extreme Deck Gadget Mount PrinSu Design Aluminum Roof Rack T6 Aluminum Devil Horn Toyota Emblem Ceramic Window Tint Bushwacker fender flares
    You could try asking I5runner up for some help. He has help several other folks with their headlight conversions.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    Trd96817 likes this.
  19. Jun 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    blanc

Member:
    First Name:
    Allen
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb limited
    led license plate lights
    argh. ok. I want to do this so I gotta look for cheap 2012-2013 headlights. I want to keep oem for safety and the hids

20. Jul 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM
    Ftroop

Ftroop Little Member

Member:
    rock in the middle of the sea
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DCSB
    PlastiDipped badges, N-Fab steps, SCA bedside decals, interior LEDs
    K, I know this is probably a dumb question but..... How da F!@$& do u get the headlights out!! Brah, been trying to wiggle it for like 1 hr... I don't know if I missed a screw or what but I got frustrated and gave up

Products Discussed in

To Top