1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The "NO-NO" local thread

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by raycie, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Aug 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    When I first started dating my wife (mainland haole girl) she would always ask me if I was going to take "78" or some other road/highway number.. On oahu we don't use the damn numbers...

Which is kinda ironic with those "Exit" stickers.. I don't even use exit numbers..

2. Aug 24, 2013 at 5:00 AM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    The only ones I can really think of locals on Oahu using the numbers is H1, H2 or H3...but then its mostly "yeah cuz I stay by da kunia off ramp" or "I almost by da stadium" or "kinda by da pali but traffic stey picking up".

It woulda been cool to have an H4...the elevated roadway that the airport viaduct was supposed to go towards Alamoana and end up by King St. Thats why theres an off ramp to no where next to King St.

Isnt there like no exit 8 or exit 9? The exit numbers usually refers to the area the guys from....

3. Sep 13, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    2k4Taco

2k4Taco IG: Swannybruh

Member:
    First Name:
    Swanny
    Fleming Island, Fl
    Vehicle:
    16 DC TRD Offroad 4x4
    Icon 2.5s / 2.0's / //Dakar HD Pack//CBI T3 Front/ ATH HC Rear//SPC UCAs/ Camburg LCAs// MR312s w/ 34in Yoko GeoLndrs
    This thread has definatly been informational. Thanks guys Im looking forward to the time my family and I are going to spend on Oahu. Im glad Im getting the opportunity to live there and experiance it.

4. Sep 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    MikeyTG

MikeyTG Oh Herro

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oahu
    Couple things I've picked up in my first few months here (locals help me out if I've jacked something up):

Directions,

Windward is generally the northern coast, but I'm gathering that usually Windward is used for Northeast (Kailua/Kaneohe), while Northshore is used for Northwest

Leeward is the southern (probably from like Koko Head all the way to Kaena Pt)

Town is Honolulu

Ewa (eh-va) means go west (still not sure what east is)

Theres another term for heading towards the mountains or the sea, can't recall off the top of my head right now

Avoid H1 during traffic unless you must drive it, be careful on the road when it rains

and last but not least, SMILE... YOU'RE IN HAWAII. Don't be the cool douche bag that projects a hard image. Be friendly and you'll get friendliness back (this is good advice for everywhere, right?)

5. Sep 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    windward is generally Kailua/Kaneohe, once you get up to Kahaluu and beyond, the exact destination is used (Laie, Kahuku, Waihole, etc)

Heading east is usually "Town-bound" or "Hawaii Kai bound" depending where you are.

North is also Mauka(means mountain) and Makai(ocean) is also used for in referencing.

Leeward is in relation to Leeward Community College and sometimes used as a west-bound reference as Ewa is also used.

kinda looking at a compass, Mauka=North, Windward=East, Ewa=West, and Town is usually South

it's true that when it rains, people drive like shit...even though it rains quite a bit, it seems like people still don't learn.

6. Sep 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    batmobile

batmobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner
    not only when it rains though haha.

7. Sep 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    very true! :rofl:

8. Sep 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    Pretty close, but most use ewa bound for west, unless you're past ewa, then it's becomes makaha or waianae bound. And for east, it's normally diamond head bound, unless you are past diamond head then it becomes kokohead bound. And mauka means towards the mountains and makai means towards the ocean, no matter what direction it shows on the compass. It doesn't make too much sense but it's what we grew up with... In hawaii we tend to be landmark navigators... For example... Turn left at the green house and go past the gas station and make a right, it's the house wth the mango tree in the front yard..

9. Sep 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
  10. Sep 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    TRDGRL

TRDGRL My Toys.....

Member:
    First Name:
    TRDGRL
    RainForestVille, Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '11 BLK Tacoma PreRunner TRD SR5 Access Cab
    See Signature.....
    I thought I was reading pidgin to the max! :D:p;):rolleyes::cool::)

11. Sep 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    socal16

socal16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    las vegas nv
    Vehicle:
    08 trd offroad black 4x4!!!
    wheels and tires, k&n cold air intake, limo tint,bhlm,TRD seatcovers, OME lift
    Looking forward to moving back to kona, definitely learned a lot while living there, tons of friendly people

Products Discussed in

To Top