Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

The "NO-NO" local thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
The "NO-NO" local thread

In an effort to assist all our non-local members we should have some NO-NO's (do not do's) in the local mindset.

Locals (born and raised, or those that know better,,,)... add in as it goes...

1. Invites to a BBQ (potluck) does not mean that the grill will be hot, and to bring something (for yourself) to cook... Bring enough for everyone, as a "shared dish"..

2. If you say you gonna show up, show up... even for a minute or more, , but show up, cause there will be probably be enough food to feed an army.......
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Don't bring bud light and drink the craft beer .
Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
pau=done.
our ways of life are different...dont impede.
many of us are happy how we live our lives, if we liked it so much we would move there!
if there's other surfers in the water, there must be a line up. guy whos been waiting up there the longest is usually by the break..he's next!
shaka even if you dont know them...and dont maake all serious kine when you do that.
dont go jumping off any waterfall....check the depth first! a lot of times its murky, shallow, and sometimes rocks!
dont ever tell a local they look funny.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
pau=done.
our ways of life are different...dont impede.
many of us are happy how we live our lives, if we liked it so much we would move there!
if there's other surfers in the water, there must be a line up. guy whos been waiting up there the longest is usually by the break..he's next!
shaka even if you dont know them...and dont maake all serious kine when you do that.
dont go jumping off any waterfall....check the depth first! a lot of times its murky, shallow, and sometimes rocks!
dont ever tell a local they look funny.
#truestory
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
scorpio382 is on a distinguished road
Name: D-Man
scorpio382's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
In an effort to assist all our non-local members we should have some NO-NO's (do not do's) in the local mindset.

Locals (born and raised, or those that know better,,,)... add in as it goes...

1. Invites to a BBQ (potluck) does not mean that the grill will be hot, and to bring something (for yourself) to cook... Bring enough for everyone, as a "shared dish"..

2. If you say you gonna show up, show up... even for a minute or more, , but show up, cause there will be probably be enough food to feed an army.......
Very true.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
bllaaaarrggghhhh
blanc is on a distinguished road
Name: Allen
blanc's Tacoma Gallery
haha. so true. pot luck means small party. bring something to share with the whole gang. then leave with mixed plate take home leftovas!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
The NotaRC 4runner :D
1uzrnr is on a distinguished road

Navy: Vetran
1uzrnr's Tacoma Gallery
- Get used to being the minority
- Always be courteous to others, locals will notice and treat you differently and respect you based on that.
- Smile and while you shaka, it makes a difference
- Learn the real Hawaiian history, not the mainland BS version.
- Learn the culture and you will respect it.
- Sometimes it's better to bite your tongue
- Being called Haole or Papolo isn't always a derogatory descriptor, learn to know the difference

That's just a few things I live by

Oh, and don't wear swim shorts with elastic in the waist and let um ride low.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Banned
BurgerSandlot is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Fil Huge
BurgerSandlot's Tacoma Gallery
Nice one lol Ricers in there little CR-Z's always trying to race me!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uzrnr View Post
- Being called Haole...isn't always a derogatory descriptor,
I rock a Haole Built sticker on my DD & get some stink eye which is kinda of funny because most people think I grown not flown and trip when they find out I wasn't born here...
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #10
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
I used to call my wife my little Haole girl.. now we have a little hapa haole boy and a little hapa haole girl.... haole can can be an enduring term... depending on how it's used... but.. my mother-in-law still thinks it is only derogatory...

"When in Rome".... We have had a bunch of military friends. Some of them will be friends for life. Those who have loved their time here have embedded themselves in the local culture rather than trying to find the mainland in hawaii..

Kinda still gets under my skin when a mainlander refers to the mainland as "the states"... I usually say, "are you referring to the upper 48"? Lol...
Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Is it possible to get too far into the culture?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Slow lane cruiser
Bandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shedBandit is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: USAF Firefighter gone legit
Name: Another Matt
Bandit's Tacoma Gallery
Went to the Big Island once... Super cool place but I felt like I was gonna get jumped cause I didn't blend in at all. Felt more comfortable in Afghanistan than I did at Walmart in HI. This thread will be useful!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #14

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
Is it possible to get too far into the culture?
Not sure what you mean, or how... "trying" too hard will always be easy to spot. Being humble will go a long way.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #15

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Went to the Big Island once... Super cool place but I felt like I was gonna get jumped cause I didn't blend in at all. Felt more comfortable in Afghanistan than I did at Walmart in HI. This thread will be useful!
Was that because you were waffling around with a AR-15??? Or because you were surrounded by your fellow military brothers??? Lol..
Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
flatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to beholdflatfeet is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Rob
flatfeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Big Islanders are probably the most easy going people here in Hawaii. Although Hilo has been getting a rash of crime lately, in general, BI people are really friendly. I know, im from there, lol. FBI!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfeet View Post
Big Islanders are probably the most easy going people here in Hawaii. Although Hilo has been getting a rash of crime lately, in general, BI people are really friendly. I know, im from there, lol. FBI!
Ahhh, I dont wanna get into it, but it really does vary. Big Island will always be home, but looking at it from other places in the world..there is much more to see.

My aunty feels intimidated when she visits this island. My boss feels the same way and refuses/avoids certain places.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
wth is a junior member?
Vigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant futureVigo has a brilliant future

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
And if you have your blinker on, and someone lets you cut in front of them, Throw up a shaka to say thanks! Or even a wave will do.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
The NotaRC 4runner :D
1uzrnr is on a distinguished road

Navy: Vetran
1uzrnr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
And if you have your blinker on, and someone lets you cut in front of them, Throw up a shaka to say thanks! Or even a wave will do.
That really messes with the people in Cali, I just got back from there and they trip over a friendly wave.