1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Game Changer

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by raycie, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Aug 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Just an FYI and eye opener for all my Tacoma brothers..

Last Friday (4 days after turning 37), I woke up at 3:30 in the morning with a bad headache. The dog was barking so I got up to let her out. I could not walk straight at all. My son (4) for some reason got up and told me that he had wet the bed. When I tried talking to him, I found it weird that my voice was weak, and it had gone 2-3 octaves higher. My left-side lips and face were also numb and tingling.

Knowing some of the signs of a stroke, I turned on the light, smiled in the mirror, raised my arms, and said my ABCs. (all things I could do). I went back to lay down, but knew deep that something was wrong. Called a neighbor to watch the kids, and told my wife she needed to bring me down to the ER.

Even the ER nurse and the Dr. didn't think I was having/had a stroke because all of the "common" stroke symptoms (sagging smile, speech, etc) were not present. Sent me in for an MRI that confirmed that yes, I had suffered a minor stroke. Spent a couple nights at Pali Momi and was released Sunday. Not fully 100%, and don't feel like I should be driving yet, but getting better. Neuro says I should make a full recovery. I know that I was very fortunate and blessed that it was not as bad as it could have been.

I am VERY glad that I had life insurance (even a 30-year term policy). I was actually undergoing an increase to my current policy, but possibly that is now in jeopardy. I read that a stoke may make you non-insurable. Neurologist has classified it as a Vertebral Artery Dissection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebral_artery_dissection Kinda crazy that this is often the case of head/neck trauma, accidents, and unfortunately (in my case) possible chiropractic adjustments. (this is not a slam on my Chiropractor who I do like a lot - but maybe just a "be careful" with neck adjustments).

Case and point and moral to the story..
    -Have fun, enjoy, love, live pono (for me Godly), and make the most of the one life that we do have.
    -Know the signs for different things (i.e. stroke, heart attack) cause you never know if you may need to know it for you or someone you love.
    -No matter, make sure you plan in advance for your family. (If I didn't already have life insurance, I would have failed as a husband and a father to provide for my family if I were to ever die early, cause I may now be uninsurable). I feel even if you are anywhere in your late 20s/30s and not married/kids, but plan/want to have them one day, go get some (even a little) now..

Funny, a month to even a week before, I was personally changing out my Dakar leafs, adding in my top plate spacer, changing out a steering knuckle/spindle, and stressing over my recon appointment..

2. Aug 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Wow, glad you made it and good luck on a full recovery.

3. Aug 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2, scary stuff! Glad you're going to be alright :thumbsup:

4. Aug 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    Shooter808

Shooter808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mel
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Volant CAI and Ram Air Scoop, Coverking Tactical seat covers, HID fog and headlights, tailgate anti-theft mod, LED reverse, dome, maps, corner, and amber/white DTRL, Bilstein 5100 set at 2.5" for the front, Bilstein 5100 with 1.5" blocks in rear, fog light mod
    Glad to hear you are going to make a full recovery. Your text the other day just threw me for a loop! Let me know when you're free and I'll help you do the install.

5. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM
    raycie

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    Yea.. was laying there Sat and see that my lights were delivered. Then Sunday when I came home, started reading the instructions for the 12v relay. My father came over on Monday to help out with the kids and had him watch as I installed the resistors.. lol..

I'm not a take it easy and do nothing kind of guy. Lol...

6. Aug 6, 2013 at 9:40 PM
    ReddingtonTRD

ReddingtonTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2013 TX Baja, Black 6-speed
    Build: 2013 Tacoma TX Baja Access Cab 6-Speed Manual *denotes stock feature for Baja Exterior/Performance *TX Baja Series Badging (small sticker--no large “Baja”), Red TRD badge on tailgate Billet 14” antenna Hitch cap Softopper with interchangeable mesh/solid rear doors, doggie door at cab, and dust bag *TRD Cat-back exhaust DeMello Bolt-On Hybrid Rock Sliders TRD front aluminum skid plate *TRD Gun Metal Gray Beadlock Style Wheels *BFG A/T 265/70/16 LED plates lights (thx CSJumper) Interior/Performance *Toyota HD Flooring throughout cab...entirely weatherproof. No carpeting TRD Quickshifter TRD Shift knob, MOMO knob, *Stock leather knob Uniden Radio/Walkies LED Replacement Bulbs (CS…again) Suspension *Front 3” TRD racing coils *60mm HD Bilstein (TRD custom valved in San Antonio) front shocks. Similar to 9100/9300s w/ bumpstop *Modified bumpstops by TRD in San Antonio *50mm Bilstein (TRD custom valved by TRD in San Antonio) *Tuned 3 leaf + overlo
    Stumbled across your post! Terrific comments and thank you for sharing. Thoughts and prayers for a continued speedy recovery! :)

7. Aug 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM
    huli467

huli467 Turning Octopus

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4
    The world is big...and I want to have a good look at it...before it gets dark - John Muir
    Hang in there braddah and nice to see that you're on your way to recovering.

Aloha!

8. Aug 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    glad to hear you're still kicking

i cant imagine how scary that mustve been

9. Aug 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Glad you are better!! Do be careful with neck adjustments since your nerves run through there

10. Aug 7, 2013 at 2:03 AM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    Glad to here your good now, however some of them things scare me to think do to some of the same issues i have felt, i have had neck problems also...

11. Aug 7, 2013 at 2:09 AM
    ekahi1

ekahi1 CUZ I CAN

Member:
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    97 xcab sas baja front
    Dana 44 SAS,locker,4:88s,6" lift,16x10 weld mountain crushers, fox shocks.
    I'm glad your doing better...and also happy to see you care enough about your family to get term life insurance. Stories like your is why I'm so passionate about being licenced in life insurance and only selling TERM all others are just RIP OFF'S Remember this saying "bye term and invest the difference": And if any one needs FREE advice about life insurance or financial planing. Hit me up.

12. Aug 7, 2013 at 4:06 AM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    Glad to hear your OK now Neil. some pretty scary stuff. being as you're only 37, I have to ask, what do you believe could have caused the stroke? just the adjustments? and good point about the life insurance, having a family, it really is necessary.

Great of you to offer this info. years ago, when I learned of the various type of life insurance, I purchased term insurance policies for both myself and the wife, later adding secondary term policies after we had kids and our income increased. and for anyone interested, be aware that term policy costs increase as one ages so it's best to get them when relatively young, though policies are available for substantial periods of time ( I have 30-year policies amongst others, which were also less costly than my employers optional life insurance ).

13. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    raycie

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$

14. Aug 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    NC
    Vehicle:
    10 taco
    Prayers for a quick and full recovery

15. Aug 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    ekahi1

ekahi1 CUZ I CAN

Member:
    Hilo Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    97 xcab sas baja front
    Dana 44 SAS,locker,4:88s,6" lift,16x10 weld mountain crushers, fox shocks.
    I'm glad your doing better...and also happy to see you care enough about your family to get term life insurance. Stories like your is why I'm so passionate about being licenced in life insurance and only selling TERM all others are just RIP OFF'S Remember this saying "bye term and invest the difference": And if any one needs FREE advice about life insurance or financial planing. Hit me up.

16. Aug 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    Holy Crap! Neil, I'm glad you are ok. Hope you feel better asap!

-Conor

17. Aug 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    Vigo

Vigo WFO

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    On a rock in the pacific
    Vehicle:
    '12 4 door
    stuff...
    That's crazy, glad you made it ok. Wish you a speedy recovery.

18. Aug 10, 2013 at 12:03 AM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Wow, just goes to show how precious life really is. Thanks for sharing your story with us, definitely got me thinking.

Products Discussed in

To Top