LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Game Changer

Old 08-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
raycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud of

Name: Neil
raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Game Changer

Just an FYI and eye opener for all my Tacoma brothers..

Last Friday (4 days after turning 37), I woke up at 3:30 in the morning with a bad headache. The dog was barking so I got up to let her out. I could not walk straight at all. My son (4) for some reason got up and told me that he had wet the bed. When I tried talking to him, I found it weird that my voice was weak, and it had gone 2-3 octaves higher. My left-side lips and face were also numb and tingling.

Knowing some of the signs of a stroke, I turned on the light, smiled in the mirror, raised my arms, and said my ABCs. (all things I could do). I went back to lay down, but knew deep that something was wrong. Called a neighbor to watch the kids, and told my wife she needed to bring me down to the ER.

Even the ER nurse and the Dr. didn't think I was having/had a stroke because all of the "common" stroke symptoms (sagging smile, speech, etc) were not present. Sent me in for an MRI that confirmed that yes, I had suffered a minor stroke. Spent a couple nights at Pali Momi and was released Sunday. Not fully 100%, and don't feel like I should be driving yet, but getting better. Neuro says I should make a full recovery. I know that I was very fortunate and blessed that it was not as bad as it could have been.

I am VERY glad that I had life insurance (even a 30-year term policy). I was actually undergoing an increase to my current policy, but possibly that is now in jeopardy. I read that a stoke may make you non-insurable. Neurologist has classified it as a Vertebral Artery Dissection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebr...ery_dissection Kinda crazy that this is often the case of head/neck trauma, accidents, and unfortunately (in my case) possible chiropractic adjustments. (this is not a slam on my Chiropractor who I do like a lot - but maybe just a "be careful" with neck adjustments).

Case and point and moral to the story..
-Have fun, enjoy, love, live pono (for me Godly), and make the most of the one life that we do have.
-Know the signs for different things (i.e. stroke, heart attack) cause you never know if you may need to know it for you or someone you love.
-No matter, make sure you plan in advance for your family. (If I didn't already have life insurance, I would have failed as a husband and a father to provide for my family if I were to ever die early, cause I may now be uninsurable). I feel even if you are anywhere in your late 20s/30s and not married/kids, but plan/want to have them one day, go get some (even a little) now..

Funny, a month to even a week before, I was personally changing out my Dakar leafs, adding in my top plate spacer, changing out a steering knuckle/spindle, and stressing over my recon appointment..
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, glad you made it and good luck on a full recovery.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
Wow, glad you made it and good luck on a full recovery.
x2, scary stuff! Glad you're going to be alright
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Shooter808 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mel
Shooter808's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear you are going to make a full recovery. Your text the other day just threw me for a loop! Let me know when you're free and I'll help you do the install.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
raycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud ofraycie has much to be proud of

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter808 View Post
Glad to hear you are going to make a full recovery. Your text the other day just threw me for a loop! Let me know when you're free and I'll help you do the install.
Yea.. was laying there Sat and see that my lights were delivered. Then Sunday when I came home, started reading the instructions for the 12v relay. My father came over on Monday to help out with the kids and had him watch as I installed the resistors.. lol..

I'm not a take it easy and do nothing kind of guy. Lol...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
huli467 is on a distinguished road

huli467's Tacoma Gallery
Hang in there braddah and nice to see that you're on your way to recovering.

Aloha!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you are better!! Do be careful with neck adjustments since your nerves run through there
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #11
TacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant futureTacomaG26 has a brilliant future

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to here your good now, however some of them things scare me to think do to some of the same issues i have felt, i have had neck problems also...
Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
CUZ I CAN
ekahi1 is on a distinguished road
Army: ARMT dawg Apache longbows, 101st ABN
ekahi1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad your doing better...and also happy to see you care enough about your family to get term life insurance. Stories like your is why I'm so passionate about being licenced in life insurance and only selling TERM all others are just RIP OFF'S Remember this saying "bye term and invest the difference": And if any one needs FREE advice about life insurance or financial planing. Hit me up.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #13
Reads more than posts
sofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsofiasdad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
sofiasdad11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Just an FYI and eye opener for all my Tacoma brothers..

Last Friday (4 days after turning 37), I woke up at 3:30 in the morning with a bad headache. The dog was barking so I got up to let her out. I could not walk straight at all. My son (4) for some reason got up and told me that he had wet the bed. When I tried talking to him, I found it weird that my voice was weak, and it had gone 2-3 octaves higher. My left-side lips and face were also numb and tingling.

Knowing some of the signs of a stroke, I turned on the light, smiled in the mirror, raised my arms, and said my ABCs. (all things I could do). I went back to lay down, but knew deep that something was wrong. Called a neighbor to watch the kids, and told my wife she needed to bring me down to the ER.

Even the ER nurse and the Dr. didn't think I was having/had a stroke because all of the "common" stroke symptoms (sagging smile, speech, etc) were not present. Sent me in for an MRI that confirmed that yes, I had suffered a minor stroke. Spent a couple nights at Pali Momi and was released Sunday. Not fully 100%, and don't feel like I should be driving yet, but getting better. Neuro says I should make a full recovery. I know that I was very fortunate and blessed that it was not as bad as it could have been.

I am VERY glad that I had life insurance (even a 30-year term policy). I was actually undergoing an increase to my current policy, but possibly that is now in jeopardy. I read that a stoke may make you non-insurable. Neurologist has classified it as a Vertebral Artery Dissection. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertebr...ery_dissection Kinda crazy that this is often the case of head/neck trauma, accidents, and unfortunately (in my case) possible chiropractic adjustments. (this is not a slam on my Chiropractor who I do like a lot - but maybe just a "be careful" with neck adjustments).

Case and point and moral to the story..
-Have fun, enjoy, love, live pono (for me Godly), and make the most of the one life that we do have.
-Know the signs for different things (i.e. stroke, heart attack) cause you never know if you may need to know it for you or someone you love.
-No matter, make sure you plan in advance for your family. (If I didn't already have life insurance, I would have failed as a husband and a father to provide for my family if I were to ever die early, cause I may now be uninsurable). I feel even if you are anywhere in your late 20s/30s and not married/kids, but plan/want to have them one day, go get some (even a little) now..

Funny, a month to even a week before, I was personally changing out my Dakar leafs, adding in my top plate spacer, changing out a steering knuckle/spindle, and stressing over my recon appointment..
Glad to hear your OK now Neil. some pretty scary stuff. being as you're only 37, I have to ask, what do you believe could have caused the stroke? just the adjustments? and good point about the life insurance, having a family, it really is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekahi1 View Post
I'm glad your doing better...and also happy to see you care enough about your family to get term life insurance. Stories like your is why I'm so passionate about being licenced in life insurance and only selling TERM all others are just RIP OFF'S Remember this saying "bye term and invest the difference": And if any one needs FREE advice about life insurance or financial planing. Hit me up.
Great of you to offer this info. years ago, when I learned of the various type of life insurance, I purchased term insurance policies for both myself and the wife, later adding secondary term policies after we had kids and our income increased. and for anyone interested, be aware that term policy costs increase as one ages so it's best to get them when relatively young, though policies are available for substantial periods of time ( I have 30-year policies amongst others, which were also less costly than my employers optional life insurance ).
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #14

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=sofiasdad11;7264366]Glad to hear your OK now Neil. some pretty scary stuff. being as you're only 37, I have to ask, what do you believe could have caused the stroke? just the adjustments? and good point about the life insurance, having a family, it really is necessary.

Unfortunately yes, the adjustments are the most likely cause of this for me. I did go every once in awhile to the chiropractor (slept wrong, hip needing adjustment, etc). Putting together all the pieces it just so happens that I did a 3-4 session stint that started very early July. Looking back, after the first one, I started having very slight dizzy spells and neck pain, which had me going back to the chiropractor for more adjustments.

Sadly my diagnosis has a bunch of documented occurrences with neck manipulations. Other than that, a bit of hypertension (being treated) that is said not high enough to cause a stroke, and thankfully my cholesterol is awesome.

Just the roll of the dice on this one..
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
U know fish can hear u thinking just b4 u sneeze
Skinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shedSkinny Rogers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lance
Skinny Rogers's Tacoma Gallery
Prayers for a quick and full recovery
Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
CUZ I CAN
ekahi1 is on a distinguished road
Army: ARMT dawg Apache longbows, 101st ABN
ekahi1's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
StickerHI.Com Dude
CBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conor
CBoy808's Tacoma Gallery
Holy Crap! Neil, I'm glad you are ok. Hope you feel better asap!

-Conor
Old 08-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is a splendid one to beholdVigo is a splendid one to beholdVigo is a splendid one to beholdVigo is a splendid one to beholdVigo is a splendid one to beholdVigo is a splendid one to beholdVigo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
That's crazy, glad you made it ok. Wish you a speedy recovery.