Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

New Safety Check!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:58 AM   #41
!@$%#
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
Not a fan of government interference such as safety inspections, but this afternoon as I was sitting at the drive through there was a lifted (4"-5") Chevy in front of me, tiny, bald tires underneath it. He had to shut it down to place his order (loud diesel). When it idled you could taste the diesel in the air. When he got it going it pulled a black cloud behind it. It's guys like this that cause inspection laws.
Thanks Nimrods!
Old 10-28-2013, 02:35 AM   #42
808DAKINE is on a distinguished road

Name: Kai
808DAKINE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky73 View Post
No, you can have minor modifications and pass safety. If you change suspension or have oversized tires along with a few other mods, you have to get a separate one-time "recon" inspection. After that recon, you can pass safety every year as long as your mods match those listed on your recon form.

From what I've read, recon is really only enforced on Oahu. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #43
My Toys.....
TRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to allTRDGRL is a name known to all

Name: TRDGRL
TRDGRL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DAKINE View Post
From what I've read, recon is really only enforced on Oahu. I could be wrong though.
True
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #44
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah Maui don't have recon but I'm sure we just a few years behind Oahu like others and I have said before there should be an "insured" sticker that the insurance company has to send to you with your proof and the state can charge them for the stickers not recon if anything they should sit down and really think of a good system that doesn't pin point the people who enjoy to drive what they worked hard for come on now a brand new hybrid could be an unsafe car just depends who's driving it
Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #45
CaptQuinn is on a distinguished road

Name: Quinn
CaptQuinn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by souljah96786 View Post
Just got the truck last week brand new so really nothing to be done to it til i get the lift installed..No knowledge of the topic before i left for deployment.. only finding out about the new standards now.. Throwing some flares on should suffice though.. What you mean to late to play that card? What card am I trying to play? I joined this forum for helpful information and ideas not for people to be fucking assholes.
He wasn't being an asshole, he was being humorous. It was funny, to many of us. If it wasn't funny to you, well, that sucks.

If I remember correctly, to sign up for this forum you must aggree to not be a jerkoff (obviously that's not verbatim). Most of us adhere to that policy and when we get off on the weeds we get called out for it. So this is me, calling you out. Knock it off, there is no need to act like that here.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #46
deog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud ofdeog has much to be proud of
Name: snicklefritz
deog's Tacoma Gallery
For us mainlanders, what is recon ? In the safety inspection do they look for modded cars or just stuff like turn signals, horn, no cracks i windshield, seat belts etc. is there a smog check in Hawaii ?
aloha
Old 10-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #47
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
recon=reconstruction

Lift, front and rear all pro bumpers etc.

I don't think we do smog testing. I'm pretty sure that's what the annual safety check is for.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #48
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
The only type of smog check that is performed in Hawaii is when the inspector checks your gauges and observes a check engine light or a warning light of some sort pertaining to it. Inspecting the exhaust for leaks or disconnected items is also part of the inspection too, but rarely done. The inspections itself is suppose to be more complex, and agreeing with one of the testifiers, it would take an hours worth of work to inspect the vehicle, which most shops charge $80+ an hour for shop time. Most safety inspections take 15 minutes at the minimum.

Im one of those guys who like the r/c truck look and have done it in the past. To me, function is over form. Id rather just get to where im going and doing it with the least breakage. Sure, one day ima be beach cruising with my 44s, but for my tacoma I really wanna keep it 35s/37s but keep a low center of gravity. If I ever straight fronted my taco I would never keep it 6 lug and it would be full width. At that point even then it would be hard to keep it low key. We live in a place where we shouldnt need to worry so much. Most people I know worry about the law, cause when that shit adds up it puts you into debt and you have little options that will make your mind go crazy and make you do things you normally wouldnt do.

A few years ago, we had a conversation about modified vehicles and if reconevery came to this island. If bumper height ever became a problem, we could overweigh the vehicle over the 10k gvw, pay a higher registration price, and not worry about safety checks. I think a special use permit could also be done if you just wanted to bring your truck out for parades, but im not sure.
I know this isnt gonna stop me from running what I want, its just gonna make me go broke!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #49
2 is 1, 1 is none.
StaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to behold

Army: HIARNG
Name: Mitch
StaticTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep8OH8 View Post
So I guess the new safety check is out and being enforced! They took a pic of my taco, a pic of my information and had to go through all these new Hawaii safety check stuff. Pretty legit, the safety is printed right there with your vin, license plate and other stuff so people can't just steal em. Lucky thing my truck is legal! Ha

Think you can get an overall measurement of the new sticker? I like make a plate for it and a recon sticker. Thanks!