Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Hawai'i Octane Ratings

Old 11-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
HawaiiTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Hawai'i Octane Ratings

How's it TacomaWorld,

I just watched the KHON2 news and this story came up:

http://www.khon2.com/news/always-inv...g-octane-games

Basically there are are some saying our actual octane ratings are well below the posted minimums. For now who really know whether or not it's true, but if it turns out we are in fact getting shorted at the pump I'll be pissed
I personally have used 92 octane the entire life of my truck and I'm okay paying the extra for it. We have the nations highest gas prices (for obvious reasons) and hopefully are getting what the state says is higher than minimum. I think one report said the 92 was almost at 96.

Anyways I just wanted to share.

Aloha
Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
geev um!
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks, I thought all the pumps were inspected for metering the flow, but didn't think the octane ratings would be that far off!
Personally I just use 87. Unless you have forced induction, it doesn't make any sense to pay for 91. Lower octane rating will make more power, use higher octane only if knocking or pinging are present. Unless timing is adjusted to take advantage of the higher octane, doesn't make any more power, so I don't see how mileage would be a factor either.

On a side note, George Nitta... Anyone else remember when he ran for governor? This was back in the 90's. Bulaia had more votes than he did! His name was still on the ballot even though he had to pull out of the governor's race. I believe he was under the age of 25 at the time.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
geev um!
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Just thought about something, maybe the octane ratings were correct. Then they added the ethanol...
Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
Sticker Making Dude
CBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: C
CBoy808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Just thought about something, maybe the octane ratings were correct. Then they added the ethanol...
funny how ALL of them came out to the same 87 tho?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
geev um!

Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
I stand corrected, I looked it up. E10, the 10% ethanol blend we get at the pump in Hawaii, is supposed to raise the gasoline's octane rating 2-3 points when added. So I guess we are all just getting screwed, ahaha.