Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Roof/Surf Rack on 'Oahu

Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
Airframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Maintenance Chief P-3 Navy
Name: Kekoa
Airframes Chief's Tacoma Gallery
Roof/Surf Rack on 'Oahu

Aloha fellow TW users! I just bought my wife a 11'6" Stand Up Paddle board and need to pick up the board from the NEX and unfortunately they don't sell any type of racks, so leading up to my question for all you guys/gals, braddahs/sistahs:

Who sells surf racks?

How much?

Which brand/style works best for those of you that already carry boards?

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated. Mahalo!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Airframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirframes Chief is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Also if any of you guys are trying to get rid of your surf racks that's in decent shape, no shame let me know I like to recycle! LOL, Mahalo.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Go Thule.... Either on the cab, or since it is an 11'6", one cab and one bed. Don't go cheap on quality racks especially braise if you ever want to take the board out northshore or waianae, you don't want that thing flying off. .. Think in the vicinity of $5-6 bills.. If you just need to get it home, let me know. I would be happy to lend you a hand. Good excuse to go to teddys on your side.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Go Thule.... Either on the cab, or since it is an 11'6", one cab and one bed. Don't go cheap on quality racks especially braise if you ever want to take the board out northshore or waianae, you don't want that thing flying off. .. Think in the vicinity of $5-6 bills.. If you just need to get it home, let me know. I would be happy to lend you a hand. Good excuse to go to teddys on your side.
Right on! Mahalo Neil! I am about to go to Kailua and check out "Too good Kayaks". One of my good friends told me that they sell surf racks. If I don't get anything within a couple days, I may take you up on the offer. Many thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes, Aloha!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Thanks Neil, but I need one for the roof and one at the end of my bed because the board is so long. I appreciate it though, Aloha!
Old 01-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #8

Just installed Yakima racks yesterday! I picked this set up from Hawaiian Watersports in Kailua for $334. Mahalo for everyone's help, Aloha!
Attached Thumbnails
Roof/Surf Rack on 'Oahu-surf-racks.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #9
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know how it does with the SUP ontop.Looks good!

I have a 10'x34" Starboard SUP and I use my Toyota roof rack and have a basic tailgate pad for my sons custom Kazuma milkman SUP but I had no issues with the Toyota rack yet but gotta be honest with so much plastic and such a big board I was scared the first few times thinking the whole thing would fly off lol
Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Let us know how it does with the SUP ontop.Looks good!

I have a 10'x34" Starboard SUP and I use my Toyota roof rack and have a basic tailgate pad for my sons custom Kazuma milkman SUP but I had no issues with the Toyota rack yet but gotta be honest with so much plastic and such a big board I was scared the first few times thinking the whole thing would fly off lol
I fill you in when I use um to go get the board and after couple runs up and down the H-3. That should be the test, especially when I get out of the tunnel. The board going be hanging off 3 1/2' from the front rack and little bit more than 3 1/2' off the back but that's the furthest apart that I could get the racks. If the board no fly off doing 60, den we in business! Aloha my braddah!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Here's an old pic but same board and toyota rack
Da truck is lookin good Hawaiian!
Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #14

My wife's SUP on the racks! Highly recommend the Yakima racks for anyone that is looking to carry their surf/SUP board! Aloha!

Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 AM   #15
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airframes Chief View Post
My wife's SUP on the racks! Highly recommend the Yakima racks for anyone that is looking to carry their surf/SUP board! Aloha!

Looking good! I like the look better then the toyota one but the toyota one acts as a roof slider for branches,parking arms and low clearance signs lol first hand experience.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #16
bearsfan is on a distinguished road
bearsfan's Tacoma Gallery
jus read your posts re: yakima and oem racks... any rust problems @ screws with oem rack?
also heard that Yakima racks not fitting well on 2014 tacos....
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #17

The Yakima racks have been great for my truck. I have not have any issues since I installed them and they are used on a regular basis. As fas as rust is concerned, I have seen others that were 10+ years old and faded with a little rust. Definitely a good buy, Aloha!