1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone ever replace their tailgate before!?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by HiFinest Shiggz, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Jan 3, 2014 at 3:15 AM
    HiFinest Shiggz

HiFinest Shiggz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ikaika
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2013 Metallic Grey AC Tacoma
    Debating whether or not to pay for a replacement tailgate or pay someone to pull the dents out. Long story short there was a scuffle near my truck and now there's 6-8 nice dents in my tailgate. Now I'm looking at either paying couple hundred to have someone pull the dents or couple hundred for a replacement tailgate. Only problem I see with getting a replacement is the camera feature? Thoughts, suggestions, advice!?

2. Jan 3, 2014 at 3:22 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Camera is in the latch isn't it? Move the latch/camera over to other tailgate. Only problem I see is finding one same color as your truck and not having to paint a dent-free one. Scuffle you say? Scuffles usually don't leave dents, musta been a fight or brawl..............probably involving some damn hippy haoles. MG is a popular color so you may luck out finding one the same color. Good luck.

3. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    had to replace mine a few weeks old after someone put a nice vertical dent. Think it was around $1300 for a shop to paint a new one and replace it.

It all comes apart pretty easy so you could probably just have a shop paint a new one and re-assemble it with all of your existing stuff.

You could have a place pop the dents out too, due to the poor strength design, you can access everything after you take the plastic cover off.

4. Jan 3, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    Im on my 3rd one, but its ok i keep finding them used for no more than 200 bucks.

5. Jan 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    make um pay. dents dont come out easy on 05up gates…and like luka said, its easy to dismantle.

ive been looking for a replacement for awhile..but mines gonna get hammered again one way or another

6. Jan 4, 2014 at 3:19 AM
    HiFinest Shiggz

HiFinest Shiggz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ikaika
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2013 Metallic Grey AC Tacoma
    What are some good junk yards I could possibly contact!?

7. Jan 4, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Not sure, but sadly there will be one showing up in a junkyard soon... Saw a tacoma that (somehow) flipped on its side leaving the house up makakilo yesterday. The driver looked ok, but there was an ambulance on scene. Hope everyone is ok. The tacoma obviously was not... altar the whole drivers side.

8. Jan 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    Airframes Chief

Airframes Chief Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kekoa
    Kailua-Kona, HI
    Vehicle:
    Super white TRD 4x4 DCSB
    K&N drop-in filter, AFE performance exhaust, mild sounds by Kicker/Alpine and BedRug. 7.5" lift/18x10 Moto metal black 962/33" Toto M/Ts.
    Ikaika, did you try calling Abe's auto recycling? I have used them before for my old Chevy truck and at the time I saw a lot of newer model cars/trucks on their lot. They also told me about other places that might have what I was looking for since they didn't have one part I needed. There is also one behind Cutter Ford Aiea next to the bike path that some friends of mine used before. Anyways Google "Oahu auto recycling" and plenty junk yards will show up. Good luck my braddah, Aloha!

Products Discussed in

To Top