Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Need some peer input on rims and tires.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
Re-Member
Vanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant future

Name: Brooks
Vanguard's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Vanguard Send a message via Yahoo to Vanguard
Need some peer input on rims and tires.

Ever since running into some of the guys at Sandys I've been obsessed with planning my future mods. My first step is my lift and wheels. I'm currently running my stock tires on 17 inch FJ's and I also have a set of the 16 inch FJ's. From everything I see on here it seems like the 16's are more popular with the guys that actually go wheeling. Not to mention it gives off the illusion of having a bigger overall tire/rim combo. So, since I'm having a hrd time to visualize it I thought I'd put it to a vote to see what everyone else thought. 16's vs 17's and (both will be blacked out) and 285's vs 265's on both rims sizes. Let me know what you guys think. Mahalos for the input!

vs

side by side

Not sure why the last image is showing upside down...?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
kh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Miles
kh7nm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Ever since running into some of the guys at Sandys I've been obsessed with planning my future mods. My first step is my lift and wheels. I'm currently running my stock tires on 17 inch FJ's and I also have a set of the 16 inch FJ's. From everything I see on here it seems like the 16's are more popular with the guys that actually go wheeling. Not to mention it gives off the illusion of having a bigger overall tire/rim combo. So, since I'm having a hrd time to visualize it I thought I'd put it to a vote to see what everyone else thought. 16's vs 17's and (both will be blacked out) and 285's vs 265's on both rims sizes. Let me know what you guys think. Mahalos for the input!

vs

side by side

Not sure why the last image is showing upside down...?
If you get an 3" lift go with 285 75 16. In the picture is the comperasend between stock 265 70 16 to 278 75 16.
Attached Thumbnails
Need some peer input on rims and tires.-image.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
geev um!
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with 16s if you like the wheels. The main reason is that 17" tires are more expensive for the same size.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
Kala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shedKala is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kala's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
I would go with 16s if you like the wheels. The main reason is that 17" tires are more expensive for the same size.
lol yup…16s are cheaper.

on top of more sidewall, you can air down more.

I personally like the stuffed look, so 285/75s. Ive run that size on trd stocks and on 16x8s, with and without wheel spacers, and only after I did the bumpers and lift. I had some rubbing issues while wheeling, where I wouldnt have that problem with 265/75s. There is a difference in gas mileage with 285s. I would say keep the 17s for street use and smaller tires, and bigger more aggressve tread for the off roading…but 265s on both sets would work and look good too.

stuff it
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I like the 6 spoke wheel. Might need wheel spacers if you want to run 285s.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #7
Ahshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAhshiet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ahshiet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kala View Post
lol yup…16s are cheaper.

on top of more sidewall, you can air down more.

I personally like the stuffed look, so 285/75s. Ive run that size on trd stocks and on 16x8s, with and without wheel spacers, and only after I did the bumpers and lift. I had some rubbing issues while wheeling, where I wouldnt have that problem with 265/75s. There is a difference in gas mileage with 285s. I would say keep the 17s for street use and smaller tires, and bigger more aggressve tread for the off roading…but 265s on both sets would work and look good too.

stuff it
I really want bumpers....damn monies....
Old 01-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
Re-Member
Vanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant future

Name: Brooks
Vanguard's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Vanguard Send a message via Yahoo to Vanguard
Thanks guys! So, I'm leanig towards the 16's with 265's right now since from all your feedback it looks like it'll cost me more all the way around to run the 17's with 285's. Gas, cost of tires, additional mods, etc. Then after I need a new set of tires I'll probably make the jump to 285's. Now I just need to figure out what tires to run...?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I love my duratracs, but I have nothing to compare them to. Goodyear Waialae had them in stock. I plan on getting 285s when these wear out. I didn't want to chop up a new truck just to fit 33" tires. Also, most 285s only come in load E which could give a harsher ride than the load C duratracs I have now. My ride is stiff enough as it is.