Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Arb front and rear lockers

Old 03-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
ACE808 is on a distinguished road
Name: DDS
ACE808's Tacoma Gallery
Arb front and rear lockers

Has anyone installed a ARB front and rear locker on a 2nd gen tacoma? Im looking into installing the front arb air locker and compressor kit then later on install the rear locker since it already has a rear elocker. My truck is a 2005 off road 4x4 tacoma. Is their anything else that I need to be aware of before installing them? Truckfest is near so hopefully the price is cheaper. I will most likely have a shop install them. Any input is respected.

My trucks suspension setup consists of:
Bilstiens 5100 shocks all around with toytec coils
Set at 2.5" up front and a 2" toytec aal and front differential drop kit
Tire size is only 265/70/17 duratracs

I also want to keep it as a daily driver also. Thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Since your truck has the factory E-locker you have to swap to a SR5 or TRD sport rear axle to install the rear ARB.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Oh Herro
MikeyTG will become famous soon enoughMikeyTG will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Mike
MikeyTG's Tacoma Gallery
I can't seem to find anything for sure that says you would need to swap to the non TRD Off Road axle to install the rear arb. I do know you would have to drill a hole in it for the air line at the very least. Regardless if you are looking for the strongest possible way to lock front and rear I would think ARB would be the way to go. You would need an on board air set up of course. And correct me if I'm wrong but the locking housing is 8" whereas the non-locking housing is 8.4" (not sure if that means it is any stronger). If your looking to swap the whole axle I would be more than willing to swap my non TRD Off Road axle for yours!

Are you also looking at keeping your stock gearing or going with something else? (would be worthwhile to do everything at once if you are planning on getting different gears down the road at all)

I could be all wrong here, so don't take my word as truth. Maybe someone else with a little more knowledge will chime in. I think Ratha just did his own so he might have some valuable input.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTG View Post
I can't seem to find anything for sure that says you would need to swap to the non TRD Off Road axle to install the rear arb. I do know you would have to drill a hole in it for the air line at the very least. Regardless if you are looking for the strongest possible way to lock front and rear I would think ARB would be the way to go. You would need an on board air set up of course. And correct me if I'm wrong but the locking housing is 8" whereas the non-locking housing is 8.4" (not sure if that means it is any stronger). If your looking to swap the whole axle I would be more than willing to swap my non TRD Off Road axle for yours!

Are you also looking at keeping your stock gearing or going with something else? (would be worthwhile to do everything at once if you are planning on getting different gears down the road at all)

I could be all wrong here, so don't take my word as truth. Maybe someone else with a little more knowledge will chime in. I think Ratha just did his own so he might have some valuable input.
You are correct about the offroad being 8in while the sport is 8.4", some say this does make the sport one a little bit stronger, go figure. I will try to find a link, but I think there are issues with installing an ARB locker in the offroad axle.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
I5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud of
Marines: Sgt, MCBH Mals-24
Name: Ratha
I5runner's Tacoma Gallery
I recently did mines, front and rear lockers with regear. For the front, if you don't want to do the install yourself, I highly recommend at least removing the diff and just taking that to a shop. I was quoted $500 to bring in the front diff for locker install. I ended up doing it myself though. With your truck being a little older, I would recommend regearing if you plan to, and to get new bearings. Check or east coast gear supply. I spent about 3g for all my parts from them.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I have done several installs here. I will say that according to ARB, their locker will NOT work in a factory e-locker rear differential. Besides, With the grey wire mod, there really is no reason to go ARB in the rear. The e-locker is pretty stout.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
Oh Herro
MikeyTG will become famous soon enoughMikeyTG will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Mike
MikeyTG's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely take Bill's word over mine. I hadn't seen anything that was saying the ARB wouldn't work, but if he says it won't, I would go with that. ( he's much smarter than me on this stuff)
Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road
xurusaibobx's Tacoma Gallery
Just Diffs and east coast gears both quoted me around 1800 shipped for full swap in ready 3rd member built with your choice locker and gears new bearings etc. i priced around for 2000 tacoma and shops locally wanted at least 900 for labor gears and diff install. the diff and gears cost around 1300 so i think that might be a better option if you want to do it your self too
Old 03-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
I5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud ofI5runner has much to be proud of
Marines: Sgt, MCBH Mals-24
Name: Ratha
I5runner's Tacoma Gallery