1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rid of Hawaii Recon Now!

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by OneSweet4Runner, May 29, 2014.

1. May 29, 2014 at 1:55 AM
    OneSweet4Runner

OneSweet4Runner [OP] Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    Just a stock runner
    Hello all, is everyone in on this with me? I need help to get rid of the recon law, but I simply can't do it on my own, I'm gonna need EVERYONE'S help.....is everyone with me on this one??

2. May 29, 2014 at 2:07 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    you're giving everyone absolutely no information.

3. May 29, 2014 at 2:32 AM
    TRDeeznutz

TRDeeznutz Smash Da Skinny Pedal

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaleo
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma trd sport
    Trying to get rid of recon is a dead end street bu.

4. May 29, 2014 at 3:52 AM
    STOCKTRD

STOCKTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In Traffic
    Vehicle:
    CustomTacos Mafia!
    Nachos, Lemon Heads, My Truck Is Stock!
  5. May 29, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    You might as well include getting rid of the safety check law. IMHO it'll never happen.

6. May 29, 2014 at 8:07 AM
    OneSweet4Runner

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    Just a stock runner
    Fellas, don't be so negative! Did you guys know that last year four representatives introduced a bill, better know as HB 584 that was to end the recon law? It became a dead law by year ending, but the good news is that it can be reintroduced next year! Email, write, or call any and all of the current representatives/senators and ask them to reintroduce it next year...I've been doing my part, and so far a few of them are going to introduce it. But they're only hearing from me, we need more voices to be heard! Be optimistic, this can happen! Also, join SEMAsan.com and they can also help, they give pointers on how to approach them, and info on how to contact them...

7. May 29, 2014 at 11:36 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Do you have a link to the bill that was killed?? With all due respect (and not trying to be negative), but anything that is "perceived" to make money will never be killed by a Democratic government. Taxes and fees help pay for other things (even though in reality it may loose money).

Case and point for the concealed carry law here.. It has been introduced and re-introduced a number of times, but always get shot down by the current ruling party.

I'll read the law and see what it says, I'll even throw out a couple e-mails, but not sure what kind of good it will do.

8. May 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    kh7nm

kh7nm Stay Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DC 4x4 TX PRO Off Road
    What have you done to your truck lately
    Googled HB 584 and it comes out relating to county zoning 2011-2012.:p

9. May 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    Concealed carry is allowable here, but the Chief of Police is the issuer...and 0 permits have been issued.

10. May 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    1uzrnr

1uzrnr The NotaRC 4runner :D

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    86 Samurai stockish
    Couple
    And 2013-14 is this. http://openstates.org/hi/bills/2013 Regular Session/HB584/

OneSweetRunner, thanks for contacting me and bringing it to my attention. I will be sure to write all of my representatives and pass this on to everyone else I know that is affected by Recon.

11. May 29, 2014 at 8:51 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    So if this were to happen, would we end up falling under special interest vehicles like antiques and VW buggys?

12. May 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    if we did, what would the criteria be?

13. May 30, 2014 at 2:47 AM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    In all honesty, I feel like having recon is better than not having recon...sure they should/could alter the standards, but I feel safer with it around. Hate to see a half-assed built car or truck next to me in traffic cause an accident that could've been prevented with recon around.

14. May 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    I just opened the bill (PDF) and see that there is a bunch of stuff crossed out.. Are they just resubmitting an amended bill? If so, what are the specifics to the bill that is being introduced?

15. May 31, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    OneSweet4Runner

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    Just a stock runner
    Well, I guess the problem is that the rules are always changing. I have a friend who already had recon, but recently went back to update his recon because he did more mods....well in the end where a c-notch had previously passed, now did not pass. But he already had his recon with the c-notch. So now they tagged his truck and can no longer obtain a recon....why are we told how high or how low we are allows to go when in the other states they can do anything their heart desires? And accidents related to modified vehicles? Nope, it's all user errors.....in any case, I've been in contact with a few of them, and they are wiling to reintroduce it...if it is, they say that there will be a hearing for it. And when it does, we are all requested to be there to say our part. It may not be removed, but I say lets try....the more voices that's heard, the stronger we are...

16. Jun 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM
    1uzrnr

1uzrnr The NotaRC 4runner :D

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    86 Samurai stockish
    Couple
    This is my problem with recon and the fact they don't keep up with modification trends. This is why the attorney generals office is writing an amendment to the recon law that takes out the design requirements.

I will be back on Oahu tomorrow night and will be contacting the AG's office to find out the details of the changes and see if I can give any input.

Also, I think the safety check inspectors need more qualifications and given more responsibility. Adding basic items like tire coverage, bumper height (high and low), headlight height, lighting requirements, and other simple items would go a long way for everyone. One inspection from a knowledgeable person is more logical than getting two from two places that morons work.

17. Jun 1, 2014 at 1:22 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    the fact that this has to be pointed out shows how sad the system is

18. Jun 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM
    WailuaTaco808

WailuaTaco808 A.L.O.H.A. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Hawaiian Islands
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD SPORT Kauai Built
    Oh boy...
    all i can say is.... im in

a little bit of effort can go a long way

19. Jun 1, 2014 at 1:51 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    I agree. Last time I went in for a "safety inspection" the cashier girl came out and basically turned on my blinkers, hit the horn and gave me a sticker. This was before the new safety thing where they take pictures tho. But it didn't really make me feel "safe". If they want to keep calling it a safety inspection, they should dig down deep and check shit like brakes and suspension. Get rid of recon and do a real safety inspection that would keep improperly maintained vehicles off the road.

20. Jun 1, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    OneSweet4Runner

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    Just a stock runner
    Yup! And that's my point! You can have two exactly the same vehicles, with the same exact mods, yet one passes the recon with one inspector, and the other doesn't pass with a different inspector...

Anyways, I agree a little effort goes a LONG way! I've been in contact with Senator Michelle Kidani, and she's intereted on reintroducing this bill...her email is mailto:senkidani@capitol.hawaii.gov, contact her, and tell her that you LOVE this hobby, and if she can reintroduce bill HB 584.....we all must do our part...

Products Discussed in

To Top