Notices

Oahu Waikiki vacay

Old 05-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Toy taco
bluesteel731 will become famous soon enough
bluesteel731's Tacoma Gallery
Oahu Waikiki vacay

Hey guys,
so this isn't my first time in Oahu but I'am looking for more than just tourist like eats and tours. I will be with a first timer and 2 others that have been to HNL before but I'm looking for something that stands out. ie: waterfalls and hidden away gems. could someone be ever so kind to point me in the right direction? I will be renting a vehicle if that helps.

so far Alan Wongs and Morimoto are on the resos already but I want the rest to be all happy hour, hole in the wall and triple D's

So far I've been to

Mike's huli huli
Giovannis
Romy's
Kissaten
Matsugen
yardhouse
sway
gyu-kaku
marukame udon
Ono Hawaiian foods
Mikawon

Places next on the list

Lulu's
Mac 24/7
Farmers open market
Pah Ke's
side street inn
Vino
Little village
Doraku
The pig and the lady
Boots and Kimos homestlye kitchen
Nicos at pier 38
rainbow drive Inn
Sweet home Waimanalo
Old 05-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Toy taco
thanks in advance to anyone that chimes in
Old 05-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
TRDeeznutz will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 154 ces
Name: Kaleo
TRDeeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
U here now or planning a trip?
Old 05-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
Sticker Making Dude
CBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: C
CBoy808's Tacoma Gallery
you sure have a lot of good food on that list already!

in town area....
Ichiriki Nabe is great too
Goma Tei ramen Spicy Tan tan is winners

little outside of town.
Alicias Market (Sweet Onion Tako poke and other pokes are great) They also have smoked brisket and roasted pork and many other plate lunches. small little hole in the wall market check this out for sure!

north shore side...

Paala Kai Mini Market for Fried chicken and Musubi then go next door to Paala Kai Bakery and get some snow puffies
Old 06-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
Toy taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDeeznutz View Post
U here now or planning a trip?
planning, will be in town June 23 till June 30
Old 06-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I think Mac 24/7 has gone down in quality since they opened. I am more into the fine dining, so I like places like Hokus, Le Bistro, Alan Wongs and Roys (in that order ) Not too many nice hidden waterfalls here. If you want that, you have to go to Maui or Kauai.
Last time I went up to Waimea falls park on the north shore, there is a big lifeguard tower and they make you wear a life vest to swim in the pond
Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
rka is on a distinguished road
Name: Rylan
rka's Tacoma Gallery
Helena's, Yama's, Gina's, Fresh Catch, Ono's Seafood, Goma Tei, Sushi ii
Old 06-01-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rka View Post
Helena's, Yama's, Gina's, Fresh Catch, Ono's Seafood, Goma Tei, Sushi ii
Another vote for sushi ii. Live baby abalone and salmon collar. My good friend is a waitress there.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #10
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
palace saimin
Old 06-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #11
3boyztaco is on a distinguished road

3boyztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yakiniku Glad on kapahulu. Very reasonable.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:40 AM   #13
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel731 View Post
Hey guys,
so this isn't my first time in Oahu but I'am looking for more than just tourist like eats and tours. I will be with a first timer and 2 others that have been to HNL before but I'm looking for something that stands out. ie: waterfalls and hidden away gems. could someone be ever so kind to point me in the right direction? I will be renting a vehicle if that helps.

so far Alan Wongs and Morimoto are on the resos already but I want the rest to be all happy hour, hole in the wall and triple D's

So far I've been to

Mike's huli huli
Giovannis
Romy's
Kissaten
Matsugen
yardhouse
sway
gyu-kaku
marukame udon
Ono Hawaiian foods
Mikawon

Places next on the list

Lulu's
Mac 24/7
Farmers open market
Pah Ke's
side street inn
Vino
Little village
Doraku
The pig and the lady
Boots and Kimos homestlye kitchen
Nicos at pier 38
rainbow drive Inn
Sweet home Waimanalo
Notable dishes at Alan Wong's are the Opihi Shooters, Sashimi and Avocado Stack, The ginger crusted onaga (snapper), and try the Coconout sorbet for dessert.

Another upscale yet reasonably priced restaurant that you may want to check out it 3660 on the rise. Ahi katsu and The New York alaea are my favorites there.

I see that you've been to Ono's, some other good Hawaiian food can be found at Kapahulu Poi factory, and Helena's on school street.

For a snack, I just found this place, Hawaiian chip company. Its located in an industrial area of Kalihi on Republican st. You can get taro and sweet potato chips, cooked while you wait. They're awesome when fresh and still hot! I'd go to a liquor store and get some beers first!

What area will you be staying in? edit, just read the title..
Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #14
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
7 days give or take some jet lag.. you have a bunch already on your list..

Haven't been to Mitch's in a while, but last time i was there, win.
It kinda all depends on what you want. Boots and Kimo's (iMHO) has gone down in portions and everything since they became a huge tourist trap.. I've seen busses stop right there to let out ppl. Back in the day, that place was awesome portions and good to go..
If you head out to the leeward side, no one has had anything bad to say (other than the wait) at the kapolei sushi bay. The owner was an owner at kuru kuru, portions are good and prices are even better. I have yet to try Le bistro, but I plan on it soon.
A good favorite is hiroshi's in restaurant row.. The seafood is great. And for seafood or any other food, can't beat nicos or even uncles..
Old 06-02-2014, 02:17 AM   #16
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
7 days give or take some jet lag.. you have a bunch already on your list..

Haven't been to Mitch's in a while, but last time i was there, win.
It kinda all depends on what you want. Boots and Kimo's (iMHO) has gone down in portions and everything since they became a huge tourist trap.. I've seen busses stop right there to let out ppl. Back in the day, that place was awesome portions and good to go..
If you head out to the leeward side, no one has had anything bad to say (other than the wait) at the kapolei sushi bay. The owner was an owner at kuru kuru, portions are good and prices are even better. I have yet to try Le bistro, but I plan on it soon.
A good favorite is hiroshi's in restaurant row.. The seafood is great. And for seafood or any other food, can't beat nicos or even uncles..
LeBistro is my wife's favorite restaurant. She always gets the beef quartet and I like the colorado rack of lamb when they have it as a special. Very good service, and we have never left disappointed. We just had our wedding reception there, no complaints except for the corkage fee we paid for all the champagne we brought. Definitely worth checking out.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
Toy taco
Wow thanks for the great feedback guys,
sorry for the late reply, been super busy with work, truck mods and home life.

skydiving and shark cage diving is also on the list as well,
I skydived with pacific last time i was there in Sept 2013
I've forgotten which company did the cage dive but will be looking for recommendations, will keep everyone posted as to what direction I'll be going.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #18

That is two things I have never done. But on quite a few dive sessions we had a shark or two around us. 8ft tiger off Waikiki beach. Was probably 6' but it looked massive to me
Old 06-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #19
Toy taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
That is two things I have never done. But on quite a few dive sessions we had a shark or two around us. 8ft tiger off Waikiki beach. Was probably 6' but it looked massive to me
tigers and great whites are something I'd like to see though I know tigers are alot more common than whites in your waters.

anybody is more than welcome to come join for either event.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #20
soljah111 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jon
soljah111's Tacoma Gallery
Side street inn is always good, Helena's is rediculous, I like buffets for variety so Tsukiji is good, nothing beats a late night zippys run, Giovanni's for garlic shrimp, ka'ena point hike is awesome