1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oahu Lift: Home install or pay a garage?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by SmackGoneWild, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    SmackGoneWild

SmackGoneWild [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    14 LB TRD
    workin' on it.
    I am no mechanic, but I have decided I want Bilstein 5100s in the front, diff drop, and AAL (brand? not sure) in the back.

Perfect world I would add 1.5 in the back, and level the front to it.

Other than the 3 items listed, what else do I need?
    Is there some kit that has all that for a decent price online? Or is my best bet to go through 4wheelparts or mauioffroad?

Mauioffroad quoted me 1150 with above items installed, not sure if that included alignment.

2. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM
    G8keepr

G8keepr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    No need for diff drop. Work can be done by you with helpful tips on this site!

3. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    SmackGoneWild

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    14 LB TRD
    workin' on it.
    Work does seem possible from research and some help on the forums here, but I feel the reading I have done is still pretty vague. Like I said, other than..
    Bilsten 5100s
    Diff Drop
    AAL (1.5?)

is there anything else I need? Can I literally just buy those 3 off Amazon or whatever is cheapest, and install at home after I watch a few videos or find a link on here?

I would love to do the work myself, but man, its a brand new truck haha. I am not taking any chances if I don't feel comfortable.

I would prefer to go that route and then bring it in to a shop for an alignment, and take some knowledge away from the day,

4. Jun 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    TRDeeznutz

TRDeeznutz Smash Da Skinny Pedal

Member:
    First Name:
    Kaleo
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma trd sport
    Easy install. All can be done in a couple hours.

5. Jun 14, 2014 at 7:40 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    yup, 99% you won't need a diff drop. if re-using the stock springs, a spring compressor from Sears(craftsmen) will work just fine.

6. Jun 14, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    SmackGoneWild

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    14 LB TRD
    workin' on it.
    Not to sound ungrateful, but this is what I mean. This post and most like it that I have read seem to be mostly full of people saying the install is easy, and if you do/don't need something without an explanation. I'm looking for the meat n' potatoes folks.
    I'll try to make this simple, if I have just missed a post im sorry, and a simple link will do.

Bilstein 5100s ...Amazon shows a handful of different model numbers, obviously 2 of each, anybody have the model # on hand and if I need anything with them

Diff Drop ... some say I need some say I don't. Can someone explain why I wouldn't want it? And in case I do decide to install it, online shop to get a kit or w/e required?

AAL - as for the brand I can't say I have seen any heavy positive customer reviews for one over another, so I am up for opinions here. I have been told that a 1.5 AAL with the bilstein will give the truck 2.5-3" in the front and 1" in the back, aka leveling the truck or a very very slight forward rake. Opinions on brand? And once again if I get an AAL "kit" I guess you'd call it, do I need anything with or specific tools for the install job?

Assuming I install this myself this month, have I left anything out? And the biggest question would be who has the easiest guide / video to follow to ease the installation. I am not dull by any means, but I will be doing this alone and for the first time, so the fact that I want to do this on a brand new truck makes me wanna build a little confidence first ya know?

Thanks in advance, you guys are all cool by me in the short time I have roamed these forums. Now give me some information so I can post a ton of pics and act like I needed no assistance all along.

-Smack

7. Jun 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    LogCabins

LogCabins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 3.4L 4WD
    Well I would love to give you the specific info you are looking for but I have a 1st Gen Tacoma (years 95-04), but I can answer the diff drop question, if you have a 2wd you are NOT going to need it, 4wd I say get it and the reason for the Diff drop is to decrease the angle go the cv axles which you want have in a 2wd....as for what parts to get, go to the toytec website and it will have all the parts and from multiple lift systems so you can shop and compare. As for the install no "special" tools are needed but like I said I have a 1999 and that could not be the same for your 2014

8. Jun 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    SmackGoneWild

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    14 LB TRD
    workin' on it.
  9. Jun 15, 2014 at 12:48 AM
    LogCabins

LogCabins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 3.4L 4WD
    If your only lifting for convenience ( fit larger tires.....etc) just go with a cheap spacer lift and maintain your stock suspension, but if you plan to go offroad at all at some point then 900, is actually not bad at all, especially for an adjustable coilover

10. Jun 15, 2014 at 1:50 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    the diff drop is only somewhat acceptable if you don't offroad. it does help with cv angles from lifts at the cost of exposing the diff housing to rocks....so if you don't account for additional protection and ground clearance, those worthless spacers will cost you a shit load of money.

I did a write-up to install the front suspension and rear shocks here, there are other write-ups for the aal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkVLBOnAifc method works just fine for the front.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  11. Jun 15, 2014 at 2:16 AM
    raycie

raycie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Apologies up front for my local attitude and having just come back from a dinner with a bunch of awesome wine..

If you want to do a shop , by all means, go visit, tell them you have a '14 tacoma, tell them what kind of lift you want (spacers vs. suspension) and plop down your CC.

If you want to order yourself, you have a couple of options:

Front:
    -Spacers
    -Just 5100s
    -Springs and 5100s

Rear:
    -Blocks
    -AAL
    -Multi-left AAL
    -Leaf Pack

I think almost everyone would say you don't need a diff drop.. ask anyone why, and you will get a multitude of answers (a lot of which is reflective of the main forum). Ask a bunch of us here if you can DIY, almost all of us will say yes cause you can..
    Ask a bunch of us if we will help, and if you are serious and a good guy, most will come down and lend a hand..
    As far as what to buy and part numbers, do your homework and it's not rocket science.. Get 5100s for a '14, do OME 885s (or 886 if you are getting a bumper, or even go ICON if you ask Rick).

For the rear........ you have a couple more options to consider.. also, you may (depends on who you ask) would go for new U-bolts.. basically it...

I personally have offered a bunch of guys who said they wanted to DIY but have i guess decided it easier to go get a shop to do it. Kinda over offering to help then having guys flake..

DIY front. a bunch have done the LCA method shown by Luka. DIY rear, EASY.. a bunch of DIY threads on the main forum.

12. Jun 15, 2014 at 3:09 AM
    G8keepr

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Why you would not want a diff drop- search - remove the diff drop on your 05+ tacoma.
    I'm not sure how to post a link. I'm sure someone will.

13. Jun 15, 2014 at 4:39 AM
    SmackGoneWild

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Kapolei, HI
    Vehicle:
    14 LB TRD
    workin' on it.
    Luka, that's what I'm talking about, thanks man. Getting a decent visual is all I really need to know what I am getting into.

The AAL does look to be the easier part.

I guess the only further question I have for now is about the 5100s vs 5100s and springs. Is there a noticeable difference there?

14. Jun 15, 2014 at 4:46 AM
    G8keepr

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    I'm not running the 5100 here,but from all the searching I've done I'm going to say new springs are going to make a huge difference. Just depends on how much weight your adding to front of truck then pick the appropriate rated spring. Or just get some icon coilovers- made me happy!

15. Jun 15, 2014 at 4:57 AM
    mortuusangelus

mortuusangelus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Slate Hill, NY
    Vehicle:
    no truck now :(
    Doing the work yourself is actually not that bad. Some will say a couple hours.. but it's more or less up to how fast/slow you want to move when you do the work. Take your time, make sure you keep track of what you remove and all parts that need to go back in.

I speak from experience in that a diff drop doesn't hurt to have (had a 1st Gen Taco), even with only a couple inches lift in the front. Eases the CV axle angles, which translates to less chance of a torn boot or binding when flexed. I'm not sure on the 2nd gens, but when I jacked my Taco up (think the front was about 2.5") I found I needed to get new upper control arms so that I could get my alignment correct, the OEM UCAs just didn't allow the shop to align the truck right.

Also, AALs will work fine if your just looking to get a bit more lift and your truck's springs are new and not sagging. But if you want a load capable truck and still get the most flex from it.. consider a full leaf pack install along with the rear shocks.. IMHO it's worth the money if you plan on offroading, but still want to haul stuff. I think total time between getting the front & rear done on my Taco at the time, with the help of a friend or two (thanks to New York road salt & rust) to break bolts free or cut the... probably about 10-12 hours in a complete suspension lift. That included new 650 lb. front coilovers w/ Bilsteins.. new LR UCAs, new lower ball joints (passenger side on my truck was damaged from icy road accident), diff drop, new rear leaf packs & shocks. I took my time.. cursed a lot at rusty bolts and bruised knuckles, but in the end I learned a lot and felt awesomely proud that I had given my Taco a new lease on life and the ability to crawl over some decently ugly terrain without destroying it's belly.

I recommend a few beers for after the work is complete... and a camera to take pictures. :D

16. Jun 15, 2014 at 5:05 AM
    G8keepr

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    ^^^ he is correct that you would want a diff drop on a 1st gen, not on your new truck though. Lifted my truck just about 3" and cv joints are looking fine.

17. Jun 15, 2014 at 8:05 AM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    If you look in the suspension and lifts section, there are about 15 stickies on suspension and lifts. Some are very detailed how tos with great pics. Even if the DIY is for a different lift than you are planning on buying, its all pretty much the same, and you will get a general idea on what you are in for.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/

18. Jun 15, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    lemon177

lemon177 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 sport pyrite mica
    TRD supercharger, URD 2.85" stealth pulley, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, DTLT headers, URD y-pipe, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM100 touch with OBDII and SM-AFR modules, 885 OME 3", Icon UCAs, Satoshi grill, Solid rear window, SCS stealth 6, 285/75/17 toyo AT2.
    Or you could put the 885 springs on your stock shocks for the front, run an AAL to the rear, and you got a decent lift for about 300 plus shipping

19. Jun 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    to level the truck with an aal, you'll probably need to set the 5100s at the second notch up from the bottom with stock springs. the ride will get a little stiffer and you will feel the imperfections in the road much more.

you can probably get away without changing out the rear shocks, but more upgrade.

you need to have a desired end result first for any of us to give any input of what combination would work with part cost.

20. Jun 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM
    Koootch

Koootch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner
    Maxtrac Spindles, Bilstien 5100s @.85, OME Dakar, Fuel trophies w/ BFG AT KO 285/70/17
    Ill be adjusting my 5100's sometime this month or next if you wanted to watch and see how its done. As far as buying from Amazon, i tried that but they wouldn't ship it.

Products Discussed in

To Top