Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

2nd Gen Lift Question From A New Guy

Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
cubiclesurfer is on a distinguished road
Name: Sheldon
cubiclesurfer's Tacoma Gallery
2nd Gen Lift Question From A New Guy

howzit everyone, I'm new here, so please go easy if this has been covered a million times.

I recently picked up a 2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB. I'm looking to put on a decent lift without going full adjustable coilovers. I wanted to go up maybe 2.5", but no more than 3" since I'd be using my stock UCA's until I can buy some better ones. I can get the parts together through a friend, and this is what we're thinking about so far:

Front - approx. 2.5" lift:
- Bilstein 5100 (adjustable)
- OME 884
- Toytec 1/4" top plate spacer (correct driver side lean)

Rear - approx. 2" lift:
- Bilstein 5100 Extended (part #: F4-BE5-B110-T5)
- Toytec/Deaver AAL (part #: D10045K73, Toytec lists it as "TAC-AL")

He's going to assemble the front suspension prior to shipping it to Oahu. So, based on the parts listed above, I have a couple questions. Based on my rear setup, should I:
- Run the front Bilstein's at 0 with OME 884's?
- Run the front Bilstein's at 0.85" (one setting up) with OME 884's? Will that stiffen up the ride too much?
- Are 885's with the front Bilstein's at 0 too much for me (no armor/winch/added front weight)?
- Have you guys experienced the driver's side lean? Trying to figure out if the top plate spacer is really necessary. I want to assemble the front suspension right the first time since any change will probably need a realignment

I talked to fellow TW member bullaculla, and he was able to confirm that a diff drop isn't needed on the 2nd gens, so I was able to strike that off my list. woo hoo!

I know this is not really a cut and dry answer, but any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!! I hope to meet you guys and eventually get my truck out to one of the TW meetups.

mahalos...
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
884's at .85 setting might be enough, or 885's on the bottom setting.

those rear bilstein shocks are for a 4" lift and if you use them, you will have to raise your bump stop so you don't blow them out on compression.

I had a bit of driver side lean, and the best way to figure out what you need is to install everything and cycle the suspension and measure, then add spacers = half of the lift desired. 1/4" top plate spacer will lift ~ 1/2"
Old 07-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
884's at .85 setting might be enough, or 885's on the bottom setting.

those rear bilstein shocks are for a 4" lift and if you use them, you will have to raise your bump stop so you don't blow them out on compression.

I had a bit of driver side lean, and the best way to figure out what you need is to install everything and cycle the suspension and measure, then add spacers = half of the lift desired. 1/4" top plate spacer will lift ~ 1/2"
I sent you a PM, but I should've kept the info here for future reference.

What would be needed if I kept those extended 5100's with only an AAL? Extended bumpstops, extended brake lines, etc? If I never go higher than 2" lift in the rear, should I stick to the standard 5100's?

The only reason we tentatively decided on extended 5100's was to keep my options open for a bigger rear lift if I decide to do it.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
808leo is a jewel in the rough808leo is a jewel in the rough808leo is a jewel in the rough

808leo's Tacoma Gallery
The 885 on bottom notch got me 2.5" and if you want to go tad higher can always throw on the small spacer.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808leo View Post
The 885 on bottom notch got me 2.5" and if you want to go tad higher can always throw on the small spacer.
right on, good info! I've been finding that you should run OME's on 0, so maybe 885's are the better route, especially for double cabs?

are you running standard length 5100's in the rear and what AAL do you have? The AAL I listed in my original post is supposed to provide 1.5"-2" of lift too. just trying to sort some of this out before I put in my order. thanks!!
Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiclesurfer View Post
I sent you a PM, but I should've kept the info here for future reference.

What would be needed if I kept those extended 5100's with only an AAL? Extended bumpstops, extended brake lines, etc? If I never go higher than 2" lift in the rear, should I stick to the standard 5100's?

The only reason we tentatively decided on extended 5100's was to keep my options open for a bigger rear lift if I decide to do it.
yup, extend/lift the bump stop so it hits the bump before the shock compresses to the collapsed length. think its 16.75

there is another rear 5100 for 1-2" lift, I had those before getting the b110.

extended brake-lines are if you plan on drooping the rear...don't think the oem leafs droop enough to need it.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
808leo is a jewel in the rough808leo is a jewel in the rough808leo is a jewel in the rough

808leo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
right on, good info! I've been finding that you should run OME's on 0, so maybe 885's are the better route, especially for double cabs?

are you running standard length 5100's in the rear and what AAL do you have? The AAL I listed in my original post is supposed to provide 1.5"-2" of lift too. just trying to sort some of this out before I put in my order. thanks!!
I got stock rear shocks on actually. I have the 2" AAL from toytec and that's exactly the amount of lift I got. I have slight rake but I like it.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
884s on a DCLB gave me about 2.25". I have since added the top plate for the full 3".
Remember that an AAL will sag over time depending how often you carry loads or not. Many have done the 3 leaf AAL.. those who do it right go full Dakar (j/k for all you non-Dakar guys...lol)

Seach the oahu thread.. Kaleo has an AAL and/or block, recently installed extended 5100s, and did big ass bumpstops...
Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 AM   #9
polekasta is on a distinguished road
polekasta's Tacoma Gallery
Wow Neil, no mention of timbrens?
Old 07-16-2014, 03:44 AM   #10
TRDeeznutz will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 154 ces
Name: Kaleo
TRDeeznutz's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah its a 1.5" aal an a 1" block. I only got the 4.5" energy bumps to be on da safe side but the actually do help. Ill probly buy wheelers superbumps down da road, after i get da AP expo leaf pack.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by polekasta View Post
Wow Neil, no mention of timbrens?
Lol... yes, quality and full function does come at a price, and many are not willing to pay that price.. lol...

Many don't ever carry heavy loads in their trucks anyway.. and along the same lines, for all the SB guys, not much fits back there in the first place.. lol..
Old 07-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
wth is a junior member?
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the extended brake lines for the rear. My stock leaf pack with add a leaf flexes enough to need them. I am not too sure if the trd sport, with the extra leaf, may flex differently, but you don't want the brake line to act as a limiting strap. This is with the B110s, though. Or you can stick to shorter shocks that still have extended length as mentioned before, there are also the bilstein 5160s to consider.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
ok, thanks for the input, everyone! I've kinda narrowed it down to the following:

Front - :
- Bilstein 5100 (adjustable) - set @ 0
- OME 885
- Toytec 1/4" top plate spacer

Rear - approx. 2" lift:
- Bilstein 5100 (changed to standard length)
- Icon 3-leaf AAL

trying to figure out if I'm gonna end up with rake, and if so, Wheeler's suggested the 10mm top plate to get the front up to approx. 2-3/4". so this leads me to the following questions:

1. if I go up that much more on the front, should I be getting new upper control arms too?

2. Wheeler's lists the 10mm top plate kits in both steel and polyurethane. what are the pros/cons to each one?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 PM   #14
Quote:
ok, thanks for the input, everyone! I've kinda narrowed it down to the following:

Front - :
- Bilstein 5100 (adjustable) - set @ 0
- OME 885
- Toytec 1/4" top plate spacer

Rear - approx. 2" lift:
- Bilstein 5100 (changed to standard length)
- Icon 3-leaf AAL

trying to figure out if I'm gonna end up with rake, and if so, Wheeler's suggested the 10mm top plate to get the front up to approx. 2-3/4". so this leads me to the following questions:

1. if I go up that much more on the front, should I be getting new upper control arms too?

2. Wheeler's lists the 10mm top plate kits in both steel and polyurethane. what are the pros/cons to each one?
I think u get about 2.5" with 885 springs then 1/4" top plate spacer gives u the full 3". An the icons are 1.5"?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDeeznutz View Post
I think u get about 2.5" with 885 springs then 1/4" top plate spacer gives u the full 3". An the icons are 1.5"?
yeah, Icon is supposedly 1.5", but I've heard from a few different sources that are saying closer to 2" on a DCSB. should be good cause I think I going pass on the 10mm kit for the 885's, and just get the 1/4" top plate spacer. now I just gotta order it!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
I guess my last question is, steel or polyurethane 1/4" top plate spacer???
Old 07-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #17
I think mines is aluminum.