Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

4x4 or 4x2 for Hawaii

Old 09-16-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
JPM OEF x3 MP is on a distinguished road
Army: MP Officer
JPM OEF x3 MP's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 or 4x2 for Hawaii

Soooo looks like its time to buy. Moving to Maui soon (wish could do now) and debating whether 4x2 PreRunner or 4x4. Can anyone tell me which is better for the island? Not a hardcore off roader. Looking for something that will get us anywhere we need to go though.

Price seems like couple thousand difference.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
4x4 is always handy, you'll never know when you need it
if you plan on wheeling at all, go for the 4x4 if it's in your budget
Old 09-16-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
808DAKINE is on a distinguished road

Name: Kai
808DAKINE's Tacoma Gallery
If my truck wasn't inherited id have gone 4x4. although I haven't gotten stuck at all with my m/t toyos and locker.

What part of maui? Also Tacoma's seem to be a premium here, so Id defiantly consider buying in AZ or Cali. Stock 1st gens will run you around 10k(15 with a lift) here. 2nd gens would be close to 15-18. 20-30 depending on the lift and year.

Shiping to Kahului from San Diego was a little over $1,000. Jus something fo think about.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:07 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
4x4 is always handy, you'll never know when you need it
if you plan on wheeling at all, go for the 4x4 if it's in your budget

Yeah, we usually do a little exploring while on island. last fun place was checking out Iao Valley.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DAKINE View Post
If my truck wasn't inherited id have gone 4x4. although I haven't gotten stuck at all with my m/t toyos and locker.

What part of maui? Also Tacoma's seem to be a premium here, so Id defiantly consider buying in AZ or Cali. Stock 1st gens will run you around 10k(15 with a lift) here. 2nd gens would be close to 15-18. 20-30 depending on the lift and year.

Shiping to Kahului from San Diego was a little over $1,000. Jus something fo think about.

Yes, I will buy/order and take delivery in AZ. Prices there several thousand cheaper than Hawaii. Funny I think the sales site showed like $50 dollar extra delivery charge.

We have started looking at shipping. Probably ship the truck and wifes car. Not sure if big house move or just buy stuff there. We bought a small place in Kihei. If we make it there a few years would like to move into something/someplace different then.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
if you're buying new in AZ, the free oil change stuff offered from Toyota USA for 2 years won't be usable here....we have Toyota Servco and they offer the same thing, but only usable within the sale area....so when people buy here and PCS out, or buy out and PCS in, they are SOL(with the ~4 free oil changes)

The regular warranty stuff is still good though.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
I always buy 4x4. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Don't be on the list of I should have bought a 4x4.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #8
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357sig View Post
I always buy 4x4. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Don't be on the list of I should have bought a 4x4.
+1

I've gotten my fair share of getting stuck when I was 2wd+rear locker, since converting, Its been smooth
Old 09-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
Yes I keep thinking I dont want to be the guy that says... wish I had bought a 4wd
Old 09-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #13
deeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dana
deeez's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my truck at the dealership I called my mom for some advice regarding 4x4 or prerunner. She told me "what are you crazy! Get the 4x4"
Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #14
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM OEF x3 MP View Post
Not a hardcore off roader. Looking for something that will get us anywhere we need to go though.
Ok I will advocate for the PreRunner since I have one. Best reason for PreRunner is better gas mileage. We get 21mpg, where as most 4x4s get 17-18mpg. With gas on Maui in the $4.30 range it could add up.

But you want to it to "get us anywhere we need to go though" so 4x4 may be you best choice.