1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Cell Phone Carrier???

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by raycie, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Oct 3, 2014 at 1:57 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    Thinking about switching.

Long story short..

-We currently have Sprint and have been for a long time (my number is Nextel).
    -We currently have a Airwave (Viop) connection in our house cause we are on the slope the the mountain and even though there is a tower close, it follows straight line rather than then contour of the mountain.
    -We do go to the mainland every-so-often
    -As of this moment, Sprint kinda sucks.. they are in the middle of getting new towers and the new 4G service (due to be completed end of Oct), but wife and me are getting to our wits end..

What do you have? Any reception problems? Would you stay or switch with what you have now??

BTW: Verizon sucks at/in our house too.. even though I hear they have great coverage..

2. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM
    808leo

808leo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kapolei, Oahu
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 super white dcsb 4wd
    5100 max setting, 285/70/17 ko2, FN 6 shooter, Subaru/kicker tweeters, JBL BassPro sub, nfabs, LED lights exterior/interior.
    I got At&t.. I use to have tmobile but where I go I get better coverage now.

3. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Telus

4. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Tel us what?

I've got Verizon. Used to have US Cellular. USC had better coverage (and better customer service, really), but Verizon was cheaper for the plan I wanted.

5. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Telus Mobility

6. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My husband and I have Verizon. We've had it forever.....

Having cell signal at your home is probably the most important thing regardless of what carrier you want. Each carrier (salesman) will swear that you will have coverage at your home.

I don't know if any of the carriers will do this...but I would highly recommend telling them that you want to take a phone home overnight to see how the signal is at your home. Won't hurt to ask..... Just tell them that you have a special situation and don't want to commit to anything unless you can SEE FOR YOURSELF that you have coverage at your home.

7. Oct 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    cubiclesurfer

cubiclesurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kailua-Kona, HI
    I'm down the hill in Kapolei, and I have T-mobile. LTE service is good, averaging about 25Mbps up and 20Mbps down. plans are pretty cheap too, and if you have your own unlocked phone, you can just get a prepaid plan. never really have reception problems, but data connection might be crappy up in the mountains (but at least you can still call).

I'm from Hilo though, so I'm constantly back there and T-mobile's service sucks shit. no LTE and hardly any 4G. so if you only stay on Oahu and mainland, then T-mobile might be a good/cheaper option.

edit:
    "mountains" as in up Peacock Flats. I've noticed that out at Yokohama, I barely get 3G data, but calls are still good to go.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  8. Oct 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    raycie

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    Mountains as in Camp Timberline is up in my backyard.. I gotta kill some time before I show face at a homecoming game/dinner.. Maybe I'll head down to AT&T to take a look.

9. Oct 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM
    cubiclesurfer

cubiclesurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kailua-Kona, HI
    i'll try drive up to the top of Makakilo and see how my service and data speed is. let you know what i find :D

10. Oct 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM
    kh7nm

kh7nm Stay Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DC 4x4 TX PRO Off Road
    What have you done to your truck lately
    It's your PV panels blocking out your cell service :rofl:

11. Oct 3, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    n.gardner

n.gardner Spacer Hater

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    OME 3" 887s + Dakars 1" 4 Crawler BL Pro-Comp Uniballs Nitrochargers + Super Bumps Diff Drop + Drive Shaft Drop
    I switched from Verizon to AT&T... I somehow manage to pay more... but the service seems noticeably better, just my $.02

12. Oct 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    faststang90

faststang90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dwayne
    houston
    Vehicle:
    2010 Pre Runner
    I went to boost from Verizon bill went from 120 to 65

13. Oct 4, 2014 at 4:58 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    U.S. Cellular then work pays part of the bill:thumbsup:
    Good thing to, we use our phones extensively at work.

14. Oct 6, 2014 at 1:21 AM
    808DAKINE

808DAKINE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kai
    Lahaina, Hawai'i
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco
    Cold air, Sounds, lift, lights, exhaust and a canoe!
    I have sprint. Sprint sucks ass. Very intermittent service on the west side of Maui and 0 service in Kapalua where I work..

Im getting Verizon but recently discovered that AT&T not only gets the same service as Verizon, but also my buddy was getting 5 bars of 3g up on the north side which no one has service..

15. Oct 6, 2014 at 11:48 PM
    raycie

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    I would cancel. Or tell them that you're going to.. What would happen if you didn't like your iphone and wanted to return it?? They can't tell you that you NEED to keep it..

In other news, we did sign up with AT&T, but not officially till our phones come in. Ordered my wife the iphone 6. Did the Next plan cause it makes sense, as you illustrate above. For mine, I pissed iff they guy when I was first going to do the Next plan for my Note 4, but then changed my mind and bought the thing outright.. Samsung is having a promotion that they will give you a rebate for $200 minus a trade in.. I traded in my wife's old S2 for $15, and will be submitting a rebate for $185. This puts my net cost at a savings of $200 over the course of 2 years as compared to leasing the phone.. And I still get the $25 line credit (based on the 10G data plan).

16. Oct 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM
    raycie

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    If i do your route I only save $100. I'm saving $200 doing my way... plus because we are putting the phones on a "business plan" we are getting $100 per line credit a b d $50 each line for porting from another carrier.

Products Discussed in

To Top