Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Hawaii

Notices

Good Year Duratracs or Toyo Open County M/Ts?

View Poll Results: Good year or Toyos?
Good Year Duratracs 10 38.46%
Toyo Open Country MT 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Poke Squid is on a distinguished road
Poke Squid's Tacoma Gallery
Good Year Duratracs or Toyo Open County M/Ts?

Called 4WP looking for 275/65/18s MT. Only two options were Good Year Duratracs ~ $250 each or Toyo Open Country MTs ~ $320 each. Anyone got any experience with the following? Good or bad? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on your needs! Do you off road in Rocky trails a lot? Do you go kidding? Do you live near snow? I mean it is all subjective to your needs.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't run Toyo M/Ts personally, but I've put 35k miles on a set of Duratracs with my 2004 tacoma and they've been fantastic. Excellent snow traction and relatively quiet on pavement. Wearing well too -- easily have another 20-25k miles left in them.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Poke Squid is on a distinguished road
Poke Squid's Tacoma Gallery
For a daily driver. 80% highway 15% sand 5% dirt/mud. I'm from Hawaii, this truck will never see snow.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed68vert is one of the sharper tools in the shed

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking at running the same size tires and considering the Toyo Open Country AT's in load range C. Interested to hear opinions on other tires in this size as well.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
jimbo808 is on a distinguished road

jimbo808's Tacoma Gallery
goodyear once in a while gets a buy 3 get 1 free deal from what i hear from vanguard. So if you get that one you should wait for the sale.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
northwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednorthwesttaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
northwesttaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have toyo mt's and love them except for snow. E rated so they are incredibly strong, last about 70k miles on my last set. I commute 35+ miles a day in my truck. Highly reccomend, you will have road noise though, duratracs will be quieter but I'd be worried about the sidewall with lava rock.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
adamh1977 is a glorious beacon of lightadamh1977 is a glorious beacon of lightadamh1977 is a glorious beacon of lightadamh1977 is a glorious beacon of lightadamh1977 is a glorious beacon of light

adamh1977's Tacoma Gallery
ive heard that the federal courgeria is also in that size
Old 01-01-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
Spacer Hater
n.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Hooah
Name: Nick
n.gardner's Tacoma Gallery

Better size but still love my dura-tracs
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
TXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of lightTXPRO4X4 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
I voted Toyo even though being in Hawaii you probably won't need them so probably just go with the Dura track. unless you do some crazy rock crawling, but with no rear locker I don't see that happening
Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #11
MightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shedMightyMouse-SCT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Gabriel
MightyMouse-SCT's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't know duratrac was MT
Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #12
Spacer Hater
n.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shedn.gardner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Didn't know duratrac was MT
I'm pretty sure they aren't...
Old 01-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
Re-Member
Vanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant future

Name: Brooks
Vanguard's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Vanguard Send a message via Yahoo to Vanguard
I'd go for the Duratracs. Well...I did actually

Mine is a DD too and the on road manners are excellent considering I only hit the sand once in a while and the rest of the local guys with them do well up in the mountains.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #16
Re-Member
Vanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant futureVanguard has a brilliant future

Name: Brooks
Vanguard's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Vanguard Send a message via Yahoo to Vanguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesttaco View Post
What kind of mileage are you getting with the 285 duratracs?
If I drive like I civilized person about 17.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #17
Spacer Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwesttaco View Post
What kind of mileage are you getting with the 285 duratracs?
I have a heavy foot... so like 16 flat
Old 01-02-2015, 12:03 AM   #19
bzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to beholdbzzr2 is a splendid one to behold
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
no snow, lava rock... toyo's for sure! ppl get great mileage out of them. i recently had to choose between the toyo and the cooper st maxx in the 255 size, only reason i didn't go toyo was the price difference of $65 a tire *5 tires. or even have a look at the cooper st maxx also, nice aggressive all terrain that is also beefier than the duratrac for off road use.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #20
geev um!
Vigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
Vigo's Tacoma Gallery
Duratracs are good for what they are, an aggressive tread All Terrain. But in no way are they comparable to a true MT like the Toyo MT.
Your decision should depend on what you plan on doing with your truck. For highway use, duratracs have more siping and will do better in wet weather driving, and should be a lot lighter than the toyos. That equals better gas mileage. Toyos are known to be heavier, but they are also known to last for a long time as well.
Toyos will definitely have a stronger sidewall too.
Also, the siping in the duratracs make them cut and chunk more when on the rocks.
I'd spend the extra $ for toyos for the peace of mind while off road. But Duratracs that I've had didn't fail even with missing chunks and cuts into the sidewall.

There are lots of other options out there too. Goodyear had MTRs, BFG KO2, General Grabber AT2..