1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Retrofit headlight tips?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Itstrend, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Feb 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    hoenah808

hoenah808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '14 AC sr5 4x4
    Yup try to mark the threads before you unscrew them, also it won't pop out there's a tab on the top somewhere that you gotta pop off...DO NOT MANGLE it tho and when you reassemble make sure you hear it pop on,vibrations will pop it off

2. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    Bpassmore8

Bpassmore8 Brian13DCSB

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport
    Debadged, N-Fab step bars, LED cup holder lights, LED dome and map lights, TRD stickers, HID retrofit (Morimoto Mini H1 6.0, BHLM, HomerTaco ghost raptor grill, OME 885s with 90021 up front, 60091 in the rear with trim spacer
    The screws Ive got now. What about this part? I put a lot of pressure on it pulling and pushing from the back. What's the trick?2029E273-71D7-42E4-8B5F-85BA2BB95BE5_98fe08c6b9944fcbaec3b5af223364b831fe7846.jpg

3. Feb 20, 2015 at 2:47 AM
    hoenah808

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '14 AC sr5 4x4
    On the inside of that black round piece there's a tab that needs to be pushed in. That's the piece that you should try n avoid destroying lol. Use something small like a eyeglass flat head screw driver...I used a regular flat head and it kinda destroyed that part so my reflector has some wiggle in it now

Edit: actually it should have 2 tabs that need to be pushed in

4. Mar 2, 2015 at 9:31 AM
    Buster888

Buster888 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Trail Teams Sport
    Bed mat, Extang Cover, Shorty antenna, Pop'n Lock, Interior and Plate LEDs.
    I know all these are dumb questions to you guys but since I just got my first truck and I don't know ANYTHING about mechanics, etc., so here goes. What is the difference between LED and HID lights? I want to brighten up my headlights and thought I'd just buy the right kind of bulbs. I see them in packages at many stores so I thought you take out the stock bulbs and pop in the new bright bulbs. Everywhere I look in TW people talk about wiring/balasts/and so on. Really confused and feel like a dummy since ya'll seem to be talking way over my head. Can anyone explain in easy terms what I need to know. Thanks for any help.

5. Mar 2, 2015 at 12:23 PM
    hoenah808

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '14 AC sr5 4x4

if your not going to do a projector retrofit dont use hids. your just going to piss ppl off lol...from what ive seen leds in stock housings are the way to go. hids in the stock reflector housings produce some nastyglare to oncoming and cars your behind

6. Mar 2, 2015 at 12:35 PM
    Buster888

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    Does it mean I don't just pop in a bulb? I have to...whatever? :confused: I don't care if it's LED or HID I just want to take out the one that's in there and push in a BRIGHT one. Not possible???

7. Mar 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM
    Vanguard

Vanguard No can remember!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brooks
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Extended C/O's non resi, OME 60091/Dakar Leaf Pack, All Pro U-bolt Flip, Timberens, 17" SR8's, 285/70/17 Duratracs, AFE Stage II Intake, Magnaflow Cat back w/Resonator, BHLM, Grillcraft, 15/5 Tint, All-Pro HD Sliders @10 degr, OEM Roof Racks, TRD Skid Plate, Wet Okole's, Scan guage II, Optima Yellow
    you can install led bulbs in your stock housings and it'll be fine. It'll be brighter for the low beams and still not thow a lot of light into oncoming traffic. If you put HID's in a stock housing the way that the bulb emits light the reflector in the stock housing will shine everywhere and not whee you intend. It'll be brighter for you but also dangerously bright for oncoming traffic. If you want HID's the only way to go is to get or do the retros.

Installing LED's and HID's for that matter are easy. They're plug and play. So, that means you plug the stock headlight harness into the light balast and then plug the balast into the bulb and install the bulb. the balast for the HID's that I used to have required you to then run a wire to the battery for the power and one for the ground. I don't know about the led's but should be about the same.

Here's a cute chick that will explain the HID install for you and give you an idea for both HID's and LED's. Just make sure you focus on the install and not her! Oh yeah and if she can do it......:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxb-S4wZzxc

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  8. Mar 3, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    Buster888

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    Cute chick, thanks but that's what I'm trying to stay away from (I don't mean the Hottie in the video). When I say plug n play I mean take the bulb and insert a replacement LED for instance. Not messing around with a balest. Know what I mean? Pull out the current one and push in an LED. Not possible???

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top