Notices

safety check

Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 AM   #21
ScottyB is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
ScottyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma9999 View Post
The wife is moving to the Big Island, Kona area, and bringing the Taco. Does anyone know a good place to get the safety check done there? Most posters here seem to be on Maui or Oahu.

As far as I know safety checks are an Oahu thing. I remember a friend talking about cops having a field day with tickets if the super ferry had gotten going and brought peoples cars over for trips to Oahu without safety checks.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. The Taco is scheduled for delivery the 16th, so we will find out then.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #23
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
Safety checks are a must on all islands, I got a nice ticket for not having mine
Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #24
ScottyB's Tacoma Gallery
So it is. I was misinformed. I thought maybe I was given some old info but it looks like it was just wrong.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
What we don't have is that pesky recon thingy
Old 07-24-2010, 03:07 AM   #26
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
My truck passed with flying colors! Just make sure your tires don't stick out.
I have the BW fenders so I didn't need to cheapo garden liners. I just needed wider mud flaps. Picked some up at "Grainger"

It's a pain looking for a cool place for safety.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:40 AM   #27
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
hahaha i extend my mudflap with cardboard... so ghetto but whatever works
Old 07-24-2010, 05:18 AM   #28
ScottyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
My truck passed with flying colors! Just make sure your tires don't stick out.
I have the BW fenders so I didn't need to cheapo garden liners. I just needed wider mud flaps. Picked some up at "Grainger"

It's a pain looking for a cool place for safety.

You got recon? It seems pretty obvious you got some lift going on there. If they didn't hassle you about that then I need to go where you went.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #29
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
Safety checks are a must on all islands, I got a nice ticket for not having mine
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
So it is. I was misinformed. I thought maybe I was given some old info but it looks like it was just wrong.
i think they mighta gave out choke tickets for recon, cause the other islands no need recon, but on oahu it's law. well supposedly. it's only a $70 ish fine. just don't go through DUI checkpoints (AKA Recon and Safety Checkpoints as well) and drive safe, and don't speed. only if a cop is REALLY looking to give out a ticket he'll give you a ticket for recon, and recon alone. Most of the time they need a better reason to pull you over, because alot of cops have a hard time distinguishing vehicles that have modified suspension, especially if its subtle. For example you could have 5 blalahs in a corolla and that thing would be hella low, but you can't get a recon ticket for that.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #31
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
You got recon? It seems pretty obvious you got some lift going on there. If they didn't hassle you about that then I need to go where you went.
Yeah a 6" lift is all good! I still can lift it more if I wanted. I'm not close to the height requirements.

With the Bushwackers my tires don't stick out. (Without the Spidertrax)
Old 07-25-2010, 03:08 AM   #32
ScottyB's Tacoma Gallery
Guy I know got pulled over by a cop that ended up being sherrifs dept. Not only did they give him a ticket for no recon, they went after the shop that he got his safety from. Quite a few shops here end up losing their safety check for months at a time because they pass ppl that should have recon and don't.

These tickets are totally based on if the cop feels like being an ass or if he thinks you are some punk kid. You prob go a long time without getting a ticket in a lifted pickup like this but if you got a slammed honda you probably get pulled over ever 3 blocks in comparison. It was like that when I was in LA too. They were strict on exhaust noise. You'd see them with like 20 guys from a honda cruise pulled over and if you drove something else you were fine.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:16 AM   #33
SpaceGoat is on a distinguished road
SpaceGoat's Tacoma Gallery
Kona Saftey Check

No need for any special place really, just that you have to make appointments for saftey checks. So long as your tires don't stick out, you have flaps, etc. One thing they have checked me in Kona is headlights...are they aimed correctly now that you have a lift.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:30 AM   #34
Waikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedWaikoloa Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Waikoloa Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The taco passed it's safety inspection. Took it down to a shop and they had it done in 15 minutes.