Hawaii Recon Information, Q&A Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #401
Foward momentum
tx novice is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
tx novice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmods View Post
It's still listed in the recon manual that the safety and recon sticker can not be attached to the license plate in any form unless it is on a motorcycle. Who knows..

They are just covering their asses. If you had them listed on your recon form they would have passed you. :/

Did you find so done who would pass you?
Paid the $25 pass or not...went to a place that passed me B 4, paid the $25 , then they told me I have to go back to the 1st place since I failed their. Linked basterds! So I'm putting the stock bulbs back and getting passed at the 1st place.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:53 AM   #402
xmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathaniel
xmods's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx novice View Post
Paid the $25 pass or not...went to a place that passed me B 4, paid the $25 , then they told me I have to go back to the 1st place since I failed their. Linked basterds! So I'm putting the stock bulbs back and getting passed at the 1st place.
You should go to my friend over on this side. He won't charge until you pass! Tell him you be with me

Although I don't know if that will help or hurt lol
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #403
xurusaibobx is on a distinguished road
xurusaibobx's Tacoma Gallery
another example the state needs to update the laws. LEDS are coming standard on many vehicles. BMW for example uses LED headlamps now on their 2014 models bright as heck!

with the new system if you failed a one station and try to go to another station and try to pass there the inspector will know via linked system that you failed at a different station. So most shops will tell you to go back to the original inspection station because they arent going over rule another inspector.

from my knowledge the only lift you can legally have on a any truck pretty much is the bilstein 5100 with STOCK springs. because according to the law and recon if the original springs are there then its not considered modified. even though bilsteins are addjustable height compression shocks that lift the truck. according to the law that doesnt require recon. true fact but if you add a strut spacer on a stock shock/spring then that requires recon because you cant add or modify OE strut mounting via spacers or blocks or else that will require recon.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 AM   #405
Foward momentum
tx novice is on a distinguished road

Name: Ron
tx novice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Update....PASSED!
Also heard from several peps...l.e.d.s are no pueno for safety checks if it didn't come from the factory that way........just 2 words to that stupidity...FAT BALLZ!!!!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #406
AiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really niceAiNoFaKNKeA is just really nice
Army: Aviation
Name: Mike
AiNoFaKNKeA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Update....PASSED!
Also heard from several peps...l.e.d.s are no pueno for safety checks if it didn't come from the factory that way........just 2 words to that stupidity...FAT BALLZ!!!!
wow, they actually check for led's now...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #408
xmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shedxmods is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xmods's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats Ron! It's all because nobody wants to have accountability for changing or clarifying a city & county ordinance. But that's how politics go unfortunately :/
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #409
Maui Mormon is on a distinguished road
Name: Keli'i
Maui Mormon's Tacoma Gallery
Alright, so I'm going to do recon soon and I have HID lights, I read earlier in this thread that it was addressed, but where do I get the stock bulb and also the stock wiring, I'm sorry, but I didn't install the HID's so I feel like I have to get stock wiring.

Next is, where do people get this Gardening Fender Flare thing? Is this the landscaping siding inside of like Ace Hardware and stuff? I'm looking for a way to cover my 285/65/18's and I guess Bushwackers aren't going to work completely, so I'm not going to spend all that money for nothing.

Aloha, Kelii
Old 08-29-2014, 01:29 AM   #410
Harryscrack is on a distinguished road
Harryscrack's Tacoma Gallery
Did anyone pass recon running tires similar to 285/65/18 with stock flares? Wondering if need those garden flares. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #411
oFFtaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
oFFtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryscrack View Post
Did anyone pass recon running tires similar to 285/65/18 with stock flares? Wondering if need those garden flares. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
Just went yesterday and passed. I'm running 285/70/17 and thread protruded out by about 3/4". I ran flares (garden edging), but inspector didn't check out much thread was stickout out. He assumed I needed them bc I had them on the truck.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #412

xmods's Tacoma Gallery
Just drop a plumbob from the fender; if the sidewall is all that sticks out the. Fin, but if any tread that is worn by the road is beyond then need flares.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #413
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oFFtaco View Post
Just went yesterday and passed. I'm running 285/70/17 and thread protruded out by about 3/4". I ran flares (garden edging), but inspector didn't check out much thread was stickout out. He assumed I needed them bc I had them on the truck.
Post some pics.. we'll tell you..
Old 09-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #414
cubiclesurfer is on a distinguished road
Name: Sheldon
cubiclesurfer's Tacoma Gallery
maybe this has been covered somewhere in the previous 20 pages... I just called the recon office cause their site (http://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/faqs_recon.htm) says you can call to schedule future appointments, however, everything is now a first come, first served basis (no appointments). sooo, I guess I'll be showing up there nice and fricking early so I don't have to wait hours.

I'll be getting alignment shortly after installing my new suspension. everything I have is legal specs (tires in fender well, tint, etc.), but the only questionable thing is my stickers on my rear window. they're in the lower left and right corners, not visible through the rearview mirror. my previous safety check experience went smoothly because "they're not visible from the driver's perspective"... just wondering if that applies to recon too?

anyone care to share how their recent recon experience has been (i.e. wait time, nit-picky inspectors, etc.)? also, anyone have preference/opinions on alignment shops? I was planning on Scotty's, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #415
rka is on a distinguished road
Name: Rylan
rka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubiclesurfer View Post
maybe this has been covered somewhere in the previous 20 pages... I just called the recon office cause their site (http://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/faqs_recon.htm) says you can call to schedule future appointments, however, everything is now a first come, first served basis (no appointments). sooo, I guess I'll be showing up there nice and fricking early so I don't have to wait hours.

I'll be getting alignment shortly after installing my new suspension. everything I have is legal specs (tires in fender well, tint, etc.), but the only questionable thing is my stickers on my rear window. they're in the lower left and right corners, not visible through the rearview mirror. my previous safety check experience went smoothly because "they're not visible from the driver's perspective"... just wondering if that applies to recon too?

anyone care to share how their recent recon experience has been (i.e. wait time, nit-picky inspectors, etc.)? also, anyone have preference/opinions on alignment shops? I was planning on Scotty's, but I'm open to suggestions.
Yup first come first serve. Did mine maybe a week ago. I got there at 7am but the guys at the trailer office said wait till 8am. Had two people waiting ahead of me. Wait in your truck in the lane lined with cones. They'll come to you when you're up. Took maybe 10 mins to finish the inspection. I had license plate covers. Had to take um off. Had to pop the hood. The inspector looked around and measured the bumper heights while I paid the $15 cash at the office. I then filled out a sheet saying what was modified. Mines was basically suspension lift, wheels, and tires. After that he put the sticker on and I was out.

I went to Scotty's for the alignment the day before. Waited about 30 mins.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #416

xmods's Tacoma Gallery
My most recent recon was so so. Took 2 months of calling (1-2 times a week), not to bet an appointment as I had one 5 months out! But to get my inspector to just call me back. When he heard my situation he agreed it would be a 5 minute deal and told me to come after closing. The inspection was quick and painless. He did make me remove a sticker that had passed recon and safety 3 previous times, but I was getting tired of it anyway. I think I would have been a lot better off if they would have done walkins.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #417
Koootch will become famous soon enough
EMS:
Koootch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Drive in before they open. I got to town around 630 and was killing time thinking they wouldnt have the gate open till 8 but I finally pulled in around 745 and there was already 10 guys ahead of me. I had stickers upper and lower left corners and he didnt say anything about them. But he also said he thought i was a cop since i walked in wearing my work pants and boots, so maybe he let me slide. Scottys is good but he charged me 140 the last couple times I was there.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #418
cubiclesurfer is on a distinguished road
Name: Sheldon
cubiclesurfer's Tacoma Gallery
you guys getting the recon sticker on your bumper, or on a bracket? my truck is new, so I have the 2 year safety (good to 7/16), but I wanted to eventually mount a bracket. just wondering if it'll be a pain in the ass to get the recon sticker moved to a bracket... I'm imagining it'll be like getting recon all over again?
Old 09-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #419
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you guys getting the recon sticker on your bumper, or on a bracket? my truck is new, so I have the 2 year safety (good to 7/16), but I wanted to eventually mount a bracket. just wondering if it'll be a pain in the ass to get the recon sticker moved to a bracket... I'm imagining it'll be like getting recon all over again?
If you put the bracket on the lower right area of the bumper they will put it on there for you with no problem. They won't put it on a plate next to the license plate though. Sticker can be removed if you do it right away after getting it put on though.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #420
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I put a plate on the lower edge of my bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossk35 View Post
If you put the bracket on the lower right area of the bumper they will put it on there for you with no problem. They won't put it on a plate next to the license plate though. Sticker can be removed if you do it right away after getting it put on though.
Thanks for the info, I made a plate to slide behind the license plate for my car, it's getting painted in a few weeks and don't want it on the bumper.