1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

You store gas?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by raycie, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM
    raycie

raycie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB / 2016 4R Trail
    In need of $$$
    After last night/this mornings events, wife said" maybe we should have a 5gal gas tank filled just in case..

I have a 2gal tank for the lawnmower, but almost never always filled.

Anyone store some fuel for the "just in case"? If so, plastic or off-road metal? Where do you keep? Just on the side of the house?

2. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Gas goes bad after a while.

3. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I keep a couple of five gallons cans around...up the hill from the barn, under a tarp, on a pallet. I use it for various pieces of power equipment and it never goes bad, it gets used and replaced first.

If it does go bad, it gets reused to burn bush piles.

4. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    raycie

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    Yea, just read something that should use stabil, and should use/rotate within 3 months.

5. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    pilotj

pilotj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Grand Mesa, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 226,000 like new!
    Deck plate w/baffle, grey wire mod, defroster switch mod, LED footlights, LED cap lights, magnetic theft deterent...
    Ya know, sometimes you put your foot in your mouth and sometimes its both and you swallow.

Sorry about that folks.....

6. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    raycie

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    Ummm.. did you read the initial thread and possibly the forum in which this was posted, or did you just read the title and respond?

The thread was posted in the Hawaii forum, and stated that:
    "After last night/this mornings events, wife said" maybe we should have a 5 gal gas tank filled just in case"

First, I am not wanting to store gas because of the rising fuel prices, so price has nothing to do with it.
    Second, I am not wanting to store gallons and gallons in case of the world economy meltdown, just a 5 gallon container, in the case of a natural disaster to fill up a vehicle/generator.

Not sure if you are aware, but Hawaii was under a tsunami warning, and subsequently got hit with a small tsunami. When any "natural disaster" is on it's way (i.e hurricane/tsunami/weather generated power outage), everyone runs to the gas stations to fill up. Lines can be hours long, and doesn't help the situation by adding into the already congested streets and possible public panic.

If you don't think I have enough knowledge to store 5 gallons, the I guess I shouldn't even store 2 gallons for my lawn mower.. Then again, I would have to assume you don't think I have enough know how to own a gas powered lawn mower..

Appology accepted if in fact you didn't read the questions asked.... If not, please explain your rationale for your reply, cause not sure what substance your reply has to my thread.

7. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    owned...

and sounds like a good idea OP, just put stabilizer in it or use and replace it every month or so.

8. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    Nope too much work for a 'what if' and too little return on all that work even if I did ever need it. 5-gal is simply to little to do much. Especially when I can steal gas from parked cars if it comes down to it. Ohh btw they sell containers of gas that is sealed in a container for long term storage.

9. Mar 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Not really..not for a long time if stored in a carb canister.

Store it in something that evaporates and yea, it'll evaporate into varnish. Like in a carburetor. Keeps getting fed, keeps evaporating, pretty soon you have tons of crap. I try to cycle mine out every once in a while, but not for a year or more, never a problem. Stored in air tight plastic cans, and full.

I keep about 15 gallons around. What good would my generators be without. Of course, you get a cheapy site generator you need 50-100 gallons. My hondas do about 10-15 hours straight on a gallon. same in a site generator would be about 10-30 gallons watt for watt.

10. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    raycie

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    In need of $$$
    yea, I figure my small Honda can run for 12 hours on one gallon.. That could at least keep the fridge going ir a couple of days.

Long term storage container different that the "regular" gas cans they have at HD?

I would probably use stabil and rotate every 2-3 months. Stabil hv any negativ affect on your car engine?

11. Mar 12, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    stabil is only needed in engines. Keeps stuff from falling out of the gas or replaces those things that do. I store gas in my generator, I just shut off the fuel feed and drain the carb. No problem. I tried stabil in the hondas once, after 30 days both were clogged, pain in the ass to clean carbs that small.

In a gas can, don't think stabil will do anything, unless it's vented, which would be an old gas can, not legal anymore.

Products Discussed in

To Top