Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Hawaii (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hawaii/)
-   -   What company sells the best sliding and locking tonneaus on Oahu? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hawaii/210320-what-company-sells-best-sliding-locking-tonneaus-oahu.html)

HawayanTacoma 03-17-2012 11:37 AM

What company sells the best sliding and locking tonneaus on Oahu?

Looking to buy one this weekend. Any good advice? I'm looking to spend not more than $1500. LMK. Aloooooooha, Marv.

hemitruk 03-18-2012 10:02 PM

Try truck concepts in waipio

holokai 03-22-2012 04:04 AM

I just picked up a Roll-N-Lock because I didn't want to pick up Pop-N-Lock for the tailgate as it messes with the factory camera location and the build quality apparently isn't the best.

Installed it myself; took a couple hours taking my time and making sure everything was lined up. Good investment as I can go fishing/diving and lock my gear in the bed after if we end up stopping at a store/restaurant/bar.

I think the cheapest I heard installed was $1349 from Aloha Toppers behind Cutter Ford (includes free lifetime adjustment). You can save about $100 if you buy online but you'll have to install yourself. Might be able to pick one up from Servco/Motor Imports on South Street. I think they sell them for $1200ish but no installation is included.

Seen a couple people with the Retrax cover. Looks super cherry/sleek but IIRC you need a separate tailgate lock.

Don't wanna hijack this thread so you can PM me if you have any more questions about the Roll-N-Lock.

Shoots.

HawayanTacoma 03-23-2012 09:58 PM

Thanks for the advice. Aloha.

AnJ 03-26-2012 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holokai (Post 4782155)
I just picked up a Roll-N-Lock because I didn't want to pick up Pop-N-Lock for the tailgate as it messes with the factory camera location and the build quality apparently isn't the best.

Installed it myself; took a couple hours taking my time and making sure everything was lined up. Good investment as I can go fishing/diving and lock my gear in the bed after if we end up stopping at a store/restaurant/bar.

I think the cheapest I heard installed was $1349 from Aloha Toppers behind Cutter Ford (includes free lifetime adjustment). You can save about $100 if you buy online but you'll have to install yourself. Might be able to pick one up from Servco/Motor Imports on South Street. I think they sell them for $1200ish but no installation is included.

Seen a couple people with the Retrax cover. Looks super cherry/sleek but IIRC you need a separate tailgate lock.

Don't wanna hijack this thread so you can PM me if you have any more questions about the Roll-N-Lock.

Shoots.

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST.
Looking into a Tonneau cover ASAP.
What do you suggest? Def want the retractable one. Not the lift one.
My Taco is 2012 Pre-Runner 4 cyl.
Thanks.

HawayanTacoma 03-27-2012 10:23 AM

I have decided to get a slide and lock. $1142 + $6 shipping from Amazon. I am going to install it myself. I think I'm going to get a Popnlock, too. Shootz.

HawayanTacoma 03-27-2012 10:26 AM

Oh yah, the Popnlock is like $58. It includes the camera hook-up. Sounds good! Aloooooooooooooooooha.

holokai 03-27-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawayanTacoma (Post 4811243)
I have decided to get a slide and lock. $1142 + $6 shipping from Amazon. I am going to install it myself. I think I'm going to get a Popnlock, too. Shootz.

Are you getting a Slide and Lock or Roll-N-Lock? If it's a Roll-N-Lock you don't need the Pop-N-Lock since the cover locks to the tailgate.

CmonMan 03-27-2012 11:17 AM

i just ordered a Retrax from Hawaii Truck Concepts. The old guy is pretty knowledgable. He has a bunch of different brands to choose from.

HonoluluTaco 03-28-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawayanTacoma (Post 4811243)

$6 shipping, your stoked!!!:bananadance:

HawayanTacoma 03-29-2012 07:27 PM

It is a Roll n loc. If it locks to the tail gate, that is even better! Thanks for the "heads up!"
Alooooooooooooooha.

holokai 03-31-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawayanTacoma (Post 4827280)
It is a Roll n loc. If it locks to the tail gate, that is even better! Thanks for the "heads up!"
Alooooooooooooooha.

Yup, no need the Pop-N-Lock with the Roll-N-Lock. Congrats!

HawayanTacoma 04-01-2012 03:15 PM

Installed the Rollnloc Saturday. It took about 90+ minutes to install. The cover does lock to the T-gate. I luv the looks and the fit. Good product. I just didn't want to drill the holes for the drain tubes. I might do that later. Thanks for the great advice.
Alooooooooooooooooooha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by holokai (Post 4834427)
Yup, no need the Pop-N-Lock with the Roll-N-Lock. Congrats!

Tigahshark 04-01-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawayanTacoma (Post 4839956)
Installed the Rollnloc Saturday. It took about 90+ minutes to install. The cover does lock to the T-gate. I luv the looks and the fit. Good product. I just didn't want to drill the holes for the drain tubes. I might do that later. Thanks for the great advice.
Alooooooooooooooooooha.

Post some pics of that bad boy!

holokai 04-01-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawayanTacoma (Post 4839956)
Alooooooooooooooooooha.

Solid. Retracting good? If it's a little slow you can lubricate the tracks with the vinyl protectant they include. Can use the factory drain holes; just need to enlarge them. Will have to do so from underneath since you have it installed already. The bed material can irritate your skin when you enlarge the holes (maybe fiberglass in it?) so don't lie directly under or wear a long sleeve shirt when drilling. Shoots.

AnJ 04-02-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holokai (Post 4842910)
Solid. Retracting good? If it's a little slow you can lubricate the tracks with the vinyl protectant they include. Can use the factory drain holes; just need to enlarge them. Will have to do so from underneath since you have it installed already. The bed material can irritate your skin when you enlarge the holes (maybe fiberglass in it?) so don't lie directly under or wear a long sleeve shirt when drilling. Shoots.

This thread is so helpful. Thanks you guys!
Always lookin' out for the next Tacoma owner!

HawayanTacoma 04-02-2012 08:25 PM

A silicone based spray should be a better alternative, than the vinyl spray. It is because, after a while, if you keep putting the vinyl spray, it will become gooey once it dries up in the track. Just my opinion.

holokai 04-02-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawayanTacoma (Post 4848851)
A silicone based spray should be a better alternative, than the vinyl spray. It is because, after a while, if you keep putting the vinyl spray, it will become gooey once it dries up in the track. Just my opinion.

Will the vinyl spray become gooey? :eek: If so, Roll-N-Lock should make the change Care and Maintenance Section on their website: http://www.rollnlock.com/TechSupport...S/Default.aspx

"Periodically treat the track runners with a light application of the Raggtopp Protectant provided. NEVER use any type of grease, graphite, WD-40 or other petroleum derivative."

or their Troubleshooting section as well:
http://www.rollnlock.com/TechSupport...S/Default.aspx

"10) The cover is hard to pull.
A. The tracks are too far inboard and squeezing the cover.
B. The tracks are not level; they are tilted up or down.
C. The tracks have been lubricated with lithium grease or similar. Clean the tracks and then lubricate with the Ragg Topp™ protectant provided."

I think I'll read up a little more though, I got a bottle of 303 Protectant in my RnL box instead of the Ragg Topp mentioned on their site.

HawayanTacoma 04-02-2012 09:11 PM

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...bedpics001.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigahshark (Post 4841342)
Post some pics of that bad boy!

[IMG]http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/s...bedpics002.jpg[/IMG]

Pic of my TRD Trailer hitch cover. Got it from Amazon.com. see my review on this product. I also got a lock for it so that I could lock it and not get it stolen. Got the lock from Checker O'Riley's for $30.

HawayanTacoma 04-03-2012 07:11 PM

Thanks again, for the advice. I never thought to look on their website. My tailgate did have trouble closing. So I looked at the directions and removed the spacers. They stick it on the clamp. I removed the spacer on the rear bed clamp and the tailgate closes now with no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by holokai (Post 4849142)
Will the vinyl spray become gooey? :eek: If so, Roll-N-Lock should make the change Care and Maintenance Section on their website: http://www.rollnlock.com/TechSupport...S/Default.aspx

"Periodically treat the track runners with a light application of the Raggtopp Protectant provided. NEVER use any type of grease, graphite, WD-40 or other petroleum derivative."

or their Troubleshooting section as well:
http://www.rollnlock.com/TechSupport...S/Default.aspx

"10) The cover is hard to pull.
A. The tracks are too far inboard and squeezing the cover.
B. The tracks are not level; they are tilted up or down.
C. The tracks have been lubricated with lithium grease or similar. Clean the tracks and then lubricate with the Ragg Topp™ protectant provided."

I think I'll read up a little more though, I got a bottle of 303 Protectant in my RnL box instead of the Ragg Topp mentioned on their site.