1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie checking in...

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by OoRrLlYy, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Jun 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    OoRrLlYy

OoRrLlYy [OP] Member

Member:
    Kalihi/Oahu/Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport DCLB 4x4
    This is my very first truck so I am a newbie to the truck scene.

2012 super white Tacoma double cab long bed trd sport w/4x4

Just wondering what kind of recommendations everyone has... Thanks in advance!

2. Jun 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  3. Jun 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR 4X4 Quicksand
  4. Jun 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    West31

West31 The only easy day was yesterday

Member:
    First Name:
    Westin
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4cyl SR5
    Hey welcome to Tacoma World. Even though we live in Hawaii and its hard to get parts shipped here this forum and other users really help out a lot. Hope we get to cruz one day

5. Jun 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Aloha my braddah :wave:

6. Jun 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Lift, wheels and tires :)

7. Jun 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    HonoluluTaco

HonoluluTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Howzit and congrats, New 2012 truck, I suggest Weather Tech floor mats right off the bat, followed by Wet Okoles... At least that way while your waiting to do the other million things your gonna want to do, your truck will be protected and stay new.

8. Jun 5, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    IndigoTac07

IndigoTac07 Tortoise*

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma
    Welcome! I reccomend Plasti-dipping badges and possibly wheels before going after market, to save some money. Then doing almost everything on this list!

And a HomerTaco grille :cool: if thats what you like

9. Jun 5, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    400lbGorilla

400lbGorilla ^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.

Member:
    First Name:
    T-LAM
    Ocean City, MD
    Vehicle:
    BSP 4X4 BASE
    Roof Rack, TRD exhaust, Hood Shield, Side Steps, 5% Tints, Tow Package, Bed Extender, Billies at 2.5, Toytec TSB AAL, Avid Offroad Bar, Cruise Control, Removed Sway, Hella 700s, 6000k HIDs, diff breather mod. DTRL, BHLM,Sockmonkyed.
    I recommend posting some pics of the new rig. Sounds like a sweet truck, I wish I could've found a DCLB over here in Maryland. Welcome to TW.

10. Jun 6, 2012 at 4:55 AM
    S7ICKlVlAN

S7ICKlVlAN Cpt. Bubbleguts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB
    TRD badged | Hunting Cage | Smoked Tails | LED Everything | Slim Cubby HID bi-xenon's | Spidertrax 1.25" | BHLM | FLM | S2000 Ant | 20% Shade | PL 8521 | OME 885 | Bilstein 5100's | Toytec 2" AAL | FN 18x9" Bronze BFD's | 275/65-18 Duratrac's | Wrinkle Red Valve Covers | 3M Di-Noc Wrapped Interior | Kode MB Push Button Ignition | Relentless Sliders | URD TCAI | Mr.Marv Enclosure | Arc Audio 10" | Hybrid Audio Clarus F/R | Alpine PDX-5 | Alpine INE-S920HD
    What's good OoRLly! Here's some recommendations.....I'll try to get specific

Lift - This is a personal preference type mod, but I went with OME 885x & 2" AAL (Toytec), Bilstein 5100's (Downsouth Motorsports)

Wheels/Tires - FN's BFD's are the shit and FN rocks! Another very personal choice. I also went to Windward Goodyear and got a great deal from Scot there on some Duratrac's.

CAI (Cold Air Induction) - I went with the URD TCAI and it's the most involving kit to install, but it is well worth the trouble. Many will tell you otherwise, but my MPG's have improved pretty dramatically, and throttle response is much better. I'm sure it's added power, and it's known to pull ambient/lower than ambient temps.

Alarm - Get a good alarm system. Self explanatory

Weathertech Mats - Makes living with your truck a lot easier

Cat-Back Exhaust - Some guys will tell you just add a muffler. I say, buy a whole new system. I'll be likely going URD, but this is another one of those very personal decisions.

Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers - You'll need the URD y-pipe and some 02 sims as well. One of the best bolt-on HP adders and they sound killer.

Forced Induction - The TRD S/C is the most popular and offers warranty from Toyota. I personally would likely go with a Turbo kit (my personal preference). See user Torspd or Toons714 build pages for more info.....SICK stuff!

Tint - I went with non-legal tint and don't regret it for a moment. Looks good. Keeps the truck cooler. See Dwight at Protint in Kalihi. Awesome work, good prices!

Sound system - The 12's sound OK outta the box, but a great sound system is something I have come to appreciate. Mr. Marv is the man when it comes to this stuff and I'd go thru the trouble of looking him up if you decide to go this route. Search him on the forums. Awesome guy.

NST Pulleys - These are extruded aluminum pulley's that weigh a fraction of the stock steelies. They will help with throttle response and in reducing rotating mass/inertia.

Braille Lightweight battery - This is a killer mod to do. I plan on doing this and relocating it closer to the rear of the truck. The stocker is an anchor (as are most). Braille has a battery that weighs 9lbs and can be mounted sideways/upside down/etc.....nice way to reduce weight.

That should give you some good places to start modding. Personally I am extremely happy with a bunch of my mods. My recommendations, particularly the brands and companies I referenced, reflect good experiences. In particular.....

FN Motorsports
    Downsouth Motorsports
    Mr. Marv
    URD
    Toytec
    Protint
    Goodyear Windward

There are also some relatively cheap DIY mods. BHLM or black headlight mod is awesome. Also, see my build page for painting your valve covers....looks great and just takes a little time and effort.

11. Jun 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    2010 TRD OffRoad DC/SB, 285/70/17 KM2's, Mickey Thompson Classic Locks, Total Chaos UCA's King 2.5 RR Coilover 3" AllPro Leaf Pack, 2.0 Fox RR, Ubolt flip kit, MBRP dual cat back, URD TCAI and MAF Calibrator, TRD Sport Hood w/ scoop, E&G Classics Custom Stainless Grill, Color matched grill and door handles WeatherTech floor mats, FormulaOne Pinacle 15%+Air blue windshield Tint, RedLine hood struts, TRD 3rd Brake light Decal, Relentless Fab Hybrid 2 piece Sliders with Kick out Relentless Fab Aluminum Front bumper, Relentless steel rear bumper, Relentless Steel IFS B.A.M.F LCA Skids, w/ Rear Diff Skid ordered In my Spare room waiting to be installed sits, Wet Okoles, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, SockMonkey Hawaii TRD OffRoad Decal, Big box of Rammat, Speakers and Custom Sub from Mr.Marv,
    Dave's (S7ickivaian) is on the ball and I agree with those mods, I forgot to mention the tint, living in Hawaii definitely get a ceramic nano based tint, there are several brands all the tinters carry one version. These not only block 99% UV keeping everything new inside but block 60% infrared heat (thermal heat, the kind that heats up the truck) while not affecting electronic signals inside the car. Also Check out Air blue, it's a clear legal front ceramic tint that goes on your windshield. I leave my truck in the sun all day and it's barely slightly warmer than out side. Best comfort MOD I 've done. I've had my truck done if you want to check it out, I live Makiki right around the corner from you.

12. Jun 6, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    West31

Member:
    First Name:
    Westin
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4cyl SR5
    One thing I think the others forgot change out your DRL (Daytime running lights) bulb to an LED. Or completely disconnect it.

13. Jun 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    OoRrLlYy

OoRrLlYy [OP] Member

Member:
    Kalihi/Oahu/Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport DCLB 4x4
    Wow! Thanks for all the input! Right now I'm still debating to do a lift with rims and tire or to put in a full jl sound system with alpine head unit. I'm torn because I love the look of a 3" lift matched up with 33" tires but the stock stereo system sucks balls. I'll try get some pics up later on today!

Btw, do you guys hold any meet n greet or anything like that? Would be nice to put some faces to these usernames sometime!

14. Jun 7, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    HonoluluTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Koi
    Reston Virginia
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD 4x4 OffRoad DC/SB
    Were trying to get a MOD day going, that way you can see what everybody else is doing to their trucks and pick what you like. I.E. see the different size lifts, wheels and tire packages, hear different exhaust systems, shat like that... Basically add to your never ending list of Modifications...

15. Jun 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    OoRrLlYy

OoRrLlYy [OP] Member

Member:
    Kalihi/Oahu/Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD sport DCLB 4x4
    A mod day would be nice! I'd be down to show up and help.

16. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    The stock stereo doesn't suck to much balls, I've heard worst stock radios

17. Jun 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
  18. Jun 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    West31

Member:
    First Name:
    Westin
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4cyl SR5
    Mod day would be awesome I would love to check out what everyone has done to the Taco. I havent really done anything at all in my 2009 that I bought off a friend

Products Discussed in

To Top