Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Hawaii (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hawaii/)
-   -   The "NO-NO" local thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hawaii/283558-no-no-local-thread.html)

raycie 06-23-2013 11:42 PM

The "NO-NO" local thread

In an effort to assist all our non-local members we should have some NO-NO's (do not do's) in the local mindset.

Locals (born and raised, or those that know better,,,)... add in as it goes...

1. Invites to a BBQ (potluck) does not mean that the grill will be hot, and to bring something (for yourself) to cook... Bring enough for everyone, as a "shared dish"..

2. If you say you gonna show up, show up... even for a minute or more, , but show up, cause there will be probably be enough food to feed an army.......

Gelo760 06-23-2013 11:46 PM

Don't bring bud light and drink the craft beer .

Kala 06-24-2013 01:52 AM

pau=done.
our ways of life are different...dont impede.
many of us are happy how we live our lives, if we liked it so much we would move there!
if there's other surfers in the water, there must be a line up. guy whos been waiting up there the longest is usually by the break..he's next!
shaka even if you dont know them...and dont maake all serious kine when you do that.
dont go jumping off any waterfall....check the depth first! a lot of times its murky, shallow, and sometimes rocks!
dont ever tell a local they look funny.

elsenordave 06-24-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kala (Post 7070498)
pau=done.
our ways of life are different...dont impede.
many of us are happy how we live our lives, if we liked it so much we would move there!
if there's other surfers in the water, there must be a line up. guy whos been waiting up there the longest is usually by the break..he's next!
shaka even if you dont know them...and dont maake all serious kine when you do that.
dont go jumping off any waterfall....check the depth first! a lot of times its murky, shallow, and sometimes rocks!
dont ever tell a local they look funny.

#truestory

scorpio382 06-24-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raycie (Post 7070185)
In an effort to assist all our non-local members we should have some NO-NO's (do not do's) in the local mindset.

Locals (born and raised, or those that know better,,,)... add in as it goes...

1. Invites to a BBQ (potluck) does not mean that the grill will be hot, and to bring something (for yourself) to cook... Bring enough for everyone, as a "shared dish"..

2. If you say you gonna show up, show up... even for a minute or more, , but show up, cause there will be probably be enough food to feed an army.......

Very true.

blanc 06-24-2013 11:44 PM

haha. so true. pot luck means small party. bring something to share with the whole gang. then leave with mixed plate take home leftovas!

1uzrnr 06-25-2013 08:30 PM

- Get used to being the minority
- Always be courteous to others, locals will notice and treat you differently and respect you based on that.
- Smile and while you shaka, it makes a difference
- Learn the real Hawaiian history, not the mainland BS version.
- Learn the culture and you will respect it.
- Sometimes it's better to bite your tongue
- Being called Haole or Papolo isn't always a derogatory descriptor, learn to know the difference

That's just a few things I live by

Oh, and don't wear swim shorts with elastic in the waist and let um ride low.

BurgerSandlot 06-25-2013 08:35 PM

Nice one lol Ricers in there little CR-Z's always trying to race me!

elsenordave 06-25-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1uzrnr (Post 7079583)
- Being called Haole...isn't always a derogatory descriptor,

I rock a Haole Built sticker on my DD & get some stink eye :eek: which is kinda of funny because most people think I grown not flown and trip when they find out I wasn't born here...:D

raycie 06-26-2013 02:00 AM

I used to call my wife my little Haole girl.. now we have a little hapa haole boy and a little hapa haole girl.... haole can can be an enduring term... depending on how it's used... but.. my mother-in-law still thinks it is only derogatory...

"When in Rome".... We have had a bunch of military friends. Some of them will be friends for life. Those who have loved their time here have embedded themselves in the local culture rather than trying to find the mainland in hawaii..

Kinda still gets under my skin when a mainlander refers to the mainland as "the states"... I usually say, "are you referring to the upper 48"? Lol...

Nirvana 06-26-2013 11:33 AM

Is it possible to get too far into the culture?

Bandit 06-26-2013 11:47 AM

Went to the Big Island once... Super cool place but I felt like I was gonna get jumped cause I didn't blend in at all. Felt more comfortable in Afghanistan than I did at Walmart in HI. This thread will be useful!

tx novice 06-30-2013 10:16 AM

If a local says..... WHAT!!
Don't reply with a smart ass remark.
Co-worker from the continental U.S. walked around with a nice black eye for about 2 and a half weeks!! :eek: :D

raycie 06-30-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 7082535)
Is it possible to get too far into the culture?

Not sure what you mean, or how... "trying" too hard will always be easy to spot. Being humble will go a long way.

raycie 06-30-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 7082615)
Went to the Big Island once... Super cool place but I felt like I was gonna get jumped cause I didn't blend in at all. Felt more comfortable in Afghanistan than I did at Walmart in HI. This thread will be useful!

Was that because you were waffling around with a AR-15??? Or because you were surrounded by your fellow military brothers??? Lol..

flatfeet 07-01-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 7082615)

Big Islanders are probably the most easy going people here in Hawaii. Although Hilo has been getting a rash of crime lately, in general, BI people are really friendly. I know, im from there, lol. FBI!

Kala 07-01-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatfeet (Post 7103868)
Big Islanders are probably the most easy going people here in Hawaii. Although Hilo has been getting a rash of crime lately, in general, BI people are really friendly. I know, im from there, lol. FBI!

Ahhh, I dont wanna get into it, but it really does vary. Big Island will always be home, but looking at it from other places in the world..there is much more to see.

My aunty feels intimidated when she visits this island. My boss feels the same way and refuses/avoids certain places.

Ahshiet 07-01-2013 08:42 PM

Drives like they still in the mainland just cause your blinker is on you don't have to cut me off geez

Vigo 07-01-2013 08:51 PM

And if you have your blinker on, and someone lets you cut in front of them, Throw up a shaka to say thanks! Or even a wave will do.

1uzrnr 07-09-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vigo (Post 7106103)
And if you have your blinker on, and someone lets you cut in front of them, Throw up a shaka to say thanks! Or even a wave will do.

That really messes with the people in Cali, I just got back from there and they trip over a friendly wave. :D